Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crashed the evo =/

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:15 AM
sk8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed the evo =/

I was driving behind a semi coming up to the toll station. The semi swerved behind from the left lane to the right and soon as he did, there was a bright orange construction barrel in the middle of the lane.

Cars to my right, concrete wall to my left, so I nailed it going about 50 mph. Punted it forward and ended up punting it off the road. The IC got rocked and my bumper is now .

Has anyone ever had the state pay them for this ****? I filed my claim with the Illinois Tollway department but don't expect anything to come of it.

If you have a stock IC and/or that lower grill for sale, please pm me.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

I actually lol'd at the usage of the word punted. great mental picture. Sorry about your crash, and I hope the state is liable for their equipment making the lane hazardous.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I think they will say in the driving manual
"always keep distance and prepare to stop when sight is blocked or not clear"
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sk8
I was driving behind a semi coming up to the toll station. The semi swerved behind from the left lane to the right and soon as he did, there was a bright orange construction barrel in the middle of the lane.

Cars to my right, concrete wall to my left, so I nailed it going about 50 mph. Punted it forward and ended up punting it off the road. The IC got rocked and my bumper is now .

Has anyone ever had the state pay them for this ****? I filed my claim with the Illinois Tollway department but don't expect anything to come of it.

If you have a stock IC and/or that lower grill for sale, please pm me.

Thanks.
Actually a friend of mine had soemthing like this happen to his M3 and Fla state paid . Good luck with your car.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch that sucks. Good luck with the claim it ain't going to be easy.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:27 AM
sk8

Originally Posted by fevo

Tell that to the traffic behind me. I could have jammed on the brakes in the rain, but I would be crying about more then this.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

You might have a tough battle on your hands. Their argument is going to be that you were traveling too fast for conditions and you should have allowed enough room behind the semi to stop safely.

Good luck.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
5 guys I work with got the state to buy them new rims after the DOT cut out a section of the road and didn't put up a sign.

One guy had an SVT focus and it got thrashed. Bent 3 rims, knocked the grill inserts out, something else stupid like the exhaust tip got ripped off or crushed.

A couple days later they put up a "dip" sign almost in the woods and even with the canyon of missing asphalt. Gotta love NCDOT. What a sense of humor.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

yeah the tolls are kinda efed up around here cause of construction. good luck with the claim, unless the barrel was out of place in the middle of a lane I dont think they will pay. I dont even think you could go after the trucker. even though he was the *****
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Was the barrel there to signify that the lane was closed or was it just out of place floating around in the lane. Because if it was there because they lane was closed, they will not pay. But you should have a fighting chance if it was out of place. I woulda got the names and numbers of witnesses and possibly pulled over and called the troopers to file a report on scene if at all possible.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Ouch. The one day i drove my 350Z last week, i slid across black ice and into a gard rail. Didn't do much damage ($3-4k OEM) but when i got out to look, the first thing on my mind was Thank God i wasn't driving my Evo! I feel your pain man.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sk8
Tell that to the traffic behind me. I could have jammed on the brakes in the rain, but I would be crying about more then this.
The sad truth is ppl hitted ur rear is 100% at fault and u will get $$$ for sure

I am just saying it wont be easy for the state to pay u if they pull out that line and cops probably tell u the same thing
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:36 AM
sk8

Originally Posted by NoTec
Was the barrel there to signify that the lane was closed or was it just out of place floating around in the lane.

The barrel was knocked from the side of the road into my lane. They are doing road shoulder work for IPass. No lanes were blocked off. When the semi swerved over, to avoid it, it was rolling around in the middle of my lane. I had no place to go other then punt it head on.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fevo
I think they will say in the driving manual
i agree i think that the state is more than likely going to blame unsafe driving, but if you can prove other wise they might be able to pay for it, or maybe even half, just keep on them, sorry about the crash, at least it was just a little damage and you weren't totaled or your car...