Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch opinions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Dirk, per our long phone conversation way back when, I thought you made a comment related to lightweight flywheels putting more stress on your clutches. Did I hear you wrong, or is there more to the story that I just don't fully understand? I'd be interested to hear unless you've already given a long explanation elsewhere on here. Just point me to it, if so...
You have heard me say this before; Everything is a compromise. The weight of the flywheel helps to dampen out torsional vibrations just like the springs in the disc. If the flywheel is super light then more vibrations make it through to the disc and the springs in the disc see more of a beating than usual. Also these vibrations have to transmit through the drivestraps of the pressure plate. I am not saying they are not able to take it, but if the engine is set up real radical and produces an unusual amount of torsional vibrations, having a lighter flywheel will only make it worse on parts.