Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me spend some Christmas cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
He only said that "it will hold the desired boost closer to redline," which is true. Of course, the boost still tapers, especially after redline (7k), but as he said, an MBC "will hold the desired boost closer to redline" unlike the stock BCS.

Thats all I wanted to know about the MBC. It holds boost better after the spike. Was that so hard?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ashton13
Thats all I wanted to know about the MBC. It holds boost better after the spike. Was that so hard?

HUH????????
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
HUH????????

The MBC increases the boost so it holds better to the redline. I notice the boost top out at 4500 rpm then drop off.. i guess the MBC improves on the amount of loss after the spike and holds the boost better than stock. It seems wierd this is the most popular mod due to the fact you can really do some damage. But then again im not the expert like all of you are.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MBC increases the boost so it holds better to the redline. I notice the boost top out at 4500 rpm then drop off.. i guess the MBC improves on the amount of loss after the spike and holds the boost better than stock. It seems wierd this is the most popular mod due to the fact you can really do some damage. But then again im not the expert like all of you are.
Sheesh.

No, the MBC just takes control of boost away from the Boost Control Solenoid. That's it. It sets the boost wherever you want it. A side-effect of this is that it takes the Boost Control Solenoid out of the equation. It's the BCS - by command of the ECU - that FORCES the boost to taper early and down to a much lower level. With the MBC, there is nothing forcing the taper, so the only taper that occurs is the natural taper caused by the turbo running out of breath at high rpm. What we do is RAISE the boost over stock, because we can safely run more boost than stock on pump gas and MUCH higher boost when on race gas or alcohol injection. For instance, I run 21-22psi on 93oct and 24-25psi on race gas (100-116oct).

An MBC is only as dangerous as its owner, which is why we've all suggested that you NOT get one (or any additional mods for that matter).
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:51 PM

An MBC is only as dangerous as its owner, which is why we've all suggested that you NOT get one (or any additional mods for that matter).
Harsh, yea get you some literature man and read up, or just lurk forums like this for a few years, alot will sink in. I learned everything I know about cars from forums and magazines, as well as some questioning of friends and a little hands on experience.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
You only suggest the JIC because it "fits" the 05? Are there any that DON'T fit the 05? Also, if you have to space the lower brace or change the brace, then I don't really consider that to be a part that "fits." Is it cheaper than the Megan DP that fits without spacers?
More clarification: When I said fits I meant that it does not hit the ACD or the oil pan. JIC is also a 3 inch dp and most of the 3 inch dp that I know of do not clear the lower brace. Maybe the megan is different, I do not know. So you either have to space it or you have to use the RMR brace. I went with the RMR brace because it is stronger than the stock one and adds more rigidity as well as clearing the 3 inch JIC dp.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
More clarification: When I said fits I meant that it does not hit the ACD or the oil pan. JIC is also a 3 inch dp and most of the 3 inch dp that I know of do not clear the lower brace. Maybe the megan is different, I do not know. So you either have to space it or you have to use the RMR brace. I went with the RMR brace because it is stronger than the stock one and adds more rigidity as well as clearing the 3 inch JIC dp.
To me, "fits" means it doesn't touch anything and doesn't require any changes to the undercar braces. There are plenty of DPs that don't taper down from 3". The JIC doesn't sound special? Being 3" is pretty normal; some taper down, but not most. I hope the JIC+RMR braces didn't cost more than $150 (Megan price).
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sheesh.

No, the MBC just takes control of boost away from the Boost Control Solenoid. That's it. It sets the boost wherever you want it. A side-effect of this is that it takes the Boost Control Solenoid out of the equation. It's the BCS - by command of the ECU - that FORCES the boost to taper early and down to a much lower level. With the MBC, there is nothing forcing the taper, so the only taper that occurs is the natural taper caused by the turbo running out of breath at high rpm. What we do is RAISE the boost over stock, because we can safely run more boost than stock on pump gas and MUCH higher boost when on race gas or alcohol injection. For instance, I run 21-22psi on 93oct and 24-25psi on race gas (100-116oct).

Dont get anymore mods? I can bolt a test pipe on and get 20 whp. Every turn of the dial will produce more or less boost.. i understand that. I just wanted to know what exactly it did.. i thought thats what this forum was for but i guess i am too much of a novice.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Dude dont take it personal, if you do then you'll never get anything out of a forum. Problem is people ask questions and dont want to hear REAL answers. Have a thick skin.....
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

No, you won't get 20whp from a test pipe.

No, this forum isn't for asking a question about the most basic of all parts on an Evo or any turbo'd car - the MBC. Especially when the answer can be found with even the slightest attempt at searching, but that shouldn't even be required...it's common knowledge...it's like putting in the highest octane at the gas station.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Dude dont take it personal, if you do then you'll never get anything out of a forum. Problem is people ask questions and dont want to hear REAL answers. Have a thick skin.....

Its cool.. all i wanted was the real answer as to what an MBC does. All I did was get ripped for not knowing enough and told to leave my car stock.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said man, just brush it off and have thick skin. The inherant dangers of modding a car and not knowing is extremely high and no one wants to see a car destroyed.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

No, you won't get 20whp from a test pipe.

No, this forum isn't for asking a question about the most basic of all parts on an Evo or any turbo'd car - the MBC. Especially when the answer can be found with even the slightest attempt at searching, but that shouldn't even be required...it's common knowledge...it's like putting in the highest octane at the gas station.
Go to vishnutuning.com and tell me what you see under the test pipe link.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Go to vishnutuning.com and tell me what you see under the test pipe link.

oh hell here we go............
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Why would I need to go there when I have a test pipe myself?

Edit: Nevermind, believe whatever you want to believe. I don't care. I spend enough of my time helping people who actually take my advice and use it to go fast for less. I think you know that, because you invoked my name on the first page.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 1, 2006 at 03:18 PM.