Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo TImers....A novelty?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm only going to say it once. Please search. You had an 03, so you've been around a while, but you have to search before asking questions like this. We just had a long conversation about it a day or two ago, and that was probably the 100th time we've talked about it.

People buy them all the time, but it's really not necessary on this turbo. If you get it, it won't hurt a thing. It's not expensive and is a good idea, but all you really need to do is not go WOT right into your parking space, then turn the car off. Take it easy the last few minutes before you stop, wait 10-20s, then shut it off. If you've been driving hard just before parking, then maybe wait a minute. If you've been racing, then I suggest taking a nice 5-min drive at low rpm out of boost, then a minute or two at idle, but for daily use, a TT is not required.
I guess you've never been late to work before!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i'm late to class a lot, and that was when I lived right next to the college lol. Now the closest one is like 30 mintues away. TT will help a lot lol
Old Dec 19, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I got one in the "for sale" section for $75 w/ harness. I try to stay out of boost for a few minutes before parking, but some times, i just don't feel like it.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

My Post

Thanks guys for your input, seems I always say that? Because I mean it Sorry to the guy about not searching, I did, but came up with nothing, not sure what is wrong, but I can't search at all on this web site. Any Clues? Maybe I am trying to be too specific. Anyway, Thanks again...............Jeff
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

oil/water cooled turb + synthetic oil.... TT's are a novelty for turbo life. They may have other functions, but the turbo will be fine without one if you use commone sense for the last 2 minutes of your drive. If you guys are "in the boost" in parking lots, you got bigger issues !
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:25 PM

Are the return lines that level that gravity can't empty the oil and coolant out of the turbo after shutting the car off? I would really like to learn more about the vehicle and it's setup, but I can't think of any reason. We never use them on Subarus so I would really like to know why it's recommended because it sounds more like a novelty to me.

Somebody school me please...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by benninetanyahoo
Are the return lines that level that gravity can't empty the oil and coolant out of the turbo after shutting the car off? I would really like to learn more about the vehicle and it's setup, but I can't think of any reason. We never use them on Subarus so I would really like to know why it's recommended because it sounds more like a novelty to me.

Somebody school me please...
the oil will gravity flow out, as the oil return goes back to the oil pan well below (about 12-18"'s). But the water system if liquid full, all the time. Hence the need for an overflow bottle. The water side will never drain, even on the WRX's. I guess I don't understand the angle that you're coming from. If you mean for coking reasons, there will always be an oil film left on the bearings and other hot portions of the turbo, even if it will gravity drain. So "coking" will be an issue even with gravity drain, but the synthetic oil and water cooling jacket essentially eliminate the "coking" issue except for really stupid things like being in boost for a several minutes like you would be on a road course, and then slamming on the brakes and immediately shutting the engine down.