Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does driving the EVO ever get annoying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does driving the EVO ever get annoying?

EVO owners, does it get on your nerves that it seems like so many other cars want to try and test your car out with their cars? I mean I never really noticed that it may become a problem when I eventually own an EVO until this past weekend when sorry *** jon22 came on boasting about how he beat an EVO with his sorry *** Spirit R/T and believe me people the guy was lying about his mods, I mean the more questions I asked him the more he started to lie. Like for instance he claims to be on stock downpipe, then on the other hand says he has a full TBE. It's hard to argue with a guy that is so obviously lying about everything. Then on monday I go for ride in my neighbors EVO to go pick up some more alcohol (little neighborhood BBQ) and dude I sh*t you not he was like challenged to a race three times on a 5 minute drive to the store. I ask him how often people want to race him, and he is like all the time dude. Anyways it's cool, I figure when I get my 2003 EVO, I plan to quickly do a lot of upgrades such as TBE, Cams, and Flash, so I should be up for the challenges. Maybe it's just a Cali thing, but when I had my VR4 I really didn't get challenged much. But then again, cars like the 350Z, SRT-4, RX-8, RSX Type S, WRX STi, and etc. weren't in production.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is annoying on long trips to me, so I just never drive it on long trips. As far as daily driving, it is never annoying to me. It's sheer bliss...
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I never really get challenged. Most people in the midwest don't even know what an EVO is.
Evolving Member

it never gets boring.....i have drivin to NC from MD and up to atlantic city and have never been bored with it. I drive an hr to work everyday, i love it more and more. i still catch myself looking out the window and just thinkin damn i finally have one
Evolved Member

Ditto on long trips.. some of the noises my clutch makes at times is annoying... well worth it tho
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

My bad, maybe I didn't make my self clear, I know about the noises and stuff, I'm talking about the amount of people that seem to always want to race your cars. I mean to me that can get annoying, and I'm telling you a lot of times I see the EVO on the road, it seems like it's always in the midst of a race. Does that ever get annoying or do you, just brush it off as EVO envy?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bechbum82
it never gets boring.....i have drivin to NC from MD and up to atlantic city and have never been bored with it. I drive an hr to work everyday, i love it more and more. i still catch myself looking out the window and just thinkin damn i finally have one
LOL...I do the same thing...I still cant believe I have one.
Is it perfect? No...everyone has little things that annoy them about the Evo but (for me) even if you combined all the negatives, it is still NOWHERE near a "change of heart" level. I used to be into German cars (BMW mostly) but I have no patience for people that like to show off their money...and BMW's are a dime a dozen, everybody has one around here.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no one ever eggs me on when I'm driving
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

This car will never got boring.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
My bad, maybe I didn't make my self clear, I know about the noises and stuff, I'm talking about the amount of people that seem to always want to race your cars. I mean to me that can get annoying, and I'm telling you a lot of times I see the EVO on the road, it seems like it's always in the midst of a race. Does that ever get annoying or do you, just brush it off as EVO envy?
Well, I would def. say that it IS Evo envy but at the same time, if you bought an Evo to "race" people on the street, you picked the wrong car. I personally think it's a "crime" to race the Evo (which is one of the best all-around cars available and one of two or three in the price-range) with some 19-year old kid that has a chip on his/her shoulder and wants to "prove" that their 100-shot X-brand car is faster. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you...if these people want to race, let them race themselves. Most of the people that want to race you or your friend, wouldnt last a single lap at the track.
I purchased the Evo for me, not for anyone else and not to prove anything to anyone...although, I DO have to admit that it feels nice when people in Porsche's and M3's glare at the Evo in fear...hehehe.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Oh, no, I rarely get challenged. Maybe 4 times in 14 months. I remember each of them:

- SRT-4
- WRX w/Cobb stg 2 or something
- 2.5 RS w/GC8 conversion or something
- mid-90s Cobra (4.6L) with long tube headers and such
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yorgis_MR
Well, I would def. say that it IS Evo envy but at the same time, if you bought an Evo to "race" people on the street, you picked the wrong car. I personally think it's a "crime" to race the Evo (which is one of the best all-around cars available and one of two or three in the price-range) with some 19-year old kid that has a chip on his/her shoulder and wants to "prove" that their 100-shot X-brand car is faster. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you...if these people want to race, let them race themselves. Most of the people that want to race you or your friend, wouldnt last a single lap at the track.
I purchased the Evo for me, not for anyone else and not to prove anything to anyone...although, I DO have to admit that it feels nice when people in Porsche's and M3's glare at the Evo in fear...hehehe.
Yeah I agree with you, and the biggest reason why I want to buy an EVO is not for street racing, that's why it would become annoying to me, if everyday it seems like I have people egging me on to race. Still I could blowing this out of proportion.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably a Cali thing, that's why I find it very unfortunate that there is such a lack of drag strips, road courses, and etc. here when you have so many people racing eachother on the street here. Just a week ago, I almost side swiped an S2000, because he was racing a Chrysler 300C and it seemed like the S2000 came out of nowhere. Sh*t that was really close, and I was going like 80mph on the freeway.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all the time!!! it seems like haters have a goal to beat an evo and brag about it. Even some of my friends are starting to annoy me. They always talk about what can beat my car etc....In a way it makes me feel good knowing most of the ppl that want to race me know how good of a car an evo is.

Last edited by evo_rc; Dec 27, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It only gets a little annoying getting stuck in stop and go traffic but that's how I always feel about driving a stick in traffic.

I only got challenged once and it was by this lady in a CLK 430 and I didn't even realize it was happening. I wonder if people around here respect the Evo or don't know much about it.