Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crashed the Evo 2nite... :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you are ok... hope u came out of the crash a wiser driver.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DevilsEVO666 quote

"You guys think that ur payin too much...haha...im 20..bout to turn 21..I live in Mass...and I got 2 speeding tickets on my record..no accidents...I got 2 court dates this month for 2 violations...speeeding and red light...BUT im still at 15 points just like i started with when i got my license and im paying $4,500 a year....Which how dont know how it translates to $532 a month..I believe its on a 10 month payment policy I'll have to look at my papers again...I dont know this states suck ...I dont know why this state is soo shi**y bout their insurance...Well its most likely due to massachusetts no fault insurance...THe good drivers pay more so stupid *** drivers who keep crashing pay less...this state has the worst and most aggresive drivers in the country...O well....And I cant really changed to anythin else cuz its all regulated by the government...And theres an EXTREMELY small amount of insurance companies who offer insurance in this state....But legistators r tryin to change the insurance rate cuz its really rippin everyone off over here.... o well..just gives u an idea of what ppl r payin over here.. and thats one of the main reasons for me to sell my evo....04 with 31kmiles.. mostly highway driven and its BONE STOCK......I want to get the new evo 9 but cant settle if gettin the mr is worth jus for the 6 speed....Cuz i like havin a sunroof and soundsystem....ok im done blabbin "

It looks like you'll get some of that money you've been shelling out for insurance.
Hope everything turns out all right and car is repaired good as new.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:49 AM

rarely see any bikes up there...none cruised by that night...

Originally Posted by Stangar
Glad you are okay. Praise God you didn't hurt anyone. Lots of MOTORCYCLISTS on the PUBLIC streets to be aware of. Think about it.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:05 AM

Banned for 2 weeks.

Last edited by timzcat; Dec 30, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

The basic principle of a spin while turning is the same for all drive types. If you lift throttle too much, or even brake, while you are turning at the limit of adhesion, you shift weight to the front tires, remove weight (and traction) from the rear tires, and the rear starts to go around. The effect of lifting throttle is more severe with FWD or AWD, because the engine braking happens all or mostly to the front wheels and that increases the weight transfer over what you get by lifting throttle in an RWD car. (Think about it: you can theoretically lift the rear wheels completely off the ground by braking hard enough with the front wheels, but you can't do this by braking only with the rear wheels.)

Now, as for correcting when this happens, you need to immediately return to at least neutral throttle, if not accelerate to recover from trailing throttle oversteer. I've heard it said repeatedly that AWD are the only vehicles where you should accelerate out of a spin, but this works for RWD too, up to a point (that is, up to the point where you spin the rear wheels due to too much torque). It works because the acceleration puts extra weight back on the rear wheels. And I think it should work for FWD as well, although I've never done spin recovery myself in FWD.

What *does* seem to be true only of FWD and AWD, is that if you stay off the throttle when the tail comes out, the car rotates more quickly and violently, especially when the tail wags back in the other direction because you didn't straighten the wheel soon enough. I learned this the hard way in my first month of Evo ownership (broken wheel, rear axle and ABS sensor = $2500).

As for accelerating through a turn to get traction, that only works if the car is oversteering, not if it's understeering or in a four wheel slide. For understeer, you have to straighten the wheel or lift throttle or both. And the Evo, like any street car, will understeer badly when pushed too hard on entry or even steady state cornering in a very tight turn.

Originally Posted by Ronin17
I disagree, driving an AWD vehicle is a lot different than FWD or RWD. You accelerate through the turn to get more traction, which for some people is a foreign concept. In most cases when a person starts loosing traction, giving the car more gas is the last thing on their mind.

I agree.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, but I'm just ****ing glad ur walking away from this!!

Best of Luck,

Syed Ahmed
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

wow...this thread is getting crazy....
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw this. Man, i'm sorry to hear that you crashed your car. I'm glad to hear you walked away unhurt but a little wiser. Sometimes experience is a real b*tch
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is pointless.
Closed.

Next time report it immediately instead of arguing with the guy.
To the thread starter, tell your friend he is gone for two weeks and when he comes back he needs to read the rules since he broke at least 3 of them multiple times in this thread alone. Preferably he doesn't bother coming back at all since it seems he only did so to post in this thread.