Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

XenonDepot Kits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Why is it weird? All Evo's have had 9006 bulb size since 2003.

Other people have put kits on their non-SSLs, why would mine be messed up compared to theirs?

What are you getting at?

/ancker
all 03's had and use d2s not 9006 since they are all OEM hid, and as far as i have heard in 04 they didnt change the projector for the ones without HID and in the 05+ they did, and went with a cheaper halogen projector, for the headlinghts that didnt have the SSL package

the output on your halogen projector, will not compare to the out put on the true oem HID that came in 03

for the other people that put kits in their non -ssl chekc what year and ask for a wall shot see how their cutoff looks, then search the forum and see how it compare to the ones from 03...

Last edited by lookslikeanevo; Dec 19, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo robert
and xenon depot is good stuff had their kit on my rsx for 2 years problem free!
unless you had projectors retroed into your RSX, people will be able to tell the difference
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

I have a XD 4300K kit on my 2005 GSR. I didn't think cutoff was bad. The comparison car is a E90 330I:

Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I can't really tell what's going on there. Your exposure on that shot is way too long.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
I can't really tell what's going on there. Your exposure on that shot is way too long.
I just left my camera in auto mode, but you can see the cutoff on the garage door.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by llxzxll
output sucks on a NON-ssl 05-06 headlight b/c those are HALOGEN projectors. a VERY different animal than the HID projector. you will not get a precise cut-off, you will have slight glare, and you will have "hot spots" with hid kits. oem is the way to go.
I would agree. I have the Helios 6000k kit on my '05 and I do not care for the cutoff at all and there are definitely hot spots. I am considering going back to stock bulbs but what I would really like is an HID kit that looks like factory. I didn't want a sunroof or leather seats.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JawwadH
i had the xd 6000 kit on my old rsx and i loved it.
welcome.

XD kits are good stuff, I had them in my rsx also, dual 5k in low and fogs, now the 5k from the rsx fogs are in my evo fogs. Great kits, work good, etc.

I also have a 4k kit in my r6, they're good stuff.

And as with anything, you'll have purists, and rule-nanny's. You won't have a proper cutoff, and you won't have the ability to adjust the lights up and down (in cabin).

If you adjust them down enough, they'll be bright to oncoming traffic, but just make sure they're set like stock headlights are, at a distance of 25 feet, the top part of the light, should be 1" below the little circle in the middle of your housing, in front of the light.

Do that, and you'll have plenty of light, and other drivers, once they realize they're not your brights, will get used to it in your general area.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llxzxll
gg ignorance.

not saying xenondepot doesn't give out quality products as i've seen many people satisfied with the kits. i have yet to hear any horror stories from phillips kits as i have heard of mccullough. unfortunately, a kit on a halogen projector is never going to be as good as oem.

people who are "satisfied" with their kits don't mind having ugly hot spots rather than the nice even spread of light than oem HID projectors put out. they also don't mind the not-so-defined cut-off from their kits. however, perfectionists like me, who want the oem quality light output and spread, will NOT be satisfied.

just like stated above, go to hidplanet.com and read up from people who work on HID's. don't say it's wrong info without having knowledge yourself.
this is true, but i actually don't care for the stock cutoff. Try reading a street sign thats 10-12 feet tall, with a beam that will NEVER touch it. with stock lights, i could be sitting 20 feet away from a sign at night, and couldn't see it.

The only reason i see it now, is the HID fogs i have are adjusted down, but throw out just enough light everywhere, that reflective stuff lights up.

And yes, they're bright, but if you're dumb enough to stare into the headlights of oncoming traffic when you're driving...
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo robert
and xenon depot is good stuff had their kit on my rsx for 2 years problem free!

Word, I had one of their kit in my last car for about 2yrs as well... and I never had a problem.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Cadawg, RESIZE THAT DAMN PIC! ****, infranview is your friend.

I had xenon depot 5000K in my RSX and they had a lot of problems. The plug did not fit well into one of the ballast. I had problems w/ water getting into the connectors and corrosion. I had researched and no one else had an issue. I did not install mine on my hood either. I put the ballast where everyone else did. I also had a yellow hue in one of mine. I sold them to a friend of mine and he had something go out ballast/buld/relay. It wasnt' the fuse and he was too lazy to do tests to see exactly what went wrong. I contacted them SEVERAL times to try to resolve the issues, but they said everything seemed normal and they stopped selling the 5000K. Some others had the same issues w/ the 5000K only. All that being said I would still buy from them b/c I know their products are good quality, but apparently the 5000K had some issues. Problems is, they knew the 5000K had issues and instead of helping us that had a problem that acted like everything was fine, but pulled them from their product line.

Here is a pic. You can see the driver's side is yellow-ish. Looked worse in person. And no, they weren't THAT bright, my photography skills suck.
Attached Thumbnails XenonDepot Kits-109_0975.jpg  

Last edited by 600RR; Dec 20, 2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 600RR
Cadawg, RESIZE THAT DAMN PIC! ****, infranview is your friend.

I had xenon depot 5000K in my RSX and they had a lot of problems. The plug did not fit well into one of the ballast. I had problems w/ water getting into the connectors and corrosion. I had researched and no one else had an issue. I did not install mine on my hood either. I put the ballast where everyone else did. I also had a yellow hue in one of mine. I sold them to a friend of mine and he had something go out ballast/buld/relay. It wasnt' the fuse and he was too lazy to do tests to see exactly what went wrong. I contacted them SEVERAL times to try to resolve the issues, but they said everything seemed normal and they stopped selling the 5000K. Some others had the same issues w/ the 5000K only. All that being said I would still buy from them b/c I know their products are good quality, but apparently the 5000K had some issues. Problems is, they knew the 5000K had issues and instead of helping us that had a problem that acted like everything was fine, but pulled them from their product line.

Here is a pic. You can see the driver's side is yellow-ish. Looked worse in person. And no, they weren't THAT bright, my photography skills suck.
...they pulled the 5k for a few reasons, to the best of my knowledge, one being sales, two being that they were "coated" 4300 bulbs. whereas the 6k's were different completely.

don't know what you mean with a plug not fitting, it was simple clip and go. unless you stuck it in sideways, thats about the only way it wouldn't fit

In a time when mcculloch's were failing like silverstars, the xd's were champ.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

i liked my old 5000k XD kit
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi

don't know what you mean with a plug not fitting, it was simple clip and go. unless you stuck it in sideways, thats about the only way it wouldn't fit
See, it's that kind of condescening attitude that got us off to the wrong foot on crsx. You think I don't know how to plug things up? Hmm, let me spell this out for you like I have before. The plugs would not plug into another on one side. You had to push very hard. I guess they were molded correctly or something. Hard to imagine everyone's experience isn't exactly like yours huh?

Last edited by 600RR; Dec 20, 2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 600RR
See, it's that kind of condescening attitude that got us off to the wrong foot on crsx. You think I don't know how to plug things up? Hmm, let me spell this out for you like I have before. The plugs would not plug into another on one side. You had to push very hard. I guess they were molded correctly or something. Hard to imagine everyone's experience isn't exactly like yours huh?
positive experience or not, issues like this make me wonder how people get through the day, unhelped.

pictures, although grainy, show how to connect.

If the plug was mis-molded, then send it back!
Attached Thumbnails XenonDepot Kits-img_4481.jpg  
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

That's the ever popular warmpepsi I remember. Such a nice guy. Do you, by any chance, live in a trailer park? So quick to patronize when you are on the computer.

yep, you got it, I need help to get through my day, I would LOVE for you to come to Memphis and assist me.