Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how did you buy evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealership in Annopolis will let you test drive. I think its called fitzgerald or somethin??
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:19 AM

Thumbs up

Just cruising around with nothing to do one day. I had read a great deal about the Evo, so i decided to check it out. Ooops! Big mistake! Test drove one (at the dealer, I might add.), and it was love at first drive. I even got a $3000.00 rebate!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:41 AM

It all depends on what salesman you get. Two locals guys bought at the same dealer (not at the same time) and one was allowed to test drive it and one wasnt. So if one dealer wont let you, go to the next one.

My salesman was a friend so he knew I was serious. I got to test drive it no problem and I bought it the next day.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I bought it blindly, no test drives . Not a good idea, but it turned out to be the perfect car for me.
+1
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was test driving it for 8 years before i bought mine last Dec...in my dreams!! fell inlove with it the first time i saw it in a dealership in the Philippines 8 years ago($60,000 at the time for an RS, evo 4 i think) ....before i bought mine, no need for test drives...i know what i want and it was just the deal needed ironing out...smile on my face ever since!!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove EVOs at Santa Monica Mitsu and Tustin Mitsu before I actually bought one at Huntington Beach Mitsu (best price). I'd laugh in their face if they said I couldn't test drive it, and just go to a different dealer. It's not a Ferrari F430, for gods sake.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wierd...i am only 19....and they let me test drive a brand new evo 9 mr...but i also drove up in an evo, but they wanted me too. i never even asked!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I had made prior arrangements with the dealership that one of my buddies had bought his evo at 1 month prior. I drove about an hour and a half out there, met up with my buddy and his salesman who already had the keys ready. I didnt step inside the dealership until after the drive and signed the paperwork later that afternoon.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:54 PM
Account Disabled

I insisted, took me a month of constantly going in and *****ing over and over. I was assertive and just say this.

"OH.....So you DON'T want to sell a car today... Where's your manager, I'm going to go tell him I came here to buy a car today, but your the reason why I am not."

It worked quite well.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Now thats the way to buy a car...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I bought it blindly, no test drives . Not a good idea, but it turned out to be the perfect car for me.

Did the same. After 3 years of research I knew exactly what I was getting. Have never had a complaint.

Rode in an Evo VII. Drove my dad's unmodded STI. THought to myself if the Evo 8 is anything like those 2 cars, I want in.

Never had a test drive. Bought Evo. Not one complaint.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Dec 31, 2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

I would recommend doing some research. Preferably from a few automotive magazines, which usually include pros and cons, not just "omfg, it is teh fastor". There is good info and advice here, but like any other car forum, it can be a bit biased.

There is a lot to like about the evo, but it comes with trade offs. It will never be a torquey, quiet, subtle, near-luxury car, no matter what anyone tells you. They attract attention, usually the wrong kind, and the more you modify it, the more attention it seems to get. No cruise control, nav, power seats, heavy sound deadening, etc. Things that some people feel they can live without, until they do for a few months and regret their purchase.

The price range that evo's fall in to seems to lump them in with people cross shopping g-35, tsx, 350z, beat up m3s, wrx, etc. Hard to compare these cars to the evo.

The only close comparison I would draw to the evo is the sti. Very similar cars, but still, different feel and experience in the driving style.

I really enjoy my evo, and coming from an sti, it is a good package. I don't care about any of the above creature comforts, and could care less if it has the status of an m3, or any other car for that matter. It is a car for drivers who enjoy the experience of feeling the car communicate everything. Whether going to the grocery store, driving cross country, or better, getting out on a road course and driving it the way it was meant to be driven.

If you have to test drive one to know if you can live with the trade-offs, it may not be the car for you. Ditto for if it's fast or not. It's fast.

Good luck with your next purchase, I hope you do get an evo, they are great cars.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:43 PM

maybe it's just my local dealer. they are so ****.

anyway thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

hey how old were you guys when you were actually able to purchase your evo?

Im 16 now and drive a 96 eclipse...kinda part of the DSM family...

I hope to find a good job so I can sell my eclipse and save up some money for a down payment on a ix within the next year or so. Not that I expect to get an evo when Im 16...hell even 17. May I ask what you guys do for your jobs/ how much do you make?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Fresno Mitsubishi ran a credit check before they let me drive a new one (and I'm a 36 yr-old professional). Even then, the salesman directed me not to exceed 5000 RPM during the test drive, which of course I didn't.

I fell in love with the car immediately, but ultimately didn't buy one until about 6 months later (from HB Mitsubishi). I didn't need to test drive it then. The sheer wonder of the experience was still haunting me after all those months.