Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

312awhp/tq @21psi on MD at Mynes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dropspeed
Lat time I checked we couldn't race dynos..................take the car to the track and see what it runs!

Warrtalon:

You mentioned that the changing the weight will make the reading differ. After my car was dynoed with a weight of 3250 in the dyno and the lower hp at 50 I spent some time investigating this claim. I spoke with both Mustang Dyno and the dyno facility that dynoed the car.
Now first let me say that we all agree the the numbers that where put into the dyno where not correct according to SAE specs. But what does that change?

The weight and hp @ 50 change the resistance on the dyno (load). This will change the time it takes to make a pull, (sweep) at higher RPM, the higher numbers will load the dyno more. The less weigh the shorter the sweep (for the example we will say 8 seconds) with more load it could take 10 or more seconds. Typically when there is more load on a vehicle it will make more power on the dyno. So a shorter "sweep" would equal less power.

I did not rerun my vehicle but the facility did a couple of "tests" for me on another vehicle. They ran the same car through 3 different time sweeps 8 seconds, 10 seconds and 15 seconds to simulate a lower weight, SAE weight and heavier weight on the car to increase loads

The results:
8 seconds = 375 whp
10 seconds = 383 whp
15 seconds = 390 whp

Now this was on a 2005 GTO so it is not an EVO, but experiance says the results would be similar.

So from my "investigation" my car "should" make more power on the dyno if the weight and hp @ 50 were increased........................but I don't care enough to run it again to find out. It runs a 112.97 trap which is proof enough for me it makes decent power.

NOW back to the thread topic. A DYNO, LIKE ANY PRECISION MEASURING INSTRUMENT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS USER. You CANNOT compare two dynos in two different buildings let alone two different states. It doesn't matter if MUSTANG DYNO calibrated it or not. It is still up to the facility to enter the correct numbers, weather data....ECT. NOT to mention that the way a facility straps the car down can have an impact on the results. (They SHOULD NOT load the suspension in any way. Common mistake)

Now with that said I believe that the MUSTANG DYNO is the most accurate (Best) on the market today for correct, repeatable numbers. the only reason that the Dynojet is considered the "Industry standard" is because people in the so-called "Industry" want to buy a dyno and the the Mustang is 2 or 3 times more expensive that the Dynojet.

(PS I Have worked with three different MUSTANG DYNOS and purchased one for a facility I was at a few years back so I have seen the calibration process ECT. ECT first hand it is not an exact process..............But I am always learning)

PS Nice Numbers.................Now take it to a track and back them up.

Matt J.
Very good post
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Btw, I didn't say vehicle weight, I said roll weight. This has a HUGE impact on the results and is the main thing that is changed to help produce higher numbers that are more like a Dynojet.

Of course, I always say "take it to the track," but that's not feasible this time of year.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Haha wow i was just saying it reads very low for a MD, which reminded me of Buschur. I guess i lead on to believe i was saying it was the exact same as his, and i guess sorry for that part.
Iam just saying that other people have dynod on other Mustang Dynos around here, and got 345whp, then went over to Mynes and dynod 303..
Even a DynamicsDyno dynos a little higher then theirs does. I was just stating that, and yes like all, i know, gotta take it to track and see what it really runs. Out of curiousty, with avg. driver, and these #s, what should i be running?
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Off topic:

How would (tipically) a Dyno Dynamics Dyno stack up against or with a Mustang Dyno?
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

We can't tell you, because we don't know what numbers on that dyno translate to in terms of trap speed. If 260whp=107mph (djhouse), then you should be good for 112mph or so. 112mph can hit anywhere from 12.1-12.6 depending on driving ability.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Btw, I didn't say vehicle weight, I said roll weight. This has a HUGE impact on the results and is the main thing that is changed to help produce higher numbers that are more like a Dynojet.

Of course, I always say "take it to the track," but that's not feasible this time of year.
What the heck are you talking about? It's almost 85 degrees outside right now!

That's one thing I do like about Phoenix. No snow, just old snow birds.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayhawker
What the heck are you talking about? It's almost 85 degrees outside right now!

That's one thing I do like about Phoenix. No snow, just old snow birds.
Then there's no excuse to not get this thing to the track for some verification trap speeds. 85 on dec 24? Wow.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ya today isnt fun to be outside in.. I walked out to my car after xmas shopping today, and was just like wtf? Its so hot out..