Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How bad is it to put regular in our cars? (Story)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is it to put regular in our cars? (Story)

What up guys? So I'm coming back from the Miami game late at night and end up running out of gas on Alligator Alley (anyone from the are will tell you..not very good) but fortunately a road ranger pulled up and only had regular so he put probably 2-3 gallons in and when I found the nearest station I put 93 back in. I kept smelling a funky smell (gas) burning it seemed. Just wondering if it will damage anything down the road?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

just stay out of the boost for a little while until the lower octane is flushed out... I believe in the manual it says you can use regular (87) oct. for emergencies just don't get on it for a little bit...
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FinsNCanes
What up guys? So I'm coming back from the Miami game late at night and end up running out of gas on Alligator Alley (anyone from the are will tell you..not very good) but fortunately a road ranger pulled up and only had regular so he put probably 2-3 gallons in and when I found the nearest station I put 93 back in. I kept smelling a funky smell (gas) burning it seemed. Just wondering if it will damage anything down the road?
I'm no guru but worst case 87 octane will be more prone to knock if you get on the boost. unless you thrashed it or have a standalone that would bypass the high det map you should be totally fine.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinsNCanes
as long as you didnt get on the boost with the crappy gas, then your fine
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I've put 87 in by accident when I first got the car, got into boost and everything. Worst mistake ever but I haven't had any problems yet so far because of it. *knocks on wood*
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than dumping the tank and refueling... but yea I would just stay off boost.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kyoichi Sudou
I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than dumping the tank and refueling... but yea I would just stay off boost.
I agree. But as long as you didn't flog it with the crap-gas in there, no damage should have been done. If you absolutely can't empty it, go to http://www.racegas.com/gt100locals/default.asp and look for a nearby Sunoco station that sells GT100 and drop $80 on a tank full of that and you should be ok.

"Sunoco GTTM 100, which has the highest octane rating of any street legal fuel, is now available at selected retail locations. Sunoco GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits."
Old Dec 20, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a place real close that sells that fuel a little leary about dumping it in though plus I dont think they let you pump it into your car I think you have to put it in a can. Anyone use it at all not tuned
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I have a place real close that sells that fuel a little leary about dumping it in though plus I dont think they let you pump it into your car I think you have to put it in a can. Anyone use it at all not tuned
There is a station near me, in the 'hood in WPB. The pump is off to the side, lol it's actually pump 13 and there is no credit card slot, you have to go in and pay. I have filled up there probably 10 times in the 2 years I have owned my car, and have never had a single problem, other than the car running so good that I wish I could afford to run it all the time.

I only have light mods (cams, fmic, tbe, etc.) and a mail in Dynoflash, but I ran that gas before and after the flash without any problems.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
There is a station near me, in the 'hood in WPB. The pump is off to the side, lol it's actually pump 13 and there is no credit card slot, you have to go in and pay. I have filled up there probably 10 times in the 2 years I have owned my car, and have never had a single problem, other than the car running so good that I wish I could afford to run it all the time.

I only have light mods (cams, fmic, tbe, etc.) and a mail in Dynoflash, but I ran that gas before and after the flash without any problems.
I've been to that same pump
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

I just remembered, some of the pumps have stickers on them that say it is leaded fuel.

IT IS NOT LEADED FUEL

It's illegal to pump leaded fuel into a street car. You can only buy it in a container or at a real race track. The problem is that the poeple who work at these stations don't know a damn thing about racegas, or much else for that matter, otherwise they wouldn't work at a gas station.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Stay out of boost....and add octane booster which you can get at a local auto store like pep boys or Advanced Auto Parts.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mac_05evo
just stay out of the boost for a little while until the lower octane is flushed out... I believe in the manual it says you can use regular (87) oct. for emergencies just don't get on it for a little bit...
+1
Agreed!