Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ebay strut bars revisited

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay strut bars revisited

A while back i wanted to purchase an ebay rear strut bar for my evo. They were selling a few for about 25 bucks. I accidently bought a front one at first but decided to keep it and run some tests on it. No matter how hard I tried I wasn't able to bend the bar anywhere. It would not give even an inch. Not only that but the bar was pretty lightweight. It may not look like the prettiest thing in the world but since I was going to get one for the back I could care less. The rear strut bar I bought looks exactly like the front one I bought. The fit was also perfect and required no fanagling to get to fit properly. As you can see from the pics below, I elevated the bar about a foot off the ground and stood on it. Even then it would not give. I'm about 5'8" 160 pounds. So anyone that wants a rear ebay strut bar and has doubts, I can definately say it was worth it for me. I've had the rear bar for a few months and the welds are still holding up perfectly. The bar is still perfectly straight.

Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what no price?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Not to flame or anything, but I don't think 160 lbs of pressure is going to show the level of pressure the evo would put on that bar in a corner... I don't think it's a good comparison, just my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vanisher
Not to flame or anything, but I don't think 160 lbs of pressure is going to show the level of pressure the evo would put on that bar in a corner... I don't think it's a good comparison, just my opinion.
especially if the weight was distributed the way it was in the picture.

bryan
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:12 PM
cmz

http://stores.ebay.com/PowerImport

$19.95 + $20 domestic shipping = $39.95......

looks interesting......
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that a REWorks bar? My friend has it.. it's not bad. Welds look decent and it braces to the firewall also just lke stock. Not sure what the weight difference is with the stock front bar, but it's not bad for the price.

I'm looking at the combo they have with the lower chassis brace and the front and rear strut bars.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

For anyone that's interested, I emailed the dude from Ebay and he says these strut braces won't fit the Evo IX. (http://stores.ebay.com/PowerImport)

I didn't know there were changes under the hood that made the 03-05 strut braces incompatable with the 06 model...
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

that looks pretty cool, and the price is good. i agree that ur weight might not be the best test for this bar, but i think it gives us a general idea!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

How much does it weigh?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Very interesting how it doesnt fit the IX
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:38 PM

I bought the same rear strut bar and while i do agree that these things are tuff enuff for the job, putting that rear bar on was alot harder than it should have been. I would only get one side bolted right at the kind of "pivot point" but the other side just wouldn't line up. I was able to bolt it and tighten it but it's diffinitely not straight and there is a squeek coming from it every time i take a hard turn. Unfortunately i only realized after buying it that it was made by a no name company that was a part of APC. I knew when buying it that it was a no name but when i saw APC i knew it was going to find a way to give me a hard time. I'd buy one off ebay but would not get the one pictured in this post
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vanisher

from the look of that stomache, i'm going to have to guess 215 pounds of pressure
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt that it's 215Lbs. of pressure being that a plastic toolbox can hold it up without even flinching. lol poor guy
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:26 PM

I got the Cusco CF one for about $225. I wonder if it was a waste of money.

Come to think of it, I still need to install it!

-E
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

All I can say is to each his own. You usually get what you pay for. No free rides in the automotive world. Personally I have a cusco in the front and still looking for the back. Just my couple of pennies....

Quick Reply: Ebay strut bars revisited