Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So is the 6th gear or the IX even worth it???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Wow thanks guys. Warrtalon: So with the IX, the only big asset is the turbo? Would the MIVEC be very valuable for me in the future knowing that I will be swapping out the turbo? Thanks!
Well, there-in lies the problem. Right now, with the stock turbo, it is CONJECTURED that the MIVEC is only playing a small role. We DO know that despite having a larger turbo, the IX is spooling even earlier than the VIIIs, so we attribute that to the MIVEC, but how much of a difference would MIVEC make on a larger turbo while still on the stock 2.0 block? There's a possibility that the MIVEC could make something like the GT35r spool way earlier than on the VIIIs, but we don't know yet.

What we do know is that larger turbos have made proven power on the VIIIs, whether on the stock block or a stroker, so you can't go wrong there. That's something you will have to decide upon with limited information if you plan on buying soon.

Btw, nice sig.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info...Hahah thanks. IT was an inspiring true comment. What would you recommend for the highest whp safely on the stock lower end with meth (stock motor except for cams, cam gears, and head studs)? That has been one of my concerns. I know it is more than an STi, and that has been a major decision on coming to the EVO world...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Good info...Hahah thanks. IT was an inspiring true comment. What would you recommend for the highest whp safely on the stock lower end with meth (stock motor except for cams, cam gears, and head studs)? That has been one of my concerns. I know it is more than an STi, and that has been a major decision on coming to the EVO world...
With your stock turbo, you can probably get up to 400whp once the major vendors figure out cams. You can already do 380+ on the 05s with cams/meth on the stock turbo and regular bolt-ons, so 400whp should be cake on the IX turbo, since it's regularly 30-40whp higher than VIIIs with the same mods. As I said, though, the question is in the cams (or cam). Dynoflash Al will be testing a single exhaust cam on a stroker with the stock IX turbo here this week. It won't be the same as a single exhaust cam on the stock motor, but it's a start. Be on the lookout...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

How about with a replaced large turbo? What would the maximum whp be that can be run on the stock motor safely with just the cams, cam gears, and head studs replaced?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

How about with a replaced large turbo? What would the maximum whp be that can be run on the stock motor safely with just the cams, cam gears, and head studs replaced?
Don't know. The IX is too new.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

How about with the VIII? AMS said 500 whp SAFELY. That seems a tad high...Is that true? Whats the safest?

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Dec 28, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to follow this thread for information regarding your question...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173500
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

How about with the VIII? AMS said 500 whp SAFELY. Is that true? Whats the safest?
I don't know, man. You're being a little too picky here. Trust what AMS says over any advice you ever hear from me. They are the ones with an Evo running 9.41 and a customer car putting down 800whp. I don't know how easily you can put down 500whp safely on the stock internals, and I don't know what's safest. Are you trying to win an argument with someone, or are you seriously trying to figure out the most power you can make without touching the engine before starting your build-up? I think I would worry less about whatever this magical max HP number is and worry more about the combo I plan on using...gt35r/280s/meth? At that power level, I think you may find that avoiding the upgrade of engine internals may be replaced by replacing major drivetrain items, so keep that in mind.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

How about the EVO VIII though...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks...Just curious thats all...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

@ 80mph r only like 200-300 lower in the MR, but the RS will eat it in a drag race. im sure the IX RS is even faster than that. also the rs comes w/ factory short shifter. well owning an rs and driving my friends mr i do like mine better (gearbox wise). imo no. buy the 06 IX factory war. and you get to brake it in so you know its done the right way.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

The 6 speed box in the 8 MR and 9 is starting to show failures in this part of the country now... most of them has swapped to the 5 speed now...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

How about with the VIII? AMS said 500 whp SAFELY. That seems a tad high...Is that true? Whats the safest?
I had 450-494 whp w/o any problems, unless u consider that turn I took too hot a problem. Over 10 miles before I rolled he Biiittttccch. Beat the shhhiiittt out of the car with over 120 launches (100 at 340 whp and 20+ 450-494 whp). Car ran great until I aped it up on dead mans curve.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

with all this talk about the mivec in the evo 9, makes me wonna trade my VIII RS for a IX RS, but i already did 3 car trades this year hah (two 350z's and now my evo) ill just stay with my VIII rs
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

get the 9 rs if power is what you want