Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mods to help from a roll?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods to help from a roll?

I was hoping to get some ideas for Mods that will help at a roll. the car is great from a dig, but would like somthing now to help once moving. I have an 05 EVO VIII, with Helix Intake, Helix Down Pipe, HKS TBE, HKS EVC, and a custom tune DYNOFLASH. Will Cams Help out at all, or am i stuck having to go to a larger turbo? Thx in advance for your thougts.

Last edited by newimportowner; Dec 22, 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only mod that will help is a GT42R. You can get the kit from AMS.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

cams will give you top end power, that would be my suggestion to you for your next mod.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Weight Reduction!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

get some really really light weight wheels. SSR comps and there is a set that neil@tirerack sells made by kosei that are sub 15 lb wheels, and half as expensive as the SSR's.

get some stoptech aero-rotors. they are really really light! (but only work on their big brake kits thus far)

get a mini battery

take the spare wheel out

take out the intercooler sprayer assembly

get a set of fixed back race buckets (about 15 pounds each)

get an O2 housing.. the stock one weights more then a brick.

i would imagine that aftermarket shocks and springs are considerably lighter then the stock stuff.

hopefully you are getting my point by now reducing weight is as effective as adding power, so warrtalon is wrong... you can make your car considerably faster without buying a bigger turbo.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

if you drive like the germans (1-2 gears lower than everybody else) you will have a greater chance from a roll as you will already be in the powerband. Cams & a build head will give you topend power all the way to 9K rpm if the right people help you out. for maximum thrust, look into either a Greddy T88 or the HKS T04Z. or if you're on a budget, get the Greddy 25G kit & call Trust to swap out the 8cm hotside for a 14cm...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't wrong. I figured my deep, DEEP-rooted sarcasm would shine through, especially after the sad face. This question is one of the most annoying there is and has been discussed far too many times to give a straight answer. It also is pretty dumb to be seeking out ways to go fast "from a roll." All the mods he has and ever will get will help "from a roll" just as much as they do from a dig.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

The 05 didn't come with the intercooler sprayer. But everything else sounds right. You might want to tighten up the chasis
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This question is one of the most annoying there is and has been discussed far too many times to give a straight answer.
and thats one of the most annoying answers there is
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
and thats one of the most annoying answers there is
Not as annoying as the thread itself. Save your great knowledge, information, and feedback for someone who deserves it. Don't respond in detail to stupid threads like this where the person is trying to figure out how to street race more effectively and refuses to search first.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I think the faster the spool on your turbo, the better you'll be from a roll...so 264/264 cams, 20G TME 6.5 turbo, ported exhaust manifold....

Last edited by Zemo; Dec 22, 2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't wrong. I figured my deep, DEEP-rooted sarcasm would shine through, especially after the sad face. This question is one of the most annoying there is and has been discussed far too many times to give a straight answer. It also is pretty dumb to be seeking out ways to go fast "from a roll." All the mods he has and ever will get will help "from a roll" just as much as they do from a dig.
I got the Sarcasm, i wish i could swing that Upgrade, but not quite yet. as far as the launch versus rolling, i have to say at the strip i can take quite a few cars, but it seems moving (on a closed circuit desin for racing) i have problems with older 5.0 mustangs for crying out loud, when i know i can get him off the line. didnt mean to annoy you.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Not as annoying as the thread itself. Save your great knowledge, information, and feedback for someone who deserves it. Don't respond in detail to stupid threads like this where the person is trying to figure out how to street race more effectively and refuses to search first.
Jeez who said ANYTHING about street racing, been all through this site, just thought i would ask.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newimportowner
Jeez who said ANYTHING about street racing, been all through this site, just thought i would ask.
You don't have to say it; it's implied. Road racing is the only place where "from a roll" sort of applies, but even then it's more about exit speed than top-end power. Spec Miatas and Lotuse Elises can teach us all that lesson.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

You don't have to say it; it's implied. Road racing is the only place where "from a roll" sort of applies, but even then it's more about exit speed than top-end power. Spec Miatas and Lotuse Elises can teach us all that lesson.
ah yes, very good point, those Mx-5 can carry speed very well.