Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gingerman "Spin"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What '06 Gingerman HPDE events are you guys going to? Gingerman is not anywhere in NASA's schedule this year...bummer! It was about a 7 hour drive for me to get up there last year, but I loved the course, especially the turns where the above off-road shortcut took place.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

here's one of 'em

http://www.speedtrialusa.com/index1.html

Originally Posted by mayhem
What '06 Gingerman HPDE events are you guys going to? Gingerman is not anywhere in NASA's schedule this year...bummer! It was about a 7 hour drive for me to get up there last year, but I loved the course, especially the turns where the above off-road shortcut took place.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Gingerman is said to be one of the safest tracks, correct? hence me seeing lots and lots of grass and no walls. That's good, cause I'm sure that ITR driver wouldn't want a wall to stop them hehe.

I can't wait to get out to the tracks..autocrossing is fun, but track days are another thing. Glad I live in the Chicagoland area, there seems to be a lot of good tracks around here
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

yup. lots of run off room.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, Gingerman is a very safe track.................But with that said, The ITR could have easliy "dug in" the left side tires and rolled.

Yes, I do see you point of view. i was just feeling a little sensative about the deliver. Water under the bridge.

>>>>1:37 was on street tires and the Eibach. This year I will swap in a set of coilovers. Once I get those dialed in I will switch to some race rubber to see what she will do. I am hoping for 33-34s with those 2 changes.

I will be there with Speedtrials, The ITR EXPO and the WMHM. Those are the only events that I know of at this point. I haven't even looked at the schedule for next year yet.

Here are a couple of picture from Gratton this past year: Best laps = 1:31s there

ONE LAP LATER:

Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

AndrewSS I also checked out the viper attack vid and the drivers "holy ****" is right
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:57 PM

a) Its on the track, isnt everything supposed to be taken to the track in the first place? (This is a good thing 100%)
b) Its going to happen stop giving the guy some grief, yes set an example but even the best persons need to blow off steam on occasion (IMO) as long as its safe, what more can you expect?
c) Love the evo, and FYI the ITR is sweet too...
Old Jan 1, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andenbre
AndrewSS I also checked out the viper attack vid and the drivers "holy ****" is right
OMG, WOW that video is nuts... glad you pointed that video out I hadnt seen it before. FYI thats not my site, he just hosted some stuff for me
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I had no idea this many EVO guys visit Gingerman.....I've been there a couple times with my probe GT but haven't made it there with the EVO yet. Its a hella long trip for me because I have to go around the lake through Chicago!

I have never been to Grattan but REALLY WANT TO GO BAD! If ANY of you find an event at Grattan please email me JEFFJESKE@JEFFJESKE.COM.

Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewSS
haha, nice GIF what date was that video on? I was at gingerman for my first time on 10/22/05 and I had a blast, I recognized your evo and that ITR... I am wondering if that was the same day. I was there with my buddy who had a white 2.5rs coupe that spun a bearing, yikes! And I have my blue/gold STi in intermediate, anyway, just saying hi! I plan to go back in the spring again.

btw, here is an incar video of me at gingerman: http://www.skuttlemotorsports.com/club.htm download the link that is "sti running laps at gingerman" since you say you have instructor experience and a lot of time on that track, im assuming, would you mind giving me some feedback, I was without an instructor the whole day so I was trying to sort it out myself, but I need work for sure. Thanks!
not bad for a first time out. I was thinkin, i didn't know they came in auto

yes, shifting helps.

Biggest thing is you'll get after running it a few times, is you're fluid with your movements, you come into a corner, and set the turn, and pretty much maintain that wheel angle through the turn, rather than coming in turning in harder letting off, etc. just makes the suspension re-settle.

I wish i still lived up there, i Believe i saw/spoke with one of you at the WMHM last year, when we had the one tool that didn't realize it was a lapping day, and decided to pass me braking into 1 and was booted.

I plan on bringin the car up in fall and running a time or two, please keep me informed on the dates/times.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mayhem
also, check out CGI motorsports, kinda a drivers learning day, but good open track time in sessions. I've run with them once, but a few of the locals are regulars.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Man I bet that guy in the ITR was cleaning dirt out of his eyes and car for a month...you can see it just flowing into the car like wind.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
not bad for a first time out. I was thinkin, i didn't know they came in auto

yes, shifting helps.

Biggest thing is you'll get after running it a few times, is you're fluid with your movements, you come into a corner, and set the turn, and pretty much maintain that wheel angle through the turn, rather than coming in turning in harder letting off, etc. just makes the suspension re-settle.

I wish i still lived up there, i Believe i saw/spoke with one of you at the WMHM last year, when we had the one tool that didn't realize it was a lapping day, and decided to pass me braking into 1 and was booted.

I plan on bringin the car up in fall and running a time or two, please keep me informed on the dates/times.
yeah it just sucks that on the two straights when I hit redline in 4th... right after a shift to 5th you would be in braking and then have to downshift, so i decided for my first time out I wouldnt even bother with shifting...

anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:20 PM

last year, me and a couple evom member went to gingerman. it is a fun track, but grattan is 5 times funner. I know motorcity bmw club host track school at grattan regularly.

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Well I had no idea this many EVO guys visit Gingerman.....I've been there a couple times with my probe GT but haven't made it there with the EVO yet. Its a hella long trip for me because I have to go around the lake through Chicago!

I have never been to Grattan but REALLY WANT TO GO BAD! If ANY of you find an event at Grattan please email me JEFFJESKE@JEFFJESKE.COM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well if you fellas make it to Grattan definately shout at me. I'm game any time. Been trying to get there for two years.