Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: ???
1. Idiot...keept the Suby
25.00%
2. NO... buy your uncles EVO
60.94%
3. Tough Choice... i Dont know either
14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the WRX or buy the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep Rex, and if ur going to part it out, then i got dips on the headlights for my lil sister. heh heh
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Like i said on SocalEvo..keep the subie..you've gone along way.....do a STi motor swap. Done.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Keep the wrx.

Your wrx is super clean man. Evo will cost you 5k more + insurance. More $$$ to maintain it aswell. If money seems to be the problem don't go broke and buy a car that will make your pockets empty. The evo is an all-around better car, but is being broke worth having a better all-around car?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

If you like to drive - get the Evo. No comparison to a low power WRX. Spend money on a performance car. Don't know why u sunk so much money into a WRX.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kRzY
Ok i posted this on nasioc but its kinda bias cuz its a suby forum so i wanted to see what u guys think...anyways
should i keep my 02 wrx that i bought for about 13 and just painted or buy my uncles 03 evo that is completely stock (I like it that its stock though) The wrx has 75k miles and the evo has 45k miles. Hes only selling cuz he wants to get an suv/truck. Hes selling the evo for about 23k but he said he'll give it to me for only $18,000. what do u think? It will be easier for me just to keep the rex but if i want the evo i would have to part the car and sell the wrx and thats a hassle. help...and Please dont tell me to get a different car other than the used evo cuz i dont have the money. Thanks

02 WRX

After paint

03 Evo8

i think you know my advice !

Your suby looks nice BTW - reminds me of my old WRX. What ever you do you cant go wrong as long as you dont buy one of those new subys with the ugly gay beak thing on the nose.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Your rex looks really good, but as warrtalon said earlier in the thread, there is a lot to be said for a newer/lower mileage car that has a higher potiential for tuning. I dont think I saw it in the thread, but have you driven the evo? Did you like it? That would be the first place to start.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you value performance, the EVO is definitely the ticket. However, if money is an issue and you like your WRX, I'd be hard pressed to criticize you if you decided to keep it. That Subbie looks great! I voted to get the EVO, but it's not a totally clear thing. It depends a lot on what you value most.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:32 PM

the evo, hands down
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean looking subie...hate to say it but keep it!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Keep the wrx.

Your wrx is super clean man. Evo will cost you 5k more + insurance. More $$$ to maintain it aswell. If money seems to be the problem don't go broke and buy a car that will make your pockets empty. The evo is an all-around better car, but is being broke worth having a better all-around car?
I can't speak to the insurance issue, because that can vary wildly depending on the age/driving record of the individual. However as far as maintanence is concerned, it's not as costly as some on this board would have you believe. If you buy the Mobile 1 and have someone change your oil for you, you're looking at around $45 or so for an oil change (not that bad). Or you can do it yourself. The 30K service can be done for a few hundered dollars if you shop around. The Advans are expensive, of course. However you are not obligated to outfit your Evo with the most expensive tires in the universe. It doesn't get the best gas mileage, but you could do far worse. All in all, the Evo is a fairly decent car to own, costwise. It becomes a money pit when you start modding it like crazy. Mods can be expensive and have the potential to cause mechanical problems. I'm just echoing what some on this forum have said over the last year.

Drive both, as mentioned before. I'd go with the Evo if you like it and can afford it. You only live once. It's a wonderful car and a delight to drive - nothing like it.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

If you care about appearance more than performance keep the WRX. I have a 03 evo and absolutely love it. It fact I love it so much I just got rid of my sti and ordered a evo 9.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

well,......the only thing that subie needs is a HUGE front mount.....keep it
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the wrx and do a JDM motor swap.
If it was for a new EVO IX then sell your wrx fast because the IX is such a beast.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KRZY,

Beautiful car, tough decision, that WRX looks very sweet. I had a WRX for exactly 2 years, Mine was a Sonic Yellow Special edition and I had $7000 on engine mods alone, another $1300 in stereo(ice) and another $2000 cosmethics( gauges, carbon fiber raisers,apr mirrors etc)

Sorry to tell you but the WRX is simply in an inferior category, it is inferior on brakes, on wheels,on tires,on seats, on suspension and above all is far inferior when refering to the engine and engine mods.

Be very aware that the 03 Evo have teh identical issues than the WRX have with the trannies. If you can get a 05 Evo it would be perfect but still going from the WRX to a 03 Evo is a huge jump.

I replaced my trany twice on my WRX in less than two months and I ended paying out of my own pocket , very expensive if you ask me and remember, my car only had 21k miles at the time.

I would honestly say change your WRX for a Evo and never look back, it is a win to win situation, you wouldn't regret.

$7000 on engine mods ,tunning and labor got me a pathetic 13.2@104(my best) on the WRX.

On the other hand just under $1500 got me well settle in the 12's and trapping 107-108 on my Evo 8 MR

Go for the Evo dude...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It's a no-brainer as long as you're willing to part out the Rex. 18k for a stock Evo that hasn't been abused is the ticket.
Oh yeah Warrtalon , you just brought the shinest point on my comment, Did I forgot to say that I did recup'd about 70% of the money back by selling the WRX upgrade parts on NASIOC? Some local shop (iaperformance) even purchased the two broken trannies from me.

I sold everything so fast that I had to turn down many many people because I sold everything that fast. Definately the demand for use parts on the WRX/STI is huge, consider that advice from Warratlon and myself, I completly forgot to mention about it.. Thanks Warrtalon