Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 STi owner checks out the new Evo IX MR...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 STi owner checks out the new Evo IX MR...

Well today I was going to the dentist, the office is right by the mistu dealer so I decided since I was pretty close I had to check it out. I called ahead to see if they had one in, talked to a pretty nice guy named Chris. Anyway I went to go check it out, it was a grey one, the MR too. It was very nice, I love the new front end of the evo 9, its very nice. The MR is amazing, its expensive too, like $36,800 for that one compared to the $31,500 or so for my STi.

Anyway, like expected the seats just blew me away, tons better than the STi's seats... those recaros are amazing! I played with the pedals and gearbox, the throws were nice, nothing +/- compared to the STi feel, although the clutch feel was a bit diff just pressure wise. So anyway I brought proof that my STi was paid for and my insurance (wanted me to have it), etc I was hoping to get a test drive (at that time the area was free from snow and was a bit damp, but it had snowed earlier)

Well the salesman wouldnt let me take it out, that is understandable, but I was disapointed, the byers (hamilton) subaru let me drive the STi no problem without my parents there (I am 18 - no flames please, I am very lucky, I have a business and make good money and am in college). Granted circumstances were different here, basically I didnt make the false case that I REALLY wanted this car, I LOVE the new evo 9 but it would be RETARDED to trade in my new (bought in late june) STi for the evo 9 especially when I absolutly love my STi . So basically I didnt feel like BS'in the dude and lying to get a drive, I wasnt comfortable with leading him on. I really just wanted to drive the car to get a opinion. So I dont think it wasnt really my age, just the fact that the "MR" is all rare and they dont want people taking it out unless they know its very possibly going to be purchased... bleh I sure wish they let me

My impressions from just checking it out were the recaro seats are amazing, the back seat area is more spacious and really the interior isnt that bad. I like the view you get from the STi a little more, the dash feels smaller on the STi for some reason the Evo felt a bit bigger... kinda weird just sitting in it (view wise) but I suppose its just what im used to seeing is different.

Well anyway, I really wish I got to drive it, oh well maybe sometime I will, I just wanna get a personal opinion of the car, the STi and Evo are both great, I love both, I think I just fell in love with the STi first. Basically what im jealous of is the Evo's seats and I will guess I will be jealous of the quicker steering and somewhat grip'ier tires (wouldnt notice that till summer). All I know is I wanna drive one!

PS. For local guys that live in Columbus, OH that would like to test drive a 05 STi and would maybe let me drive their evo8 or 9 I would really like to do that. It wouldnt be much, all I wanna do is feel the way it drives and maybe hit it in 1-2 gears thats all nothing crazy just I wanna feel the car, I would in turn let you drive mine if you would like. I am asking this because apparently the dealers around here arnt that cool with the evo9's lol pm me or message me on AIM (bulletshell14) thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i was all set to buy an STi but after I test drove the Evo and felt how awesome I felt in that seat i totally changed my mind

i also liked the less linear power-delivery to be honest, that thrust back into the seat never gets old.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Whoa you have a business and go to school and make enough money for pay your bills, sounds like a tight schedule.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Cool dude, good write up. The reason they didn't let you take it out is because they knew you were not going to buy it. You have to show up with a check approved from the bank so they know you mean business. I wan't an MR so bad!!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
the subaru dealership in jacksonville almost threw the STi keys into my hands but the mitsu dealership ran a credit check first :/
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

^ yeah I know, I was hoping having the STi was good enough but I suppose it was if I REALLY pushed the point that I actually was willing to trade it in (I didnt feel good about taking advantage of him) oh well
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Im in Dublin, if you are interested. Do you have a blue STI? Did I possibly see you near Sawmill last night?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

It's funny you say that the Evo seems bigger, I always thought the STi seemed a bit bigger, bulkier...I think whats throwing you off is the Evo's HUGE windshield
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

hashiriya,

hey, thanks man, maybe we can work something out this weekend, i wasnt out last night so it wasnt me I am in a blue/silver sti for winter (silver bbs's for winter) anyway message me on AIM if you have it

Last edited by AndrewSS; Dec 16, 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, if you run your own business and afford your own car, more power to you! I wish I had my own business.

I actually liked this thread. It didn't have the usual "should I trade-in my STi/SRT-4/350Z/G35 for an Evo because it's my dream car/I like the big wing/I need 4WD/I should have done this done that" crap.

If you really want to drive an Evo, look for a used one. The dealer should be more inclined to let you go for a test drive. Just tell them you're buying it for your younger brother or something.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vroompsh
It's funny you say that the Evo seems bigger, I always thought the STi seemed a bit bigger, bulkier...I think whats throwing you off is the Evo's HUGE windshield
it was sorta the dash/windshield, and maybe since you cant see much of the hood from the seat that set me off (almost like the last gen camaro/firebird feel, except not NEARLY as bad, lol, you know what I mean, that sort of effect), I bet driving it would have made it seem smaller. But jumping in the STi seems smaller but duhhh I own it so im used to it.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

ah - I reread your post. I saw an '06 last night near Sawmill Plaza. He had a huge grin when we passed by each other in the parking lot.

Sorry - no AIM here, but if you wanna PM back and forth to get contact details, its cool. I'll be out and about Saturday, but if you dont mind one of my Japanese friends hanging with then Saturday would be fine. Sunday is open also. Lets just hope for melting snow!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hashiriya
ah - I reread your post. I saw an '06 last night near Sawmill Plaza. He had a huge grin when we passed by each other in the parking lot.

Sorry - no AIM here, but if you wanna PM back and forth to get contact details, its cool. I'll be out and about Saturday, but if you dont mind one of my Japanese friends hanging with then Saturday would be fine. Sunday is open also. Lets just hope for melting snow!
Ok, pm(s) sent

edit** -- did you get that one, for some reason it might not have gone through...

Last edited by AndrewSS; Dec 16, 2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

got your PM and replied as well. Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

well thanks matt (hashiriya) I had fun driving your Evo, and I had fun letting you drive my STi. I liked it a lot, the car is great... granted it was cold and wet for the driving, but still some impressions were made.

Overall now that I drove an Evo, I feel better, I feel relieved... lol! I do wanna drive one in the summer time or something in better conditions or at an autox, that would be awesome. Anyway, the seats again are awesome, I wasnt quite used to the pedals (duh) but overall everything felt good. Steering was nice and quick.... not a whole lot different than my 05 STi, granted I have a whiteline 29mm big FSB on my STi so that improved steering response and feel some. Anyway, both are great, they feel very similar, I didnt get enough driving or good enough conditions to "explore" but whatever maybe in the summer. Oh and the extra .5l you get in the STi really showed, the Evo was laggier than the STi on power delivery although nothing crazy.

Anyway, great cars, we are lucky to be blessed with such amazing machines here... pick whatever you like best that is all I have to say!