Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will test pipe make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL....right.....

Going to an "offroad pipe" from the factory cat was worth a consistant .2 in the quarter mile for me. Spool is definately enhanced and I do not smell any fumes. My car does sometimes shoot flames though.

http://media.putfile.com/Darth_OnFire61

I dont feel the car is any louder than it was with the cat. I used the mechanical O2 fix and have never had a CEL for the rear O2.

Hands down the testpipe is well worth the $100 for a stainless resonated 3" pipe.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jan 4, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen that vid before and was wondering if those of us who are running catless have the same results of becoming a four wheel flame thower?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really only shoot flames when I run a FAT tune while road racing. My street and drag tunes are much leaner and I haven't had anyone tell me I'm still shooting flames.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxR
Bullisht. They can't prove who has the dirty exhaust from 150 feet away. You can just blame it on any other car in the vicinity.
Yeah, sure... How are you going to blame in on another car after they stop you and see you don't have a cat? I don't know if the are using this technology or if it exists. However, they've had sniffers for a long time that can detect from the exhaust fumes if a car is burning "farm" diesel or not.... Big fines when they catch you and they can sure enough do it.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

yes it will your exhaust note will be louder and u will most likely feel the difference
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

My car was tuned yesterday for alky and Al was not particularly happy with my #'s... When I told him I had a high flow both he and Pruven agreed it's a 20hp or so loss. I will be running a test pipe next week, dyno it, and provide results.

For those of you that think you're doing your job by having a cat, maybe you are maybe you aren't. For years, organizations, including the EPA have commented that platinum and other cat elements are responsible for many unstable particles in the air, and they are worse for the environment than CO. If memory serves, I read while platinum heats up in the cat, it has more residual pollutants than a car running catless for 1 hour - this is completely off memory, but the article was straight from the epa, that I remember for sure.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
My car was tuned yesterday for alky and Al was not particularly happy with my #'s... When I told him I had a high flow both he and Pruven agreed it's a 20hp or so loss. I will be running a test pipe next week, dyno it, and provide results.

For those of you that think you're doing your job by having a cat, maybe you are maybe you aren't. For years, organizations, including the EPA have commented that platinum and other cat elements are responsible for many unstable particles in the air, and they are worse for the environment than CO. If memory serves, I read while platinum heats up in the cat, it has more residual pollutants than a car running catless for 1 hour - this is completely off memory, but the article was straight from the epa, that I remember for sure.
If you made 366WHP on an 05 MR WITH ALKY, YECH, you off by 20WHP ATLEAST.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

It WILL make a differance
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Better yet... Without alky/with test pipe - 366
With alky/with highflow cat - 346
Expecting 390+- with alky and test pipe (figuring i'll max out turbo around there)

This is on DynoJet for all that are wondering
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry but I disagree with most of you (except BMan). Running catless is NOT worth 5, 10 or 20 horsepower for the pollution you will be causing. Yes, it one car and everyone here can use that excuse, but it's complete bullcrap, because they all add up. Just remember it's not my kids you are leaving this planet to, it's yours and they have no where else to go once this one gets ruined. Besides, their are plenty of other ways to increase horsepower cleanly, removing the cat for this is a poor excuse.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Jan 5, 2006 at 05:39 PM.