Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't park the car in gear only...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also heard a theory from my friend with a 90 Eclipse that leaving the car parked in gear with no parking brake can cause the hydraulic tensioner to put tension on one side of the timing belt and the other part of the timing belt is very loose, so when you start your car the timing belt could possibly jump especially over time? Which he demonstrated for me on his 4G63 that is on the engine stand for a winter refreshing.. (There is more to this but I dont have the technical terminology my friend has so thats the basics of what he was telling me).

When I park I use the E-brake, shut the car off...Then before i get out I slide it into 1st for a safety thing but no tension is on the drivetrain whatsoever because the tension is on the brakes.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Turbo timer = no leaving car in gear. hand brake is good, if it slips get it adjusted.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I also don't put mine in gear, because I keep the clutch-start switch disconnected, which means I crank up the car without touching the clutch pedal.
hey i want to know how to do that
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slostjoe
hey i want to know how to do that
point your head under the clutch pedal. you'll see a limit switch on a bracket directly below the travlel of the pedal. I have not disconected it myself but I would bet it's just a plug coming or going from the switch to somwhere in the ignition harness.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

if clutch pedal disabled, wouldn't the car not start if it were left in gear? therefor making it impossible to "run someone over". sounds like a new thread
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
According to the New Jersey Driving Handbook thinger...when you park uphill...you are suppose to have the wheels facing away from the curb...the purpose of this is so that if the car slips the front tire catches the curb...

reasoning for this is if you have an icey condition and the car can actually pick up enough momentum waiting for the back wheels to hit the curb so that it will continue to slip...that is why you are suppose to have your front wheels face away from the curb so the curb stops the car immediately
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

I have a compustar turbo timer/ alarm/ remote start. I never leave my car in gear since it disables the timer and auto start. I've had no problems with the hand brake not holding.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
According to the New Jersey Driving Handbook thinger...when you park uphill...you are suppose to have the wheels facing away from the curb...the purpose of this is so that if the car slips the front tire catches the curb...

reasoning for this is if you have an icey condition and the car can actually pick up enough momentum waiting for the back wheels to hit the curb so that it will continue to slip...that is why you are suppose to have your front wheels face away from the curb so the curb stops the car immediately
I don't think they realize how poorly our cars turn..hahah.. lol..

oh and about the remote start in a 5 speed. My friend has it on his accord and if we are in an open parking lot. He'll leave it in gear and start it. It's so funny. It'll just hop forward for a few seconds. Then he kills it with the remote start.. lol.. it's funny to watch.

-Chad-
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Well here's the official answer, written by god himself:

1. Pull into a parking space. Whenever possible, park perpendicular to the hill.

2. Park parallel to the curb if you must park parallel to the hill. Use your brakes gratuitously while accomplishing this.

3. Turn the steering wheel toward the curb if the car is facing downhill. The front part of the front tire should be turned into the curb.

4. Turn the wheel away from the curb if the car is facing uphill. The back of the front tire should be turned into the curb.

5. Put the car in park. For manual transmissions, leave the car in gear.

6. Set the parking brake.

7. Lift your foot off the brake. If the car slips, park again closer to the curb and reset the wheels against the curb.

Tips:
Turn the wheels all the way into the curb, as far as they'll go.

or just do this:
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo3matt
if clutch pedal disabled, wouldn't the car not start if it were left in gear? therefor making it impossible to "run someone over". sounds like a new thread
It’s just a sensor in front of the pedal if you disconnect it the car will think that the clutch is down when you go to start it up. It’s just like the doors on the car; if you don't shut them the light comes on telling you to shut them. If you disable the plug or cut it the light will go off even though the door is open. here is a pic of the sensor you could just put a zip tie over it and it would work too.
Attached Thumbnails Don't park the car in gear only...-100_0057.jpg  
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax

Wow, New Jersey actually have that in the handbook?
I could almost swear they didn't have it when I was taking my test. NJ handbook is a pile of garbage. A bunch of useless crap they make you learn and very few usefull driving related things.
I failed my first test because I didn't pay attention to useless crap, ie. questions like what was the percentage of drunk drivers in year 19xx or what did the drunkest ones drink
Wonder if other states teach differently and better. Compared to the exam I had in Europe, this was garbage and they don't really teach you a whole lot.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brodienuchies
Unless you live in the Icy East Coast...Your Ebrake can Freeze on if your not carefull. Happened to me once!!!

i have to agree with him. i live in minnesota nd if you drive around and get slush and crap and put your parking brake on overnight.... good luck getting your car to move the next day. ( tapping on the brake or rotor with a hammer helps) plus i dont have to push the clutch in to start it. is my evo special???
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

oohhhhh duhh nevermind the guy before me had a remote starter installed im guessing thats why i dont have to push the clutch in.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

TAKE DRIVER'S ED....jk but i dont think the car's supposed to roll back with it in gear
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the guy who wanted to know, the E brake does not use the disks. there is a little puny assed drum brake inside the rear hubs.

Quick Reply: Don't park the car in gear only...