Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

XenonDepot Kits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XenonDepot Kits

Has anyone installed one of these kits?
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=8

They use philips bulbs and ballasts so they look like a good product.

/ancker
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ancker
Has anyone installed one of these kits?
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=8

They use philips bulbs and ballasts so they look like a good product.

/ancker

You can't go wrong with this kit. Their price is awesome compared to other vendors, still some may think its too much for the kit.

However, I went with McKulloch(?) kit from Ebay for only $259. I couldn't resist the price.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:02 AM

i had the xd 6000 kit on my old rsx and i loved it.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

you can get the mculloch kits Here

oh i dont think your bulb size is 9006 is it?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
you can get the mculloch kits Here

oh i dont think your bulb size is 9006 is it?
Umm, yeah...the bulb size on a non-HID headlamp is 9006.

/ancker
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

weird...i would ask the pther 05 non ssl guys that went hid for a cutoff pitcure then...i rememebr talking to ta guy with a ix and he said that when he tried to put in hid on his non ssl headlamp, output sucked there was this yellow bar htat didtn look good
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Why is it weird? All Evo's have had 9006 bulb size since 2003.

Other people have put kits on their non-SSLs, why would mine be messed up compared to theirs?

What are you getting at?

/ancker
Old Dec 19, 2005, 07:00 AM

xenon depot uses phillips ballasts, the only way to go.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

output sucks on a NON-ssl 05-06 headlight b/c those are HALOGEN projectors. a VERY different animal than the HID projector. you will not get a precise cut-off, you will have slight glare, and you will have "hot spots" with hid kits. oem is the way to go.

p.s. you will notice a difference over your halogen of course, but it will never be as clean as an oem projector/hid set-up.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

For $379.99, why not buy a TRUE OEM kit from hidplanet (i.e. not rebased)? It includes E46 Bosch Projectors, Philips 4100K D2S bulbs, and Hella Gen III LVQ-212 ballasts. It might take a bit of work fitting the Bosch Projectors into the headlamp assembly though. They're 2.25" in diameter. They're one of the smaller projectors on the market, so it may not be a direct fit, but at least it's not too large. What's the diameter of the Evo's projectors, does anyone know?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llxzxll
output sucks on a NON-ssl 05-06 headlight b/c those are HALOGEN projectors. a VERY different animal than the HID projector. you will not get a precise cut-off, you will have slight glare, and you will have "hot spots" with hid kits. oem is the way to go.

p.s. you will notice a difference over your halogen of course, but it will never be as clean as an oem projector/hid set-up.
wow, I have never heard this.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 600RR
wow, I have never heard this.
seriously thats some wrong info without a source.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

and xenon depot is good stuff had their kit on my rsx for 2 years problem free!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo robert
Please go here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

There are many threads regarding poor output when it comes to halogen projectors.

The glare and hot spots phenomenon is much more apparent on HIDs placed into reflector housings. However, it is also apparent in many (not all) halogen projectors. One extreme case is the halogen projectors out of an Acura Integra. If you tried placing HIDS into that car directly, it is known to have terrible output. I believe the same can be said of the Silvia S13 halogen projectors. I saw an RSX-S on the road the other day with an 6000k HID kit in his halogen reflector housings. It looked like trash. The f**ker had such massive glare that I wanted to smack the guy upside the head for being so inconsiderate of other drivers on the road.

However, an opposite case in which halogen projectors have been fantastic for HIDs are the Valeo's that come in the Audi A4's. They have fantastic cutoff and output with HID bulbs.

The problem with halogen projectors is that their optics are designed differently. One example is the focal point of the light being emitted from the bulb. As you all know, the point at which a HID bulb emits the bulk of its light is way different than a halogen bulb since it is longer and designed differently. In addition, halogen projectors are designed with different cutoffs as well, and oftentimes flare way above acceptable levels when HID bulbs are placed in them.

I'm not sure how compatible the halogen projectors on a non-SSL Evo are with HID bulbs. I believe they are acceptable, but still nowhere near as good as with HID projectors.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo robert
gg ignorance.

not saying xenondepot doesn't give out quality products as i've seen many people satisfied with the kits. i have yet to hear any horror stories from phillips kits as i have heard of mccullough. unfortunately, a kit on a halogen projector is never going to be as good as oem.

people who are "satisfied" with their kits don't mind having ugly hot spots rather than the nice even spread of light than oem HID projectors put out. they also don't mind the not-so-defined cut-off from their kits. however, perfectionists like me, who want the oem quality light output and spread, will NOT be satisfied.

just like stated above, go to hidplanet.com and read up from people who work on HID's. don't say it's wrong info without having knowledge yourself.

Last edited by llxzxll; Dec 19, 2005 at 10:57 AM.