Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't park the car in gear only...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
If you park uphill and your nose is pointing up then you must use first gear (the most compression and hardest to move)
If you park downhill and your nose is pointing down, then engage reverse.
Actually, you got it backwards.

If in fact you do use the parking brake.....

If you're parked UP HILL, You should use reverse.
DOWN HILL, use 1st gear.

If you use first gear while parking up hill and the car does move it will rotate your eninge backwards, which is no big deal, but the engine is also rotating the valvetrain via the timing belt. Its not meant to pull tension on the cam gears in the opposite direction.

Same thing when parking the car facing down hill in reverse.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Those are 2 completely separate switches, so it does work. I know first-hand.

You can disconnect the clutch-start and retain the built-in 5k limiter. You can disconnect both, or you can disconnect the 5k limiter and retain the clutch-start. Those combinations are obvious once you know there are 2 separate switches. I now keep my factory 2-step switch connected, because of my new 6k Dynoflash 2-step (it requires the stock switch to be connected), but I still have my clutch-start switch disconnected.
Good to know, as I may be trading mine in soon, thanks for the info.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Actually, you got it backwards.

If in fact you do use the parking brake.....

If you're parked UP HILL, You should use reverse.
DOWN HILL, use 1st gear.

If you use first gear while parking up hill and the car does move it will rotate your eninge backwards, which is no big deal, but the engine is also rotating the valvetrain via the timing belt. Its not meant to pull tension on the cam gears in the opposite direction.

Same thing when parking the car facing down hill in reverse.
Uummm, yeah, the timing belt has nothing to do with it. Forward, reverse, whatever, it doesn't matter. 1st gear has the highest ratio, which means if you are not on a compression stroke somehow, that the car will move the least before coming on compression which is what prevents the engine from turning. The problem is that we have low compression engines, so it doesn't put up much of a fight.
Just use your e-brake (which IS a small drum setup inside the rear rotor) and it won't matter if you're in-gear. out of gear, forward, reverse, whatever.
I actually can't believe this thread has lasted this long.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
I think your wrong. It does use the disks brakes
No, ur wrong, it uses a drum brake separate from the disc brakes, otherwise rear rotors would be warping like crazy and pad transfer would be nutz. . .
Old Dec 23, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Funny thing I noticed,

when I am parked on a hill and put the car in gear so that it doesn't roll back, it still does. Not freely but it jerks back a little by little. Seems the gears can't hold the cars weight. Have to avoid putting it in gear without the park break. Thought I would share.
I noticed that as well. I parked in the driveway at my friends condo, and the driveway was short and steep. I put it in gear and the gear wouldn't hold the car.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:26 AM

who parks on hills anyways. most people have a flat driveway/garage/street anyways so whats the problem? and when you go to driving school they always tell you to use the ebreak(EVEN IN AUTOMATICS). when you park putting it in gear is a personal preferance. if i'm on a incline thats big enough i will put it in gear as well but haven't had any problems. one time i've even forgotten to do either in my driveway and because it's flat and has gravel nothing happened.