Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I owned 2 Evo's and loved them, Would I like an Sti?????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned 2 Evo's and loved them, Would I like an Sti?????

I had a 2004 evo VIII and a 2005 Evo RS. I loved both cars for everything they were. One thing in particular I loved was the amazing surge of power at 3500 rpms when full boost came on. I really want to buy an Evo IX but there might be some good rebates on the 05 sti's. What I'm wondering from any who have experienced both. What does the Sti's power band feel like compared to the Evo's? Does it pull just as hard and have that amazing surge of power? Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Im talking stock vs stock here. No mods.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove one before i bought my evo and the sti does pull harder (stock for stock )an seems easier to drive because of its displacement ! IMO and 0.02 !
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3ss
I test drove one before i bought my evo and the sti does pull harder (stock for stock )an seems easier to drive because of its displacement ! IMO and 0.02 !

what made you buy the Evo? I no it looks better then the sti but is there another reason?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

STi has a very linear and strong pull to it. Evo (as you know) has a big surge at 3.5k. To me, the STi feels heavier and a little less responsive. It does kick the tail out and can do some throttle lift oversteer, and that's fun.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock for stock, most people agree a STi is a better car. Because of the interior and better hp/torque figures. I love my STi in stock form, it's a great car with more creature comforts. But once you look into modding, Evos love mods. While on the other hand STis love money. Stock for stock you can't go wrong either way, when my turbo spools it's fast and hard and I don't think it's much different than the Evo. Although the Evo can pull through redline where the STi drops off at about 6k rpm. You can't go wrong either way man. Try it, what do you have to lose?

my two cents,
chaotichoax

an STi owner
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:27 PM

Both are great cars. I bought the STi because of the looks, interior and better low end grunt . And they don't have as many problems
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the motor is very nice. Handling-wise it won't equal your rs.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

STi powerband is very smooth, since it's a bigger displacement with a smaller turbo compare to the EVO, you won't feel the kick of power like EVO but it's still fast n everything.

But I don't think its as fast as the IX tho. Go drive it!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
Stock for stock, most people agree a STi is a better car. Because of the interior and better hp/torque figures. I love my STi in stock form, it's a great car with more creature comforts. But once you look into modding, Evos love mods. While on the other hand STis love money. Stock for stock you can't go wrong either way, when my turbo spools it's fast and hard and I don't think it's much different than the Evo. Although the Evo can pull through redline where the STi drops off at about 6k rpm. You can't go wrong either way man. Try it, what do you have to lose?

my two cents,
chaotichoax

an STi owner

So you feel a loss of power at 6,000 rpm's on the sti? That bugs me. I like it to pull harder all the way to redline. Is the evo's twin scroll turbo better then the sti's turbo? I no the evo puts out more boost which probably is what is causing the huge surge of power at 3,500.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

I will admit that the sti sounds better with exhaust then the evo and the dash set up is better as well. The front end hands down looks better on the evo and I love the front mount intercooler. Top mount = heat soak.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
So you feel a loss of power at 6,000 rpm's on the sti? That bugs me. I like it to pull harder all the way to redline. Is the evo's twin scroll turbo better then the sti's turbo? I no the evo puts out more boost which probably is what is causing the huge surge of power at 3,500.
Yes it's a fact, EVO's twin scroll turbo is better than STi turbo. STi is maxed out from the factory unlike EVO which u can still turn up the boost a bit in stock form.
And appearance wise, EVO is SOOOOO much better. Interior wise, STi is much better.
Handling wise, STi is a bit softer. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah the car just kind of drops off, tuning and mods can obvious help this but the power loss is definitely noticable. I think the STi turbo(vf39 - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure) is smaller. I'm actually in the air about my STi, I'm considering trading it in for an Evo because I'd like to mod my car but with the STi it won't be cheap. Not to say it won't be cheap in an Evo but you get my point.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

other things to point out...

STi - the guage panel is unmatched...it's incredible I could sit there and start my car over and over and my eyes will light up everytime

STi - better crash test ratings...the top mount intercooler helps in that aspect

STi - Boxster sound is pure sex
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

i had both.... and i can honestly say the evo handles slightly better.. but the sti's power is there.. You can tell there is a difference, especially downlow. Stock for stock the sti feels stronger and faster. My friend also told me in the sti he felt the pull more, compared to my 04 evo when i took him for a spin..... The sti's interior is nicer, boxer rumble sounds sick, but the evos exterior looks more aggressive. For some reason in my sti i havent had ricers rev at me really.. but when i had the evo.. *holy **** man* the world seems to be against you. Evyeroen was tryign to race me, but i never take teh bait, i rather not waste my gas. Anyways Build quality wise, the sti feels a bit more top notch.. maybe its cause of the interior, other than that.. its about the same thing.

Quick Reply: I owned 2 Evo's and loved them, Would I like an Sti?????