Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me spend some Christmas cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RED DEMON
dealers have no way of detecting a reflash. and a manual BOOST CONTROLLER does exactly what the name says.

But if you are asking what a MBC is, i strongly think you shoold NOT purchase one for the sake of your engine (and if you are worried abt warranty). Go with the basic and simple mods IMO
I agree.. thats exactly why I dont have a MBC caus I dont want to touch the turbo. I feel like there is enough boost from the factory... or does the MBC do something else other then turn up the boost?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Dont take this the wrong way but I suggest you use your x-mas cash to get a book on the fundimentals of a turbo charged motor. MBC is as basic a mod as you can do to these cars.

How old are you?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Warrtalon Stage 1 - Forge UNOS MBC/Forge RS DV/Boost Gauge
Warrtalon Stage 2 - DynoFlash/Megan TBE/Walbro255

Thats what Warrtalon is running per his sig. If he is running anything else I dont know but if you notice the basic mods of MBC, New BOV, Reflash, Turbo Back and fuel pump. He runs great numbers with that.

Ok, so it seems like a tune and an MBC but I have to learn more about these two mods first. I had a WRX which I ran catless and saw big gains from thats why I asked about the original set up. There are places on the east coast that can reflash. More info on why so many people get the MBC would be great.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Dont take this the wrong way but I suggest you use your x-mas cash to get a book on the fundimentals of a turbo charged motor. MBC is as basic a mod as you can do to these cars.

How old are you?

If its so basic just explain what do does... im 28. I can go to howstuffworks.com if i need to know about how a turbo works.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

loL.... I already told you what it does, or did you miss that post?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ashton13
If its so basic just explain what do does... im 28. I can go to howstuffworks.com if i need to know about how a turbo works.
The Boost controller not only allows you to raise or lower boost. It will hold the desired boost closer to redline. The stock boost will fall off as you get closer to redline. On my 05 Rs I would see 20.5psi of boost but it would drop down to about 17.5 at redline. A boost controller will let you hold more boost to redline, as well as limiting boost spike in cold weather.

As a side note my stock boost gauge was off by around 2psi so a boost gauge is a good investment.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so it seems like a tune and an MBC but I have to learn more about these two mods first. I had a WRX which I ran catless and saw big gains from thats why I asked about the original set up. There are places on the east coast that can reflash. More info on why so many people get the MBC would be great.
I recommend the exact mods in my sig, which is why I put them there. Your car would be a beast with a Megan downpipe, Megan testpipe, Forge UNOS MBC, Walbro fuel pump and Dynoflash.

However, as the others have been saying, if you don't even know what an MBC is, what it does, or why it's important, then you _really_ have no business doing any mods. You already got an expensive BOV that was not at ALL useful for your mods and will never be useful if you stay at stock boost. Also, if you are avoiding a flash due to warranty reasons, your warranty went out the window with the BOV and will do so even more with the removal of the cat or addition of an MBC. In fact, the flash is the absolute BEST mod you can get for the price and power when maintaining the warranty, because it's not easily detectable, not noticable to the naked eye, and not likely to ever be found or proven...not to mention that with a Dynoflash, you can send your ECU and have it flashed back to stock for free in case you need to go to the dealership for warranty work and are worried.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I recommend the exact mods in my sig, which is why I put them there. Your car would be a beast with a Megan downpipe, Megan testpipe, Forge UNOS MBC, Walbro fuel pump and Dynoflash.

However, as the others have been saying, if you don't even know what an MBC is, what it does, or why it's important, then you _really_ have no business doing any mods. You already got an expensive BOV that was not at ALL useful for your mods and will never be useful if you stay at stock boost. Also, if you are avoiding a flash due to warranty reasons, your warranty went out the window with the BOV and will do so even more with the removal of the cat or addition of an MBC. In fact, the flash is the absolute BEST mod you can get for the price and power when maintaining the warranty, because it's not easily detectable, not noticable to the naked eye, and not likely to ever be found or proven...not to mention that with a Dynoflash, you can send your ECU and have it flashed back to stock for free in case you need to go to the dealership for warranty work and are worried.

AMEN...... preach brother preach.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Meg
The Boost controller not only allows you to raise or lower boost. It will hold the desired boost closer to redline. The stock boost will fall off as you get closer to redline. On my 05 Rs I would see 20.5psi of boost but it would drop down to about 17.5 at redline. A boost controller will let you hold more boost to redline, as well as limiting boost spike in cold weather.

As a side note my stock boost gauge was off by around 2psi so a boost gauge is a good investment.
There will always be a slight boost taper even with a MBC. This taper will happen with the stock turbo since it "runs out of breath" at the upper rpms. The 16g is a small turbo and loses effeciency in the upper rpms; that causes a slight tpaer in the boost. Some have also mentioned that the flap on the wastegate has a weak spring and at higher rpms stay a bit open causing taper.

So you are right that an MBC REDUCES taper, but does not eliminate it 100%. Ofcourse, there are some exceptions out there.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, whats up, I currently have a few bolt on mods on my RS ( Invidia G200 Cat-back, APS BOV, Blitz drop in filter). I looking at running catless with an Ultimate Racing test pipe and also getting an LS downpipe. Two things... do you think I will see about 20 whp gains over the current set up? And will this need a tune too?
May I suggest a JIC downpipe since it fits the 05 Evos, but you will need to space the lower brace or go with an RMR brace. May I also suggest going with a UR high flow cat instead of catless. It is a FEDERAL srime driving w/o a cat and a smart police officer can smell that you are running catless and give you a nice $1000 ticket.

Please do not get an MBC since you do not seem to know what you are doing. You might blow up your engine if you adjust your MBC poorly.

Get a $200 mail-in flash if you want since it far easier to remove the ECU and send it to AL than to porperly install and dial an MBC. Also, if a dealer sees your MBC, then your warranty is toast. An ECU flash is harder to detect.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

He only said that "it will hold the desired boost closer to redline," which is true. Of course, the boost still tapers, especially after redline (7k), but as he said, an MBC "will hold the desired boost closer to redline" unlike the stock BCS.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
May I suggest a JIC downpipe since it fits the 05 Evos, but you will need to space the lower brace or go with an RMR brace.
You only suggest the JIC because it "fits" the 05? Are there any that DON'T fit the 05? Also, if you have to space the lower brace or change the brace, then I don't really consider that to be a part that "fits." Is it cheaper than the Megan DP that fits without spacers?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

lol yeah i agree with the book deal there because to me its kinda scary having a person that doesnt seem to get the concept of a mbc twisting the knob of it not know what the results will be. As well as the consequences of raising the boost level... personally i suggest leaving the car stock and live out your warranty....
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

MEGAN is the best bang for the buck exhaust for the EVO IMO.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
He only said that "it will hold the desired boost closer to redline," which is true. Of course, the boost still tapers, especially after redline (7k), but as he said, an MBC "will hold the desired boost closer to redline" unlike the stock BCS.
I am not disagreeing with you or him. I am simply clarifying to the novice poster that there will always be a tapering of the boost with the stock turbo. Since the original poster seems to lack the basics, I did not want the guy to get the impression that there will not be ANY boost taper. That is all. Both of us are correct: an MBC will hold boost way better than the stock BCS, but there will still be boost taper due to the inefficiency of the stock turbo at the top end.