Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Year's Evolutions!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Volk TE-37s are strictly for racing due to their extreme cost and extreme weight savings. What sort of racing are you two planning on doing in stock form?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.Hallman MBC

2.TurboTrix reflash
3.HKS blow off w/ recirc kit
4.Buschur 3" downpipe
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hks cams, Fuel Pump, Forge bov, and a good tune....

Last edited by evo_rc; Dec 30, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Volk TE-37s are strictly for racing due to their extreme cost and extreme weight savings. What sort of racing are you two planning on doing in stock form?
I was referring to upgarding wheels only not the Volk TE-37s. I don't plan on doing any racing, thats what I meant by staying with 17s. I have not decided what wheel I want yet. I did have a set of Kyowa wheels ordered, dealer "thought" they would fit when I ordered my ASXs for winter. The Kyowa were very inexpensive and were only going to be used for winter. I think they were 310s (they did not even come close to fitting). Since that time, I have decided that if I am going to have to spend more money for the correct size, I would rather buy something nice and run in the summer, keep stock for winter.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Well, 17s would be for racing, too.

Anyway, I do the opposite of your plan, but that's because my stock rims are the BBS ones, not the stock Enkeis (ick). I use cheap Rota Torques that are the exact stock size for my racing rims and for my Winter rims with Blizzaks.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I would protect those BBS jewels, not cheap! That was my original plan, portecting my stockers but seletions were pretty limited for what I wanted to pay just for winter. There are some nice inexpensive ones, but the more I thought about it, just pay a little more for what I want, and use stock for winter. Next spring will be decision time.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
But the Ecutek tune will cost far more than the Dynoflash. What do you mean you won't have enough funds? You would have $650 in your pocket and would only need half that for Al's tune. It is good to get tuned right when the parts are installed, but is it worth paying an extra $350 to not wait until Jan 28th? I don't know when you're getting the parts installed, so I don't know how long of a wait it would be.
Sorry my grammar is horrible. I don't have the parts as of yet, my plans were to get them sometime in January but Christmas put a huge dent in my walletso getting any mods or even a reflash is on temporary hold. As of deciding between "dynoflash" or "ecutek". Dynoflash is less expensive and "Al" is considered one of the best, but future upgradeability with future mods requires "Al" to reflash. Ecutek costs more, but might be a better option considering that I live about 30min away from Topspeed so if re-tuning was necessary, it wouldn't be a hassle.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

My plan is to install the new Shearer turbo manifold with the GT42R turbo

I have to nut and bolt the entire car and repair any damaged items

Then i have to have the suspension re-calibtared to avoid the pogo stick launches it has been doing

After that I hope to trailer the car to David Buschur for some new intercoller pipes and exhuast

I have to review all the new NOPI and NHRA rules and figure out which class if any I will try and race and what modifcations will be needed - e.g. new roll bar - license and diaper

If all else fails - at least there is the WRX vs. EVO shootout in June in Ohio and the DSM shootout also in Ohio when I can run the car

My goal for 2006 is to continue to have my race car showing up at races and finshing the races in a reliable fashion

Also - I hope to see DF sponsored Warrtalon be the first to go 10's on a stock turbo in a MR.

My customer Bill Z in car number 5 is going to take care of the road racing side this year and I expect him to return to the SCCA national championships at the end of the year

This year we will see ALL previous Evo 8 dyno records for various mod levels shattered with the Evo IX's

In 2006 the Evo IX will really start to shine as more of them are modified and tuners start to unlock the secrets of the new head design and ecu

Hopefully, fosil fuels will last long enough for me to enjoy my evo in my old age.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Dec 30, 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

A mail-in flash takes 2 days round trip and costs far less, but if you require custom dyno re-tuning with all of your future upgrades, then perhaps that is better for you. Just trying to make sure people don't spend unnecessarily large amounts of cash on basic flashes just because of EcuTek's expensive pricing structure (not TopSpeed's fault).

Btw, if you pay for a custom road tune from Dynoflash, all subsequent mail-in flashes are free in case that was a cause for concern. Hopefully, subsequent EcuTek retunes are free, too, not including the dyno time of course.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

HKS 272 /272 intake and exhaust camshafts
HKS EVC V Electronic Boost controller
ARP Headstuds
10.5 hotside
Walboro Fuel pump
Hotchkis lowering springs
CF Vortex generator
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

12 second time slip
cf lip
rims
autocross at least 2 times, lol
track day at road america
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

for 06-
*project MU brakekit
*cwest front
*cusco cage
*defi bf amber

waiting to get installed-
*bride rear fabric(to match brix up front)
*tein flex w. edfc
*seibon ts-II
*IX rear coming soon
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

New wheels/tires
suspension
shortshifter/bushings
various odds ends.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member