Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't park the car in gear only...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonEvo
Just think if you left it in gear on accident and started it, you could run somebody over.
You realise that most of the world doesnt have this depress clucth to start switch? Its mainly cause you yanks are so goddam lawyer happy.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Why would you ever do that anyway? There's no reason not to set the parking brake.
+1
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Funny thing I noticed,

when I am parked on a hill and put the car in gear so that it doesn't roll back, it still does. Not freely but it jerks back a little by little. Seems the gears can't hold the cars weight. Have to avoid putting it in gear without the park break. Thought I would share.
If you park uphill and your nose is pointing up then you must use first gear (the most compression and hardest to move)
If you park downhill and your nose is pointing down, then engage reverse.

If you don't do the two things I mentioned before I can push your car with a finger.

Try parking your car downhill with the front of the car facing the same direction( facing down )and engage 5th gear and see what up. I can push your car gently and your car will roll easily.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On manual cars your always supose to put the parking brake when you park followed by putting the car in gear as a safety in case the brake doesn't hold the car. You should never put the stress of the cars weight on the transmition it's not made to hold the car.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the problem here...If you park on a hill, use the parking brake. I have always left all of my cars in gear all of the time. If there is a hill, I also use the parking brake, if no hill, then I just leave it in gear.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GDSM
Whats the problem here...If you park on a hill, use the parking brake. I have always left all of my cars in gear all of the time. If there is a hill, I also use the parking brake, if no hill, then I just leave it in gear.

+1
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

wow, we are all back in high school Drivers Ed.

Teacher, whats a "J-turn"?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=bigfishs]You realise that most of the world doesnt have this depress clucth to start switch? QUOTE]

right, but we are all talking about our evos not the rest of the world
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:58 AM

The reason why the car wont roll back is because it needs to build compression in the cylinders. So lets say if you took off the spark plugs and left the car in gear, the car would roll down almost as if it wasnt in gear.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by tke_413
I've noticed the same thing, if I park on my driveway to wash the car (it's steep)...it'll creep back with it in 1st gear if the parking brake is not engaged.
Yeah i agree, i use to only use the parking break. ONe day i was parked on a steep hill and could actually hear the rotor/break pad slippage (vibrating sound). From that point on I just leave it in 1st and e-brake.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by voidhawk
There is a reason if the brakes are hot and you don't want your pads to stick or transfer material to the rotors .
i would agree, but from what i experienced the front rotors tend to get the hottest due to surface area and load of breaking. My car currenlty has warped front rotors, something I find to be normal among evo users. Do people actually ahve warped rear rotors?? Im sure it could happen, but not likely. With that in mind, the e-brake necessarily wouldn't affect the front brake/rotor from either warpage or pad transfer when applied after heavy use, e-brake is for the rear anyway. right?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Cool

doesnt the ECO have an internal parking brake anyway on the rear rotor??? i dont think that it is going to transfer pad material like you think because it is not the actual pad it is the shoe that is in the rotor housing. WHY IS EVERYONE ARGUING ANYWAYS?? JUST USE THE DARNED PARKING BRAKE!!! THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR!!!! EVERYONES SAFETY!!!!! okay had to get that out....
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Why would you ever do that anyway? There's no reason not to set the parking brake.
Unless you live in the Icy East Coast...Your Ebrake can Freeze on if your not carefull. Happened to me once!!!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

oh and i have the "warped" rotors too. i just think that they have "hotspots" that make you think you have warped rotors. i can depress the brakes while coming to a stop at 65mph, and let up at about 45 mph and depress them again and the "warping" seem to go away for awhile. ahh well....
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Do Evos use the Brembro disk brakes when the e-brake is on?

My Eclipse has a drum brake type of mechanism that is only used for the e-brake.

Quick Reply: Don't park the car in gear only...