Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo TImers....A novelty?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo TImers....A novelty?

I am trying to decide if I am going to put a turbo timer on my IX. I had a HKS Type 1 on my EVO VIII and found that on "auto" it would only idle down for like 10 seconds and shut off. Now I know it depends on driving habbits, but for me, I don't drive the **** out of my car all the time, actually not that often. I just find that maybe a turbo timer is just a novelty thing to have. what is your opinion? I mean, I mean, I know what it suppose to do, help circulate oil through the turbo to help it cool down, but if you let your car idle down for a minute or so, do you really think that is going to make a difference on oil that would burn your skin right off if you touched it, after a minute or not? I don't know, are there some Mechanics or someone out there that can shed some light on this, I just don't want to **** my money away is all, and I know a new turbo is more than a timmer, but if it meant that much to longevity why doesn't state somewhere you should do it? Its there money for warranty work right? so you would think they would care. But anyway, Ten cents from people in the Know would be much appreciated, thanks all...............Jeff
Old Dec 17, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm only going to say it once. Please search. You had an 03, so you've been around a while, but you have to search before asking questions like this. We just had a long conversation about it a day or two ago, and that was probably the 100th time we've talked about it.

People buy them all the time, but it's really not necessary on this turbo. If you get it, it won't hurt a thing. It's not expensive and is a good idea, but all you really need to do is not go WOT right into your parking space, then turn the car off. Take it easy the last few minutes before you stop, wait 10-20s, then shut it off. If you've been driving hard just before parking, then maybe wait a minute. If you've been racing, then I suggest taking a nice 5-min drive at low rpm out of boost, then a minute or two at idle, but for daily use, a TT is not required.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shafts on most turbochargers spin in excess of 50,000 RPM and generate lots of heat. To keep your turbocharger's heat under control, most are cooled by circulating oil or water (coolant) around the shaft. The turbocharger's shaft is free to rotate at will and there is no way to stop the shaft from spinning after shutting the engine off. To dissipate and stabilze the heat in the turbocharger, most manufacturers recommend that a car be idled for a period of time after moderate to hard driving to allow the oil/water to take heat out of the turbocharger.

Failure to reduce the temperature of the turbo could result in the oil around the shaft "coking". Coking is basically the baking of oil, turning it into a hard substance that could plug your oil lines and cause oil "starvation", preventing proper cooling of your turbocharger and reducing it's operating lifespan.

----just all depends on how hard you drive your car before shutting it off----
Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

that was one of the first mods i purchased after getting my 05 VIII. i tell you its alota nicer not having to sit by the car for a min . especially in this florida heat. for something as cheap as they go for i feel its worth it.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

I'd think that letting your engine run at normal idle speed for a half a minute or whatnot after being pushed hard a bit would help the engine not to mention the turbo. Probably if it does it's not by much, but every bit counts if you're going to keep your car for a long time.

For me, if I get an evo i'd like to have remote start, for hot days to cool down the inside, and for cold to heat up the inside, and in both cases to warm up the engine before driving. A turbotimer would help with a manual car because every time you leave it, it has to be in neutral, and 100% ready for remote start, because of the turbotimer.

That's like 80% of why I would get one since people say you don't need it, but it wont hurt anything and my theory is it would help the engine and turbo a bit.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:30 PM

The thing you have to remember is that you don't need the turbo cool, just not super pissed off hot. EGT's reach into the 900 degree C range. You don't need it cool to the touch, just cooler than that. The oil in the pan stays < 100C (according to my temp gauge) so pumping a 30 seconds worth of 100C oil thru a turbo at 800+C really carries the heat away quickly. If you can cool it down to under where the oil will coke up, then you should be safe.

That said, they really are a bit of a gizmo. I mean if you really wanted to, you could rig up a timed relay that should do the same job with no display, no beeping, no nothing. But people like the display, the extra functions etc that the timers provide.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Just a small point. If you are using the recommended synthetic oil then coking (high temp turns the oil to goo) is not an issue. Synthetic oil will not coke.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:53 PM

I don't think TT's are necessary my oil temp actually increases when the car is idling... according to the factory guages... I usually do what a lot of other drivers have mentioned just stay out of boost before you park and maybe let the car idle for a few seconds and you should be good
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

I have used them in the past on other turbo cars but they are more of a novelty than anything. If you just driving conservatively for a few mins before you shut it off you should be fine. I am not saying I won't ever get one for my EVO as I very well may just break down and order one but its not really necessary.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

On the racetrack, turbo timers can be dangerous. One guy went off track and his car caught on fire. Luckily he had a fire extinguisher, and he put the engine fire out right away. However, IT STARTED AGAIN. He put it out again with the extinguisher and IT STARTED YET AGAIN. His Turbo Timer kept pumping oil after the engine was shut off, feeding the fire over and over.

Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fst4door
I don't think TT's are necessary my oil temp actually increases when the car is idling... according to the factory guages... I usually do what a lot of other drivers have mentioned just stay out of boost before you park and maybe let the car idle for a few seconds and you should be good
that would be because the heat from the turbo is being transfered to the oil
I let my na cars idle a bit before shutdown after hard driving also
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:55 PM

Get the TT, it's not that expensive. If you are ever in a hurry, you'll know what I mean.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Turbo timers have more than one function... for example, it's nice being able to start the car in the morning and time it for 10 min w/ the heat blasting (in the process of warming up) and defrost on... then lock the doors and go back inside. There's a few other creative things you can do too.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
On the racetrack, turbo timers can be dangerous. One guy went off track and his car caught on fire. Luckily he had a fire extinguisher, and he put the engine fire out right away. However, IT STARTED AGAIN. He put it out again with the extinguisher and IT STARTED YET AGAIN. His Turbo Timer kept pumping oil after the engine was shut off, feeding the fire over and over.
The turbo timer can't pump oil if the engine is off.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

my blitz turbo timer increases time w/ the harshness of my driving. also its wired so that it will only work when the e-brake is engaged, there for if i cut my ingnition off w/ the ebrake down, the car shuts off immediately.