Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO almost got rear-ended by a State Trooper....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO almost got rear-ended by a State Trooper....

I was driving out late last night to see my girl.....I was leaving from a Honda meet out on LI and headed out to I 80 in NJ.

I found some open stretch of road and decided to accelerate a bit and at 80-90+ all of a sudden I see a pair of non-hid headlights gain on me real quick so I immediately hit the brakes real hard to slow down to 60-70..... since from past exerience only cops would gain on you like that.

anyhow I decided to slow down real quick in case the cop wanted to tag me on his radar...

Low and behold he gets close to my bumper and I see the light bars across his roof and he gets on my tail and blares his horn, turns on his sirens and then I moved over so that he can a) pass me or b) pull me over.

To my luck, he just wanted me to get out of the way and he sped off into the distance.

My heart sure was pounding at the moment.... all i wanna say is that got lucky cuz I was about to pull even more.....

The point is if you drive fast be alert of whats going on around you.... cops love to sneak up on speeding motorists....
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost got rear ended the first nite I took my evo home by a limo.

But yeah that trooper was probably trying to bait you into speeding. Since you didn't fall for it, he decided to scare you out of the way.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:00 AM

Good thing you didn't have a wreck or a ticket, but if he did rear end you then you could've gotten a 9 JDM rear bumper! j/k...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I got pulled over once, where the trooper said (and I am quoting directly)

you were tailgating the car in front of you and your brakes are too damm good!
ummm... yeah... I got pulled over because in the time that the trooper spotted me, I had passed 4 cars in the left lane (I was in the right lane) in the middle of a corner. All the cars I passed were traveling below the posted speed limit (and tailgating each other), I was just above the posted speed limt.

My response was, "sorry officer, but I don't feel safe in the left lane because people tailgate me too much and I don't want to get rear ended, I will try to be more aware of the traffic around me. BTW, I will not get out of the right lane unless I am passing some one."

He lectured me a little more and let me go with a verbal warning.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Smashing the Brakes was Stupid....shoulda let off and geared down...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah

Exactly, you NEVER want to hit your brakes if you think a cop is around as it shows guilt. Let off the gas, downshift, and use your ebrake if you have to, to slow down.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use ur ebrake on the highway??? haha, now thats some funny Sh%t.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah

Yes, I could have geared down but it probably would not slowed me down enough to legal speeds in the event that he was really trying to clock me.

but what the heck, they troopers should not be sneaking up on motorists like that at that pace from behind anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Exactly, you NEVER want to hit your brakes if you think a cop is around as it shows guilt. Let off the gas, downshift, and use your ebrake if you have to, to slow down.
e brake?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
e brake?

Your not going to pull it enough to lock your rear tires, but enough to slow down the car without triggering the brake lights. Use some common sense.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Can someone explain the propensity for cops to ride your rear bumper, even if they don't pull you over? I've never understood that. I'm guessing it comes down to intimidation, but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Can someone explain the propensity for cops to ride your rear bumper, even if they don't pull you over? I've never understood that. I'm guessing it comes down to intimidation, but I could be wrong.
In most cases I think it is to read your plate so they can run it. I know I have trouble seeing liscense plates at night sometimes.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

E-brake = No tail lights. You can pull up pretty hard with out locking up.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

i use my ebrake, u dont yank the sucker like ur trying to impress someone at a D event, u can pull it up a few clicks without locking up, it eliminates the brake light like said above.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

It is harder for the officer to prove guilt as long as you have slowed down before he clocks you, so I say to press the brakes. With a radar they have to tag you for 3 seconds so you better beat them to it. You may be lucky and he may view it as a sign of respect for you slowing down knowing he was there. I use the e-brake if the cops are behind me but if they are clocking on the shoulder it is ABS, as long as no one is behind me. My ony complaint about the evo's wing is the added difficulty in spotting a cop car. In my old car I was able to identify the cop cars easily, but now their bumpers are split in half by the wing, so I cannot tell if it is a cop behind me.

Quick Reply: EVO almost got rear-ended by a State Trooper....