Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So is the 6th gear or the IX even worth it???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was informative though...Interesting how the RS put down the most power on the dyno...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOled_
It was informative though...Interesting how the RS put down the most power on the dyno...

Very informative and I enjoyed the article...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

RS = Impressive!
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a good look at the concept EVO 10. If you think you will want that car then don't buy a new evo now.

If you plan on going with a bigger turbo then you also plan on more aggressive cams. At this point you have eliminated the benefits to the EVO9. I would find a slightly used 2005 MR and buy it for around 27500. There is one forsale in the midwest section right now.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=163170

These cars do get driven aggressively but they are made for it. Almost ever EVO owner is an enthusiast and will have changed fluids and all that jazz especially if they had free maintenance!

However....If I didn't own an EVO already......I would find a dealer ship to sell me an EVO9 MR at invoice. That should be fairly easy to do especially at the end of the year and off season for sports cars. Stock turbo stock cams and you can make it run 11s which is plenty fast for the average car guy. After that you start breaking stuff and it gets to expensive to enjoy.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Take a good look at the concept EVO 10. If you think you will want that car then don't buy a new evo now.

If you plan on going with a bigger turbo then you also plan on more aggressive cams. At this point you have eliminated the benefits to the EVO9. I would find a slightly used 2005 MR and buy it for around 27500. There is one forsale in the midwest section right now.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=163170

These cars do get driven aggressively but they are made for it. Almost ever EVO owner is an enthusiast and will have changed fluids and all that jazz especially if they had free maintenance!

However....If I didn't own an EVO already......I would find a dealer ship to sell me an EVO9 MR at invoice. That should be fairly easy to do especially at the end of the year and off season for sports cars. Stock turbo stock cams and you can make it run 11s which is plenty fast for the average car guy. After that you start breaking stuff and it gets to expensive to enjoy.
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the MIVEC a huge bonus too. I wont jump the gun and say im getting a huge turbo yet. If the IX turbo can put down 400whp, who knows. Maybe Ill save myself $3000. I never heard anything about the IX's cams being so much better than the VIIIs. Just lighter... I still dont know about the MR/RS or IX RS. Liking the IX RS though...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the MIVEC a huge bonus too. I wont jump the gun and say im getting a huge turbo yet. If the IX turbo can put down 400whp, who knows. Maybe Ill save myself $3000. I never heard anything about the IX's cams being so much better than the VIIIs. Just lighter... I still dont know about the MR/RS or IX RS. Liking the IX RS though...

Search the Dynoflash and Visnu threads and you'll get some more perspective on what IX's can do...as far as the MR/RS debate I think if you drive them both and compare the aesthetics one will win you over depending on your personal preferences...you can't go wrong either way.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MIVEC isn't all that great....The 05 vs 06 dynos are nearly the same and that is with an upgraded turbo. If you plan on upgrading the turbo and cams then save yourself some money and get a slightly used 2005. Keep in mind as soon as you do the turbo, cams, and clutch you've basically given up the main part of your 10yr/100,00mile warranty.

If you dont plan on giving your brand new ride an abortion then get an 06. With only a flash and turbo back exhaust you could be darn near in the 11s. If you ever needed warranty work 30 minutes later it could appear to be completely stock.

I have a 2003 which is probably the most looked down on year of all. But if you are smart you may want to look at grabbing an 03. I haven't had any problems at all and I beat the **** out of this car. All 2003's have HID's and you can get a moon roof without getting that crappy leather. Not only that but many people are selling perfectly running 03 with thousands of $$$ worth of mods already done to them. The only thing that bites is the lack of the FLSD. Which to 99.9% of the people in EVOs doesn't mean jack. In a straight line I lite up all four tires and how much road racing do most EVO's really see? Besides you can get a TRE LSD for a grand.

Just a thought,
JJ
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

MIVEC isn't all that great....The 05 vs 06 dynos are nearly the same and that is with an upgraded turbo. If you plan on upgrading the turbo and cams then save yourself some money and get a slightly used 2005. Keep in mind as soon as you do the turbo, cams, and clutch you've basically given up the main part of your 10yr/100,00mile warranty.

If you dont plan on giving your brand new ride an abortion then get an 06. With only a flash and turbo back exhaust you could be darn near in the 11s. If you ever needed warranty work 30 minutes later it could appear to be completely stock.

I have a 2003 which is probably the most looked down on year of all. But if you are smart you may want to look at grabbing an 03. I haven't had any problems at all and I beat the **** out of this car. All 2003's have HID's and you can get a moon roof without getting that crappy leather. Not only that but many people are selling perfectly running 03 with thousands of $$$ worth of mods already done to them. The only thing that bites is the lack of the FLSD. Which to 99.9% of the people in EVOs doesn't mean jack. In a straight line I lite up all four tires and how much road racing do most EVO's really see? Besides you can get a TRE LSD for a grand.

Just a thought,
JJ
I think you're missing the point of MIVEC, earlier spool, low speed torque, etc. Otherwise I think you are on the money as far as the '03 being a great deal used...but don't sell the 06's short
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you can reach 400whp reliably with the EVO9 and its turbo, I think I may be sold...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
400WHP is probably a bit much even on race gas. 350WHP should be more than enough considering you dont even have to work hard to get that out of the car.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet and i have one....
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

JJ
Wow really? I wonder how they got this type of result with just tuning theMIVEC.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173290
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Omg!!
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Mivec kicks a$$. Coupled with the IX turbo and after a tune the boost comes in so much sooner vs. the VIII its silly. Running side by side my brothers VIII the IX reaches boost a lot earlier and that translates into distance between the cars

I question the peak HP increases claimed by 'tuning' it but then again I have no thorough understanding of it either. I just dont see how it can generate that much HP as outlined above.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

MIVEC also makes you thinner, taller, and more popular