Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 STi owner checks out the new Evo IX MR...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you had fun driving an EVO. Anyhow, OT but just wanted to mention to you that you seem like you are one of the most mature 18 year old we've met on this forum just by the way you write and the way you describe your situation. A lot more mature than SOME of the Evo owners here!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alias
Glad you had fun driving an EVO. Anyhow, OT but just wanted to mention to you that you seem like you are one of the most mature 18 year old we've met on this forum just by the way you write and the way you describe your situation. A lot more mature than SOME of the Evo owners here!
Yep, was gonna say the same thing too. Props to your being young and mature and more power to you running your own business.
This is a really good thread.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good thing you didnt test drive the evo , cause if you did you would probably trade your sti in
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alias
thanks a lot dude, I appreciate it
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
good thing you didnt test drive the evo , cause if you did you would probably trade your sti in
heh, dont necessarily think so
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcwop23
i was all set to buy an STi but after I test drove the Evo and felt how awesome I felt in that seat i totally changed my mind

i also liked the less linear power-delivery to be honest, that thrust back into the seat never gets old.
same story here. I was gunna buy the STi that day, but the Mitsu dealership that NORMALLY doesn't let anyone test drive their cars, heard that I was going to SEAL the deal on an '05 STi that day... so they let me take it out. It was that test drive that changed my mind. They're very similar cars, but the Evo had such a great feel to it. Something the STi just lacked, its hard to put it into words.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

I am just wondering but Andrew why do you list your oil as a mod????
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

I had an 04 STi with the following
APS SR55, APS DR750, APS 3" tbe, APS cai, Nismo injectors, paralelled fuel line, walbro, ecuteck, tumbler deletes, APS bov, walbro, and a few smaller mods.
With a conservative tune, I was 345 awhp on pump 91 and just over 400 with 100.

As most of you guys know here with the money spent on the STi, the EVO would be a lot faster. What I really miss about the STi that the 9 doesn't have is the 6th gear and gauge cluster. I didn't get the SSL pkg due to the price but it sure would be nice to have the HID's.

What I don't understand is why so many hate the STi. It's an amazing car and gives the EVO one helluva a run for the money STOCK. I know for sure that the EVO is a lot more mod friendly but in due time with its larger displacement, parts will be more available and the STi will start rivaling the EVO in the 1/4 mile. I also know that a lot of you guys are using the 4G64 bottom end and that is amazingly hella fast. That's a fair comparison to the 2.5 STi.

All in all, I like my 9 more than I did my STi but it was fun running on 100 octane. The EVO has one of the best suspension (except the turing diameter) I have ever felt and someday my car will rival the best of them!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

andrew, thanks for hooking up yesterday. I too enjoyed the drive.

The STI was fun to drive as well. Like many have said, they are very similar cars but they go about things a bit differently. The STI felt like a very well refined car with great power delivery and good steering and handling. It had plenty of pull and felt like it would easily run through all all six gears with a minimum of effort. Also, like most have noticed, the interior construction on the STI is very nice and visually the car looks good both inside and outside. Sitting in the cockpit it feels like the STI is a smaller car, yet in many ways, it feels like the car is wrapped around the driver - almost like you are wearing it. The evo feels bigger on the inside with extra headroom and the roomy backseat. As andrew suggested earlier in this thread, this feeling of spaciousness in the Evo could be due to the slope and placement of the dash and front windscreen.

It was rather interesting getting back in my evo for the quick drive home. I immediately noticed how much more "road feedback" there is in the evo. Its a rough ride, noisy, and to me it has more of a racecar feel to it. It lacks the civil approach that the STI has. However, that is one of the main reasons that I bought this car - I dont mind the noise, the bumps, and the lack of comfort and in fact those things are as part of the car as anything else. I do wish I had a six speed gearbox though.

Thanks again, Andrew. Good fun.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I have to agree! AndrewSS is one of the most mature 18 year olds I have seen or heard on this forum!

Good for you AndrewSS! I hope you get an Evo one of these days! You really would like it!

I work at a dealership and can tell you that we do not let anybody but the person buying the Evo drive it! We keep our Evo's with 8-15 miles (PDI MILES ONLY) on them. I am more than sure that your salesperson was just following the rules! If you buy an EVO you should go back to that guy, he seemed decent from your post!

Best of luck,

Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eggy
I am just wondering but Andrew why do you list your oil as a mod????
lol, because synthetic oil adds horse power... hah, no I dont consider it a mod... I just put it in for the heck of it, I dunno
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hashiriya
andrew, thanks for hooking up yesterday. I too enjoyed the drive.

The STI was fun to drive as well. Like many have said, they are very similar cars but they go about things a bit differently. The STI felt like a very well refined car with great power delivery and good steering and handling. It had plenty of pull and felt like it would easily run through all all six gears with a minimum of effort. Also, like most have noticed, the interior construction on the STI is very nice and visually the car looks good both inside and outside. Sitting in the cockpit it feels like the STI is a smaller car, yet in many ways, it feels like the car is wrapped around the driver - almost like you are wearing it. The evo feels bigger on the inside with extra headroom and the roomy backseat. As andrew suggested earlier in this thread, this feeling of spaciousness in the Evo could be due to the slope and placement of the dash and front windscreen.

It was rather interesting getting back in my evo for the quick drive home. I immediately noticed how much more "road feedback" there is in the evo. Its a rough ride, noisy, and to me it has more of a racecar feel to it. It lacks the civil approach that the STI has. However, that is one of the main reasons that I bought this car - I dont mind the noise, the bumps, and the lack of comfort and in fact those things are as part of the car as anything else. I do wish I had a six speed gearbox though.

Thanks again, Andrew. Good fun.
Yeah, it was fun indeed. Hopefully sometime you take it to a OVR-SCCA autox here in columbus here in the spring! I know you will become addicted Anyway, see ya later.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

This has to be by far the biggest toss up for which car to buy in the history of cars.

I bought my first Evo b/c i new that is what i wanted, if i could go back to '03 i wish i would have test drove the STi as well. Lots of people have driven both cars and made there decision, but not enough. In the past couple of years its been "The Evo is a Great car but it lacks a little in power feel compared to the STi" or "The STi is awesome but handling wise its not there like the Evo". Now with the IX's its closer than Ever!!

I guess what im getting at is your either going to be a subaru guy or a mitsu guy but i like the fact that we can respect both sides with write ups like these.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vroompsh
It's funny you say that the Evo seems bigger, I always thought the STi seemed a bit bigger, bulkier...I think whats throwing you off is the Evo's HUGE windshield
The Evo is bigger. The Evo has a longer wheel base and has more room, especially in the back. My dad has a WRX. When I sit in it, it is much stuffier and the trunk space is smaller.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well im babysitting a STI for a year and i drove it for 2 days str8 and i must say i like it a lot.
before i purchased my EVO i was in the market for a STI but they wouldn't move on the price.

both cars are top notch it pretty much depends on whos buying it, but IMO, you can't go wrong in either car.