Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gingerman "Spin"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gingerman "Spin"

Prior to the EVO I had an "track prepped" Integra Type R. The Driver in the White ITR and I have been on the track as instructors numerous times over the past 5-6 years. I often "pressure" him before a pass for fun. Everytime I pass him he extends the middle finger as a sign of respect. The prelude to this is a fairly quick "S" section (80 mph) in a hard brake zone to setup for this corner onto the straight.

I came up on him in the brake-zone and swerved from the left to the right and back to the left for entertainment. I watched his eyes in the mirror watching me.............he should have been watching the track

Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Middle finger=respect?

ok then
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

i miss my ITR. great car for the track.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

haha, nice GIF what date was that video on? I was at gingerman for my first time on 10/22/05 and I had a blast, I recognized your evo and that ITR... I am wondering if that was the same day. I was there with my buddy who had a white 2.5rs coupe that spun a bearing, yikes! And I have my blue/gold STi in intermediate, anyway, just saying hi! I plan to go back in the spring again.

btw, here is an incar video of me at gingerman: http://www.skuttlemotorsports.com/club.htm download the link that is "sti running laps at gingerman" since you say you have instructor experience and a lot of time on that track, im assuming, would you mind giving me some feedback, I was without an instructor the whole day so I was trying to sort it out myself, but I need work for sure. Thanks!

Last edited by AndrewSS; Jan 1, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
I have been on the track as instructors numerous times ... I often "pressure" him before a pass for fun. ... and swerved from the left to the right and back to the left for entertainment.
First, I'm gald no one got hurt or damaged their cars.

Secondly, it sounds quite irresponsible to me (especially that you may be an instructor). I'd expect that kind of behaviour from some ametour run group.

Sorry that my post comes across somewhat direct and negative, but I don't think setting an example of pressuring people (even your friends) into making mistakes at a track is of any good to anyone. A lot of people look up to instructors and follow their examples & attitudes. I don't see your example contributing to anything positive and it defnitiely does not promote safety that most clubs try to drill into the heads of their participans.

If you have have the need to pressure people at a track, consider participating in real races. No one will give you any grief for pressuring people there.

I hope you reconsider your recreational track driving attitude.... good luck.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Middle finger=respect?

ok then
That's what I was thinking.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
First, I'm gald no one got hurt or damaged their cars.

Secondly, it sounds quite irresponsible to me (especially that you may be an instructor). I'd expect that kind of behaviour from some ametour run group.

Sorry that my post comes across somewhat direct and negative, but I don't think setting an example of pressuring people (even your friends) into making mistakes at a track is of any good to anyone. A lot of people look up to instructors and follow their examples & attitudes. I don't see your example contributing to anything positive and it defnitiely does not promote safety that most clubs try to drill into the heads of their participans.

If you have have the need to pressure people at a track, consider participating in real races. No one will give you any grief for pressuring people there.

I hope you reconsider your recreational track driving attitude.... good luck.
Thank you for the safety speech, but save your breath.

I understand what you are saying...........however this took place in an "instructors" run group where many, If not all of us have participated in some level of racing. For many instructors HPDEs are an opportunity for many to get out and practice, sometimes in our street cars. We do not "run" with students at all.

This also took place between two friends that have driven on numerous tracks in the country together (Mid-Ohio, Beaverun, Mid America Motorplex............) and at least 1000 laps around Gingerman together. We are both aware of the others driving style.

As far as leading by example...............Fine: For all of you drivers that looked at the pictures, be aware of your surrondings at all times, But do not drive in your mirrors and always look ahead. Your car will follow your eyes.

At no time was there any intention by me to hurt or injure a driver or car. This is just an exaple of what can happen on a road course when your are not paying attention.

Sorry if this seams Sarcastic.........................but it is. I think you could have just asked me a question or two about the situation before you tried to repremand me.

If you do not what students exposed to drivers under pressure we should remove their Speed Channel, and that Drifting thing..........they are driving way to close.

MATTJ.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndrewSS
haha, nice GIF what date was that video on? I was at gingerman for my first time on 10/22/05 and I had a blast, I recognized your evo and that ITR... I am wondering if that was the same day. I was there with my buddy who had a white 2.5rs coupe that spun a bearing, yikes! And I have my blue/gold STi in intermediate, anyway, just saying hi! I plan to go back in the spring again.

btw, here is an incar video of me at gingerman: http://www.skuttlemotorsports.com/club.htm download the link that is "sti running laps at gingerman" since you say you have instructor experience and a lot of time on that track, im assuming, would you mind giving me some feedback, I was without an instructor the whole day so I was trying to sort it out myself, but I need work for sure. Thanks!
Yes, I was there on that day, that was me at the end of the video. On that day I ran a best of 1:37.xx

After watching your video I sure with myself or another instructor can help you "clean-up" a few of the lines but overall there is nothing a little seat time at the track can't cure.............................and secure the passenger seat harness next time. (at least that is what is sounds like "clinking" around in the video

Mattj.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

was the corvette going to be your next victim? Sweet set of pictures and cool driving.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

It's very exciting to hear about you and your EVO turning a 1:37 at Gingerman w/o a huge mod list. I just got my EVO in October (same year color as yours) and can't wait to take it to Gingerman and Grattan next year.
Last year in my VW R32, I could only muster 1:39-1:40 at Gingerman and 1:32 at Grattan. This thing feels much faster!
Thanks for the goal-maybe I'll see you out there. I'll be doing my best to hit that time!!

Johannes
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

hearing about you guys, i guess i still have a lot to learn...Matt J you gotta give me some pointers please at Gingerman.

My best at Gingerman was 1:42:xx (that was the only time i've timed it) and it was sometime in late September at the Track and Tune.

My stock tires were pretty much shot so i'll see what i can get to with RA1s this year. My mods were a TBE with cat delete and RRE tuned street/track suspension. I know the suspension has helped me a lot as my speed at the back straight was 100mph and before on stock suspension i was able to get to 92mph.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I was there on that day, that was me at the end of the video. On that day I ran a best of 1:37.xx

After watching your video I sure with myself or another instructor can help you "clean-up" a few of the lines but overall there is nothing a little seat time at the track can't cure.............................and secure the passenger seat harness next time. (at least that is what is sounds like "clinking" around in the video

Mattj.
thanks for the feedback, I plan to go back in the spring with speedtrial again, hopefully you will be able to give me some pointers. I cant wait to get back, I love reviewing my video, I believe I can do a lot better next time, honestly that day since it was my first time on that track I was holding back quite a bit, now I feel much better about going to that track! Thing that sucks... is the STi gearing and gingerman dont really go well together, oh well just more shifting required I suppose.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

I think you could have just asked me a question or two about the situation before you tried to repremand me.
I did not need to as I deduced from your post that you were experiend, driving in the instructors group and that you had no students in your car. It was also clear in your post that the pressure play was beteeen you and your friend.

However, having participated in instructors groups as well, I know some instructors take students out in their groups to show them things at a faster pace. Students also watch from the sidelines and sometimes imitate, without having the full explantion of the actions taken.

It is unfortunate you don't fullly see my point of view. Students look at the instructors at all times, even if you are off on your own in your own group. You are like a teacher, a role model. Lead by good example - That was my intent of the post.

I do agree, that driving in your mirror leads to incidents as the one you posted.

Play safe....
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
I did not need to as I deduced from your post that you were experiend, driving in the instructors group and that you had no students in your car. It was also clear in your post that the pressure play was beteeen you and your friend.

However, having participated in instructors groups as well, I know some instructors take students out in their groups to show them things at a faster pace. Students also watch from the sidelines and sometimes imitate, without having the full explantion of the actions taken.

It is unfortunate you don't fullly see my point of view. Students look at the instructors at all times, even if you are off on your own in your own group. You are like a teacher, a role model. Lead by good example - That was my intent of the post.

I do agree, that driving in your mirror leads to incidents as the one you posted.

Play safe....
Driving your mirrors is a very good point to keep in mind. It'll bite you every time. BTW, there was someone riding shotgun in the ITR.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Middle finger=respect?

ok then
Seriously, some of you guys need to understand what sarcasm is.

Don't worry pal, I got the joke, and I thought it was funny.

Also half of the holier then thou's posting how dangerous it was are street racing every chance they get so I disregard those comments to. ....