Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how did you buy evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how did you buy evo?

noob here

well, i'm sick of my acura cls, and i decided to trade my car.

and i want evo!!!

but how da hell am i supposed to buy when the dealer won't let me test drive? At my local dealership, they won't let you test drive them unless you are going to actually BUY that specific one, that SAME day.

i was like WTF? by the way i'm 25 year old, not some 17 year old kid.

i hate the new STI because they fuwked up the nose, don't like 350z because it's 2 door. g35 coupe? maybe, but i'm trying to move away from luxo coupe.

seriously, evo is perfect for me, but the fuwkin dealer is acting like evo is ferrari or somethin.

how da hell did you guys buy your evos? you just walked in and bought them? did they let you test drive? where?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
purchased used....i drove it and fell in love....if you know enough about an evo and read all the articles comparing the evo to the sti and others.......you don't need to drive one....it is killer....you wont regret it.....gooooooood luck!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

my advice is to find a used one on a lot and take that for a test drive. Most dealers don't let you test drive the new evo's. Why?? cuz the first think people are going to do is test the performance. I personally am glad nobody got to drive my car before I bought it. Good luck on the purchase..
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

I walked into a dealer after discussing exactly what I wanted to buy and test drive over the phone. I drove over an hour to the dealer in preference to a local dealer 5 mins away due to a certain promotion they were offering, but when I got there, I found they were lying about the offer available and the possibility of a test drive.

I phoned the dealer near my house, went there that day, and told them I would buy if I was happy with the test drive and price. I bought that day.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on the dealer...I doubt Mitsu has an official policy station NO TEST DRIVES...that's pretty ridiculous. As for the dealers i've been to....its the complete opposite. When i was in WA, the local dealer called me 3x in 1 week, waking me up 2x in the morning because they were pretty much begging me to come in and test drive the regular evo9 and the evo9 MR as well as a used Evo8. I test drove evos in the past no problem
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

i just tried different dealers until i found one willing to let me test drive it.

most will be pretty accomidating if you pass the credit check.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my evo in 2003 and fortunately the salesman was a good friend. however quite recently, a friend of mine decided to get an evo. the dealership just gave us the keys and let us take it out alone... (a completely different dealer from the one i bought mine at)

weird i know! maybe cuz we pulled up in my evo.....?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I test drove an 05 by myself. Dealer threw me the keys. I wanted the 05 but we couldnt agree on price/payments. So I bought an used 03 and couldnt be happier. They still call me asking If Im still interested in an EVO.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

When we bought ours, the dealer had an MR and a GSR. The salesman went with us on the GSR testdrive and then we got back and test drove the MR by ourselves. No questions asked at all. Told us to take it as long as we wanted and enjoy ourselves. We ended up buying the MR. Funny thing is, when we looked at SRT4's about 2 years ago no one would let us drive one lol.

FWIW, I am 25 and my husband is 27.

Girlie
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

They begged me to test drive when I bought mine, but I'm a little older than most of you guys and I drove up in my Z06. The dealers should keep an Evo for doing test drives or develope a system to filter out the people who just want to joy ride.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:10 AM

When I went in it was just after looking at an 02 WRX with all sorts of mods on it that I passed on. After looking at the car for a few minutes the salesman asked if I was interested in it. I said yes and he then started talking to me like I was a real person instead of jack slap ricer checking out an MR. I then went and looked at a new STI, but by that time I had already decided on the MR. When I went back to Mitsu later that night it took 3 rounds of negotiations to get the thing off the showroom floor for a test drive, 8 miles on it at this point. 20 miles and 1 1/2 hours later I was driving it home. It was a real struggle to get the test drive though!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Day 1 looked at cars (incl. STI and A4), Day 2 drove STI and Evo, Day 3 drove and bought Evo.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Let me tell you how i did it. I was 21 at the time and had a 350z automatic. I was just getting into sports cars so i bought lots of magazines. Well in every issue i bought there was an evo on the front cover. I started seeing lots of evo articles and comparisons. The evo would win almost every category and was always compared to more expensive cars. I was convinced this was the one. I went to the dealership with my dad and saw a used 03 black evo. I had to see it. So my dad drives the car and im the passenger and the salesman is in the back. I kept asking my dad, how does it drive, does it feel powerfull?? And he knows nothing about the evo but that it has a 2.0 liter turbocharged and he says yeah it feels very powerfull for a fourbanger. I signed the papers and traded in the 350z and went home with my dad driving. Now that i got home it was time to learn how to drive standard. So i purchased a car without drving it and basicly learned how to drive all over again. Its evrything the mags claimed it was. Faster and more usefull than my old Z.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

When I went it I was just straight forward, I knew that most dealers were not allowing you to test drive the cars so I was quite frank. I told the salesman what is going to make me want to buy this car if I can't drive it. I can go to subaru and test drive its direct competitor, I can go test drive a 100k porsche with no question but I can't test drive a 30k mits. He was like you have an excellent point, a few mintues later he got the keys. We went out for a test drive, couldn't agree on numbers and I walked. 3 months later he called me back told me about the 0% apr offer went in and looked at an evo they had. He tossed me the keys and I went out for like 30-45 min with the car. Came back made my offer and left, he called me a couple days later saying its good to go. I was 22 at the time, now 23 if that matters at all.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought it blindly, no test drives . Not a good idea, but it turned out to be the perfect car for me.