Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd x a chrm...06 IX RS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd x a chrm...06 IX RS

I'm happy to say that I'm back in an Evo and plan to stay for a while...this is my third and the best yet in so many ways. I've previously had a RR '03 and a '04 WW RS in between a C32, Z06, 03 Cobra in the past couple of years. I've always been drawn back to this car and I can honestly say there is no other car I would rather have short of a true high dollar exotic like a 911 GT2 or any modern F-car etc.

The IX's have been talked about ad nauseum on here and I can say that it's not hype...this car truly has evolved. My WW RS was brought in by flatbed from GA, they swapped an MR for it. I picked it up with 5 miles on it and from the first drive the car feels different. The boost hits quick and hard...it feels like my previous evo's with an Xede and exhaust, to the extent I've gotten in it, only to about 5,000rpm so far and not full boost. It has just shy of 150 miles now. The car is pretty stout sounding, but reserved. The ride seems a little more tame than my last RS, it's pretty civil.

The gear box shifts like butter and the revised gear ratios are noticeable. A short shifter is not needed imho. It's clicking just shy of 4,000 grand at 80, which seems excessive at first but feels natural after a few minutes on I95. The car would happily cruise at 5500, but the state police would frown on that...

The interior is better in more than just the obvious ways, thw window crank has been repositioned or there has been some other change. My 04 RS had issues with the handle digging in my leg depending on how I had the window rolled. The black interior really is sweet and the exterior changes really are something in person. Pics don't do the car justice but I'll get some up anyway

As far as my plans for the car the only performance mods I think it needs are an Xede and a full catless exhaust. I plan on another ti catback, this time with a resonator . I'll also go with a lw battery and a carbon rear strut tower bar. Light & quick

*Disclaimer - this post is not meant to defame or deride '03-'05 Evo's...this post is merely an enthusiastic endorsement of the IX...any evo is a credit card away from 11's.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

glad to hear you like it! have fun ...and man are you lucky!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, let's see if this works...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/p...d=8SbNG7Vm4Yic
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, jason, just a few quick FYIs:

1) You hit full boost at ~3500rpm, so you've already done that

2) A short shifter doesn't change gear ratios. It just shortens the throw on your shift to aid with shifting speed/precision.

Glad you came back and got a IX; I'm jealous.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
sweet ride im hopefully getting my IX anytime now, just waiting on insurance still

So its really that bas ***?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Let me clarify...I should have said I haven't redlined it, you're right...and no way I could keep from tipping into boost

Regarding the shifting I meant that both the shift action & the revised ratios are noticeable...the shift action is smooth and the throws are short...no need for a short shifter and bushings unless you want really short throws. And the ratio changes are obvious and make it a real trip to run through the gears

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Hey, jason, just a few quick FYIs:

1) You hit full boost at ~3500rpm, so you've already done that

2) A short shifter doesn't change gear ratios. It just shortens the throw on your shift to aid with shifting speed/precision.

Glad you came back and got a IX; I'm jealous.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvO2005
sweet ride im hopefully getting my IX anytime now, just waiting on insurance still

So its really that bas ***?
Yes
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what the 6spd feels like now...at least through the first 4 gears.

Don't hesitate to romp it at full boost as often as possible as long as you don't rev too high.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You know what the 6spd feels like now...at least through the first 4 gears.

Don't hesitate to romp it at full boost as often as possible as long as you don't rev too high.

Exactly, I test drove an '06 MR because the RS' are scarce right now and it felt the same (minus the gear), which is the same as the '05 MR I think. I was also suprised that the '06 RS doesn't ride harshly at all compared to the MR.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
Exactly, I test drove an '06 MR because the RS' are scarce right now and it felt the same (minus the gear), which is the same as the '05 MR I think. I was also suprised that the '06 RS doesn't ride harshly at all compared to the MR.
just curious what did u wind up paying for it?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

good choice
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

$28+ttl...there's nothing that compares imho.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome home jasonc32amg.

I don't think there's any better bang for the buck than an Evo RS. Sounds like the IX has reaffirmed that while, at the same time, improving upon it. Very exciting review. Although I have to say doing 4k RPM's at 80mph seems high. Especially on the RS because there's no sound deadening. You hear it all - especially at high RPM. I don't know about FL, but everybody in CA does 80mph+ on the freeway too. Is the difference is gearing enough to make somebody change how they drive on the freeway?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Welcome home jasonc32amg.

I don't think there's any better bang for the buck than an Evo RS. Sounds like the IX has reaffirmed that while, at the same time, improving upon it. Very exciting review. Although I have to say doing 4k RPM's at 80mph seems high. Especially on the RS because there's no sound deadening. You hear it all - especially at high RPM. I don't know about FL, but everybody in CA does 80mph+ on the freeway too. Is the difference is gearing enough to make somebody change how they drive on the freeway?

It's the same down here...you get passed if you're doing 80, compared to my 04 rs, the 06 is much smoother. The car easily cruises at 100+ if you're interested in road side chats with troopers I think many people would be better off in an MR with a 6-speed, but I prefer the RS' stealth
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

not sure why but white cars are freaking attractive. the evo is a bad boy inside and a preppie on the outside.