Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

some days car will crank some days it wont...Help?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some days car will crank some days it wont...Help?

Hey all,
I have the Buschur mini batery kit and recently I have been experience some problems with starting the Evo. Some times during the day when I go to start my car for whatever reason, it will start up fine. Other times...it just gives a quick "tick" and wont crank over. I replaced the battery, and noticed there is a very small crack in the metal part of the negative battery (clamp?) the metal part that goes over the negative terminal. I am not sure if this could be causing the problem...because if it was the problem wouldnt it not start all the time? I am stumped, and am about to take it in to get it checked out. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance, and yes ....I have searched the topic.

,Tyler
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:50 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

It sounds like you have a bad connection, but not all the time. Have you tried tightening the neg clamp?

BTW, is the clamp corroding? Maybe it's getting so thin that's why there's a crack.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

starter motor issues?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

i have tried tightening and moving the connection around to see if any particular way it was tightened would make a difference and none has thus far. as for corroding, there isnt any corrossion. any other ideas?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

does it do better when it's warm outside or when the car has been driven recently vs. cold conditions or the car sitting all night long before cranking?? The colder the battery gets, the harder it is for it to crank over the motor. If the battery is warmer because the outside temperature is warmer, or the engine bay is warm from running the car recently, it'll crank the car over easier.

If these are your symptoms, it's the battery. But if your symptoms are more haphazard, it could be a lose connection.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:15 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

If it's not the battery connection (have you tried seeing if the positive clamp is tight?) then I'd say the starter motor is the next suspect. Sometimes they stop in the right place and will work and the next time they won't.

Edit: That is, a bad one.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Funny thing is I'm having the same exact problem. The symptoms happened even before I changed the battery. I replaced it with the small oddyssey battery and still same problem. Problems started in August. Odd thing was for the last month the car was working fine, always started. Prior to this month though it just had the same problem. I would always park the car on an inlcined spot so I can push start it if I had to. Now its doing the same thing just randomly not starting. I've noticed couple things that if I try to push start and I failed to get it started I would attempt to start the car normally and bam it would start. There was even a time when I put the rear windows down by accident the car would start but before that it didnt. Its messing with my head if you ask me. I did change the clutch a while back to a twin plate maybe there is some issue with the starter connection or ground.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:37 AM

Does it click or anything when this happens?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
starter motor issues?
Sounds like its the starter going bad.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

no it doesn't click... it sounds like something is turning but it's definately not the engine starting. Almost to what the fuel sounds like when its pumping if u put on WOT at the ON position.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have problem with my Mini Battery too. sometime the car would take 4-6 seconds to turn on onc ei switch the key. So i did a coil test, and my coil was fine. I change my mini to the stock one and it works perfectly.

Check the following
Leakage injectors with your car on
Coils
Fuel pump
Switch the battery to the OEM one.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ryu123
Sounds like its the starter going bad.
+1