Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

4G63 vs SR20DET Redtop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the ecotech 2.0 is nothing like the race version that makes 1000hp. the ecotechs have severe relabilty problems around 350whp.

I wouuldn't say the ecotec is too bad, check out this article: http://www.year2032.com/ecotec.htm 750hp @ 24psi
The super-modified Ecotec was able to achieve a reliable 750 hp on 24 psi of boost at 9000 rpm with 10:1 compression
It's amazing that any components whatsoever designed for a stock 140 hp 2.2-liter Ecotec would survive on an extreme power plant making more than six times its power. However the stock Ecotec block and main/girdle structure did survive to 750 hp, as did the stock sleeves. The stock main bearings survived. The stock stamped roller finger-followers were effective to at least 9700 rpm, as were the hydraulic lifters. The oil passages remained stock to 800 hp. The stock chains, guides, tensioners and water pump worked all the way to heaven. The stock head survived with minor strengthening and massive breathing modifications. Many other components were good for two to four times stock power (see chart). GM Powertrain engineers designed a base engine with many stock components that were above and beyond what was needed for stock performance. "The crank support structure of the Ecotec is unbelievably strong," says Bothwell. "We detected no core shifting under the most extreme conditions."
Not bad for 24psi on such a relatively new motor.

Last edited by E. Haskell; Dec 29, 2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock oil passages? stock chain? stock guides? Who lists this crap? If you look at the chart, thing start getting expensive QUICK for the ecotec.

I think the whole argument here is how reliable, how much power, and how much money does it take to match up these motors? Given a fixed budget to modify the motors, the 4g63 comes out on top.

...but the EVO also starts at a much higher price point when you look at the cars.

...then again it's all carrots to apples.

SR20 not legal in the US for 240 (rwd) cheap car to buy, have to swap motor

Ecotec, low hp starting point, (fwd) good price point,

EVO, good starting point for hp, (awd) more expensive car,

etc. etc. etc.

all depends on your budget and what you want to do
Old Dec 29, 2005, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
stock oil passages? stock chain? stock guides? Who lists this crap? If you look at the chart, thing start getting expensive QUICK for the ecotec.

I think the whole argument here is how reliable, how much power, and how much money does it take to match up these motors? Given a fixed budget to modify the motors, the 4g63 comes out on top.

...but the EVO also starts at a much higher price point when you look at the cars.

...then again it's all carrots to apples.

SR20 not legal in the US for 240 (rwd) cheap car to buy, have to swap motor

Ecotec, low hp starting point, (fwd) good price point,

EVO, good starting point for hp, (awd) more expensive car,

etc. etc. etc.

all depends on your budget and what you want to do
Yes, the 4g63 does come out on top, but you've got to consider how much longer the aftermarket has had to work with it. How long has the ecotec been here in America? Also, the motor mentioned above was the 140hp variation.....basically an econbox motor.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
94awd coupe that is a very narrow minded statement. In the end it all boils down to how much money you have. In 1000whp applications the only part that is left stock in the head or the block is the casting itself, so you're crappy valvetrain statement and 350whp reliability statements don't jive.

If you mean stock assemblies that's different other than that it's all physics.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
94awd coupe that is a very narrow minded statement. In the end it all boils down to how much money you have. In 1000whp applications the only part that is left stock in the head or the block is the casting itself, so you're crappy valvetrain statement and 350whp reliability statements don't jive.

If you mean stock assemblies that's different other than that it's all physics.
I really wanted to race scotts car. It just broke every weekend out. Sorry its the truth. Reliabilty problems are often not posted on the net for reputation reasons. Again sorry the valvetrain sucks on sr20s . Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. For comparisons sake nothing in the 4g63 head needs to be changed for 1000hp applications. except spring tension. the sr20 has to rebuy the whole setup and switch to solids. Its a poor design, get over it.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Dec 29, 2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

4g63's reliable! :-/ can't spell DiSapointMent without DSM

I love SR20's granted they may not be the strong longlastin motors, there damn cheap, damn fun, and like someone else said any motor can make 1000hp, all depends on ur budget, car ur puttin it in, and what you wanna do with it, crate for crate i think its dead even
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I really wanted to race scotts car. It just broke every weekend out. Sorry its the truth. Reliabilty problems are often not posted on the net for reputation reasons. Again sorry the valvetrain sucks on sr20s . Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. For comparisons sake nothing in the 4g63 head needs to be changed for 1000hp applications. except spring tension. the sr20 has to rebuy the whole setup and switch to solids. Its a poor design, get over it.

Again, with money being no object the maximum HP will be the same any of the previously mentioned engines. I agree that the 4g63 is the easiest platform to hit the big numbers with, but any of the other engines can hit it too even if it costs more.

I have a neighbor....ricer IMO....but he has a built SR20 swapped into a 240sx with a HKS 3037 kit, built head, and 3" TBE, it dynoed at 366whp@19psi!!

I think that sucks, but it doesn't mean that the power can't be made.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Can somebody explain why the evo is kinda overshadow in japan compare to the old brutes like the supra, silvia or skyline? Why are people still tunning these cars more than the evo?
I can't explain it, but I think you have things out of order.
Skyline, then I think Evo and Sylvia are tied, with a pretty big gap then the Supra. skyline is just the grandaddy of them all. Every tuner shop has to build one to get some street cred. If you want in shot at a drift scene, you build a Sylvia. Time attack is all about the Evos. I hardly ever see a tuned JDM Supra anymore.

American tuners are more about drag racing and we had the DSM so there are plenty of big hp 4G63's, and not many SR20's, but I seriously think even the Japanese SR20's don't put out as much power reliably as long as the American 4G63s. I think SCC rated the 4G63 higher.

Today we've got 1000hp 4gs, Ecos, sRts, SRs, etc,. Once you get down to the bare block and crank, fill it up with forged internals, plus with all the advancements in engine management, turbos, injectors it really isn't all that impressive anymore (to me). Especially if it is the product of some unlimited budget program backed by GM or Mopar. Pretty much all manfacturers make a strong enough block and crank to handle 700whp+. I am more impressed when someone can do it at home ordering parts off the internet and have an easy 350-450whp off ~2.0L's.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as I-4 engines they have the stongest bottom ends I've seen. Both can hold over 500 whp. They can be called the 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT of 4 cylinder engines. A redtop with bolt-ons and 12 psi on the T-25 can run low 13s all day with some lucky 12s on drag radials and/or LSD.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:30 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

I had a SR20DET powered 240SX before the Evo. I went through 3 SR motors due to some bad tuning and the stock ECU's inability to run on CA 91 octane. The bottom end is pretty indestructable... each time it blew it was a valve that went.

My 240SX with a TBE had no problem going head to head with an stock Evo from a rolling start.

First of all, you don't want a Redtop SR20DET. The redtops were the earlier generation S13 SR20DET from 91-93.

In order
- 91-93 S13 Redtop SR20DET
- 94-98 S13 Blacktop SR20DET
- 95-98 S14 Blacktop SR20DET Variable Valve Timing head, T28 turbo, larger injectors
- 99-02 S15 Blacktop SR20DET Variable Valve Timing head, T28 dual ball bearing iconel wheel turbo, larger injectors, 6 speed close ratio manual

Stock engines
S13 SR20DET Horsepower: 205hp at 6000rpm Torque: 203 ft/lbs at 4000rpm
S14 SR20DET Horsepower: 220hp at 6000rpm Torque: 203 ft/lbs at 4800rpm
S15 SR20DET Horsepower: 250bhp at 6400rpm 202 lb/ft at 4800rpm
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the stock 4g63 has seen overrevs to 10k without hurting things. valvetrain failure is extremely rare.
Yeah, until that ****ty *** timing belt breaks.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats why I like the timing chains on the Sr20Det. High revs in a SR causes valves to float, but there is an easy fix for it.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

The valve train issue is a very true thing, The HLCA system is a very tricky thing and can be sketchy, I've had no problems with a full hks setup in my head, it is funny because SR cams are cheaper then 4G63 cams but I have no idea why. I have heard of problems with the HLCA though and knock on wood I hope to not have any either Enthalpy can explain why he had problems with his, but I've never heard of his or why.
I'm going to tell you a something about a Redtop S13 motor, number one it is the least expensive of the years and it along with the kouki 180SX blacktop S13 SR are just as good due to the head design being better and more responsive to additional air flow. the later S14 and S15 models with VTC have a diferent head design called the low port and the S13 has the high port. In the end they are not much different with the VTC and larger turbos making up for difference in head design, when modded they end up in about the same spot in hp.
I can send you some pictures I guess. I would need an email or somethign I guess
-James
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:53 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2literturbos
The valve train issue is a very true thing, The HLCA system is a very tricky thing and can be sketchy, I've had no problems with a full hks setup in my head, it is funny because SR cams are cheaper then 4G63 cams but I have no idea why. I have heard of problems with the HLCA though and knock on wood I hope to not have any either Enthalpy can explain why he had problems with his, but I've never heard of his or why.
I'm going to tell you a something about a Redtop S13 motor, number one it is the least expensive of the years and it along with the kouki 180SX blacktop S13 SR are just as good due to the head design being better and more responsive to additional air flow. the later S14 and S15 models with VTC have a diferent head design called the low port and the S13 has the high port. In the end they are not much different with the VTC and larger turbos making up for difference in head design, when modded they end up in about the same spot in hp.
I can send you some pictures I guess. I would need an email or somethign I guess
-James
I like the newer motors as they tend to have less mileage. Although engine condition varies from one to the other - these are used motors after all.

I had a S13 blacktop that blew, completely rebuilt that motor, dyno tuned and blew again. The car kept running hot on cylinder 3 and broke the exhaust valve and melted the iridium plugs from heat. Then I swapped in a fresh stock redtop motor which worked fine and was in the car when I sold it.

Since all the money wasted tuning, blowing motors , not to mention labor costs paying to swap and rebuild motors I have a general mistrust of "professional" tuners. STOCK = RELIABLE.

Last edited by ZK; Dec 29, 2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

yea the hardest part with the whole sr20 into a 240 issue is finding a good motor. What i meant was power on the stock motor, not including the turbos that they start out with which really isnt fair with the evo's 16G.

Quick Reply: 4G63 vs SR20DET Redtop