Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Question

If i were to buy a used evo, and the engine just completely died. What should i do?

should i get a new engine? Do the dealors sell this too? How much would this probably be?

Engine rebuild? Would this be as strong and reliable as it came originally?

What would u do and how much would u spend?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont buy anything like that at a dealership, buy the parts from the speedshops on here. is this a true story? If it died, you can make it stronger that originally. why not do that?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by trueno429
If i were to buy a used evo, and the engine just completely died. What should i do?

should i get a new engine? Do the dealors sell this too? How much would this probably be?

Engine rebuild? Would this be as strong and reliable as it came originally?

What would u do and how much would u spend?
I would hope the car came with a warranty
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvO2005
I would hope the car came with a warranty
used car+blown engine= warrantied item? Doubt it!! I have seen that happen ONCE, when the oil pickup tube got clogged with plastic (manufactures defect?)New car though.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

haha no i was just wondering? really u can make a blown engine stronger? i didnt know that. How about high-mileage engines, is it better to rebuild it after it dies or just buy a new one? lol imagine a 400whp evo with like 250k miles hahahaha. Smoked ill call u within the next day or two ive been busy, and i still have to order the stuff =D
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
used car+blown engine= warrantied item? Doubt it!! I have seen that happen ONCE, when the oil pickup tube got clogged with plastic (manufactures defect?)New car though.

i am not sure about mitsu specifically, but sometimes you can transfer the balance of the factory warranty when you sell the car.

in regards to the engine, i would have to say it depends on what went wrong with it. you would have to weigh the options and the costs of rebuilding it versus buying a new one.

and i would would definately not go to the dealership, i would look around in the region sections for a reputable shop in your area. the work and the price will most likely be much better.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trueno429
haha no i was just wondering? really u can make a blown engine stronger? i didnt know that. How about high-mileage engines, is it better to rebuild it after it dies or just buy a new one? lol imagine a 400whp evo with like 250k miles hahahaha. Smoked ill call u within the next day or two ive been busy, and i still have to order the stuff =D
Oh jeeeze, I know who you are now! You cant make a blown engine stronger, UNLESS you put stronger/new parts in it FIRST . good luck, if you rebuild a motor, let us know.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

You need to go to a mechanic so that they can take the engine apart and see what happend. Then you take it from there. I wouldn't recomend you going to a dealership unless you have a warranty. You could always go to TT their in NJ and if you search you'll see that alot of people have been happy with their work and customer service.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just Use The Block And Built The **** Out Of It, It Would Probally Cost The Same As Buying A Stock 1 From The Dealer.