Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 STi owner checks out the new Evo IX MR...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew, one more thing - you've got me convinced to invest in some F&R anti-sway bars.

Definately looking forward to a track day & maybe some Auto-X. Even if I just go to shoot photos, I'm sure it'll be a blast hanging out.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hashiriya
Andrew, one more thing - you've got me convinced to invest in some F&R anti-sway bars.

Definately looking forward to a track day & maybe some Auto-X. Even if I just go to shoot photos, I'm sure it'll be a blast hanging out.
Haha, nice go for the bars! The STi is sooooo camber hungry, so I helped it out by putting on the whiteline x3006 FSB, its 27-29mm adjustable so its quite large compared to the 20mm that is stock. Anyway I dont know what is avaliable for the Evo's but the STi benefits very well from a large bar, it helps "retain" camber while loading it laterally this really helps for the STi because it is so front heavy and the front suspension/strut design really needs the help for camber. I would assume though that since the Evo is also front heavy and has pretty much the same front suspension (to my knowledge) I would assume a BIG FSB would do the same.

Anyway, im not much of an expert, just I like to discuss the BIG FSB thing... because many believe "oh just slap on a nice RSB and thats it" well a FSB is quite valuable, both is probably best but if you do 1 go for the FSB, but since my class in SCCA autox only lets me get a FSB, thats all I got and it does balance quite well!

Ok, well here is the local regions site: www.ovr-scca.org and then there is the bmwcca and pca for midohio stuff in the spring, OR the very expensive route (but very high quality) is going to http://www.midohioschool.com/school/ check it out I hope that helps you get to the track
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:48 PM

Can't speak for Evo 8's.. but the Evo 9 comes with a Front Strut Bar stock.

While answering Andrew's question, can anyone say wether or not the Stock FSB is "good enough" (being relative, I understand)

Thanks.

Kevin
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I wasnt talking about front strut tower bars... on the impreza, didnt notice/hear of, the firewall is so close to the strut towers that a bar is pure bling, doesnt do anything to rigidity, on the impreza atleast.

Anyway, im speaking about the STi (granted, the Evo is quite like it) a BIG FSB is nice if you are asking a lot of your tires (say autox/trackday) I would assume the need it diminished slightly if you can run camberplates with a lot of neg camber, granted DYNAMIC camber losses are still there and the FSB helps to dimish that, thus you have more front grip.... enough to totally eliminate understeer... no mine will still understeer (certain situations) at an autox if I make a mistake or something stupid... but front grip I believe is certaintly improved (steering feel is improved too, imo) anyway.... stock Evo bars are bigger (by 2mm if i remeber correctly, front and rear?) this is probably pretty good, just depends on what you are shooting for I suppose.

you could check out this thread @ nasioc: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=big+sway+bar

^has a good discussion about BIG fsb's that apply for the STi... so take it as it is.

Last edited by AndrewSS; Dec 19, 2005 at 05:57 PM.