Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Airplane Fuel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airplane Fuel

There is an airport near my house that sells 100 octane Low Lead fuel. I run this fuel all the time in my motorcycles, but I just wanted to make sure it would be ok to run it in my evo occasionally. I know all about the lead thing, I am just wondering if there are any differences between airplane fuel and car fuel. I have been told that they have some sort of anti-freeze in airplane fuel that will ruin car motors, but I don't completely believe that. The stuff is only like $.20 more than 91 since there aren't any highway taxes, so it would be way more economical than race gas. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt do it. Avgas is not auto gas. I'm no expert on fuels, but who knows what additives are in there. Or what additives might be missing. And I personally would avoid any lead.

EDIT: there are some suggestions out there for mixing if you really want to do it.. but they seem related more with old american iron than hi-tech motors. And you might want to read up on toluene.

also: http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm

Last edited by rocketscience; Dec 31, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

if you are refering to jp-8 or jetA then if you put that in your motor you better have a diesel, considering the fact that its a combo of diesel and kero.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

If you're comfortable blending gas...

Many enthusiasts use aviation fuel as a blending agent or as a straight gasoline for high-output engines. According to Wusz, aviation gasoline, such as the green 100/130 octane fuel, is generally a lighter specific-gravity fuel that has good octane and a high percentage of alkylate that tends to boost octane. Aviation fuel will work especially well as a blending agent for pump gas but will tend to lean the air/fuel ratio due to its lighter specific gravity of around .69. Also, aviation fuel octane is not rated the same as street gasoline. For example, a 112/160-aviation-fuel-octane rating is equal to 108-octane Unocal 76 leaded race gas.

Quoted from here.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

I also live down the street from an airport, and me and all my friends run AV-Gas for track events (drag/road course), and no one has had problems with it yet.

It's pretty much a given that over time it's going to harm your cat/O2 and whatnot, but I've never actually seen any of my friends have that problem (yet). I personally have run about 20 full tanks through my EVO with no ill-effects, and my other friend with an '03 has probably 100 tanks under his belt.

Go for it.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, just make sure it's avgas, not JET A.

I'mStock, you running a cat, or a test pipe or what? Straight avgas, or a mix?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

huh? why would u ask? the big wing on the back, aerodynamic nose shape, your evo IS a plane.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
huh? why would u ask? the big wing on the back, aerodynamic nose shape, your evo IS a plane.

Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Here you go

http://www.prop-liners.com/avfuel.htm

The gas that is most common at smaller airports the color is blue.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Just don't get caught with it off of an airport, they can fine you pretty heavily if you are using it in a non aviation app.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MM Racing
Just don't get caught with it off of an airport, they can fine you pretty heavily if you are using it in a non aviation app.
wtf? We've run it for years in stuff, not cars, or on road stuff, but fuel is fuel.

If you're running it on the street, you simply haven't paid the highway tax, which is roughly 30%. And yes, you can be fined for it. However if you're running it off the street, ie track, thats off road use. We're not talking using off-road stuff, and running it on the highway (which is rarely checked for).

I have never seen or even heard of a car being stopped, and gas being checked.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

A friend of mine used to work at our local airport and ran the blue AvGas all the time in his Mustang. Never really had any problems except it seemed to be hard on the o2 sensors.

Girlie