Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so leaning out the mixture would produce the right HP? What about the plug gap?
I have it at .25 should it be bigger?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by czp25
so leaning out the mixture would produce the right HP? What about the plug gap?
I have it at .25 should it be bigger?
Not necessarily. It might make more power on the Dynojet, but not necessarily more power on the road where it matters.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not necessarily. It might make more power on the Dynojet, but not necessarily more power on the road where it matters.
Could you explain why or how a car can make more power on the dyno than on the road? Don't you think leaning out should help in both cases?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, because non-load-bearing dynos like the Dynojet don't accurately mimic street conditions, so the AFRs you see on the Dyno aren't the same as what you'll see on the street where it matters. Leaning out doesn't just randomly help. You can go too lean, which causes knock, pulled timing, less power, and potential engine damage.

Now, I'm not saying that this car isn't rich or that it couldn't benefit from removing some fuel, but I just want people to understand that what you see on the Dynojet isn't necessarily indicative of how the car 's tune performs in real life.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO_8
Could you explain why or how a car can make more power on the dyno than on the road? Don't you think leaning out should help in both cases?

Pretty much when you drive on the road all the correction factors will change your tune somewhat, like temp outside changes from what your temp was on dynojet.... So therefore dialing in your afr on the street is optimal.