Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I owned 2 Evo's and loved them, Would I like an Sti?????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dus10
I own both an '05 Sti and an '05 MR, and if the '06 STi handles slightly better than the '05 then the Evo isn't as far ahead of the game as most think (stock for stock). As far as handling is concerned, that's a tough one. The Evo has quicker response and feels more nimble, it feels like it handles better I think because it's easier to get to turn in. I think the STi handles just as good, it's just different and you have to know how to drive it in order to get the most out of it. The Evo requires a little more driver commitment (skill) at the ragged edge; the STi is more forgiving to drivers that get in over their heads due to it's tendency to steer with the throttle ie: driver gets into a corner to hot and does like most uneducated drivers do and lets off the throttle when the car starts to drift outside... unconsciously they are doing what the STi likes and are inducing some over steer which will keep them from running off the road. If you know this about the STi and know how to trail brake proper then you could keep with a stock Evo in the corners, albeit you'll be working a little harder than the Evo driver.

Now as far as power, they are correct when they say that the Evo has more of a surge or a burst. It also has more lag and more boost which isn't necessarily a good thing. I'll take a smooth torque curve over a steep peaky one any day. This is where the .5 liter displacement comes into play. The STi is very sneaky in it's power delivery, it has almost no lag compared to the Evo, and is deceptively fast. It doesn't feel as quick as the Evo because it's smoother, but it gets to top speed a lot faster than the Evo without all the ruckus. The Evo sounds like your killing it when you rev it up around 6K, the STi is very subdued and almost quite. (stock)
You have to remember too that the STi is running a 225 tire and the Evo runs a 235 (oem) which is going to make a handling difference in and of itself. I'm running a 225 V rated snow tire on the MR right now and it reminds me a lot of the STi now going around corners. You won't dislike the STi once you drive it.
nice comments man, well said
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlelancer
too bad no one cares about ur opinion, your not an enthusiast ur just a fanboy of mitsu. Someone thats really into cars respects all.
No, not a fanboy. I'm on the team. Just because I think the Evo is superior doesn't mean I don't "respect" the STi, whatever that means. Explain why thinking one's car is better is dissing another? I'd love to to hear "ur" thoughts on that.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 24, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
No, not a fanboy. I'm on the team. Just because I think the Evo is superior doesn't mean I don't "respect" the STi, whatever that means. Explain why thinking one's car is better is dissing another? I'd love to to hear "ur" thoughts on that.
i give up on u...... i dont need to explain anything, hes asking for opinions and all u do is say the evo is superior, why dont u let us know why. We dont need your fanboy SUPERIOR opinion cause u own the car of course ur gonnna think its superior. Jumping to conclusions without saying anything = Busrider, banwagon, fanboy. U probably think ur car is better than a lambo now after you saw that thing on topgear about the FQ. and please lets it stop here, ur not worth my time arguing. IT doesn't matter what anyone says, every aspect of ur evo will always be better cuase thats how fanboy's work.