Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me spend some Christmas cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For you Knowing will be 2/3's of the battle!

Originally Posted by ashton13
Does everyone who drives a fast AWD car know what a MBC does? NO. I dont see how a mod, which can blow up your engine, can be so popular.
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does everyone who drives a fast AWD car know what a MBC does? NO. I dont see how a mod, which can blow up your engine, can be so popular.
You gotta be kidding me. AWD has nothing to do with it. Yes, everyone who has a TURBO'D car knows what an MBC is...at least cars that get modded with any regularity (not VW TDIs, although I'm sure some of those owners use them, too).

I don' t know where you get this idea about it blowing up engines so easily. As I said before, the MBC is only as dangerous as the user...and that's why we don't think you should get one.

but what im saying is you didn't even know what it was.... i don't care if you want one or not.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Doesn't rattle on mine or many others. I also didn't have to buy any gaskets or bolts.
My theory on this is that 2005 owners are not having issues if they buy the full TBE from Megan Racing. I know of several people with Megan's TBE on their 2005 and have no fitment issues. However, I know of many more that fitted their downpipe to a different brand test pipe and/or cat-back system. These people seem to have the fitment issues and rattling. There are at least two different versions of Megan Racing downpipes out there.. you can ask any older Megan Racing distributor.

I have access to a lift and took my time on my install and tried many different configurations and diferent methods of bolting my exhaust system up to try and tweak the downpipe from making contact with the transfer case. It actually still hit the transmission with the factory cat and cat-back exhaust system installed. BTW, my Megan Racing downpipe came with a donut gasket and all necessary hardware to bolt it up.

-nixx
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin BluEvo
but what im saying is you didn't even know what it was.... i don't care if you want one or not.

Buddy.. what are you drivng?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nixx
My theory on this is that 2005 owners are not having issues if they buy the full TBE from Megan Racing. I know of several people with Megan's TBE on their 2005 and have no fitment issues. However, I know of many more that fitted their downpipe to a different brand test pipe and/or cat-back system. These people seem to have the fitment issues and rattling. There are at least two different versions of Megan Racing downpipes out there.. you can ask any older Megan Racing distributor.

I have access to a lift and took my time on my install and tried many different configurations and diferent methods of bolting my exhaust system up to try and tweak the downpipe from making contact with the transfer case. It actually still hit the transmission with the factory cat and cat-back exhaust system installed. BTW, my Megan Racing downpipe came with a donut gasket and all necessary hardware to bolt it up.

-nixx

Productive
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Lol are you serious?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I answered your thread title and your thread questions (which are different from one another, btw). I told you how to best spend your money, you won't get 20whp from a test pipe, and adding a test pipe won't require a tune, but a mail-in Dynoflash would be the best way to spend your money.

Just look at my sig and ask yourself if that's fast enough for you. If not, then don't listen to my suggestions.
OMG thank you Warrtalon im sorry it took all this to get my answer.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:06 PM

my daily driver tracer. used to have a built up GSX. getting an evo within a month. oh, and i know how a boost controller works. i have made quite a few.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
Lol are you serious?
Dude.. it does what the name says.. I understand. This doesnt mean everone with a turbo knows the interworkings of it. Damn
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
To the original poster:

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but you need to learn and search before you post and ask questions. When I first decide to get an EVO, I stumbled on this forum and started reading. Everytime I found a term that I did not know, ie, MBC, I searched and read the longest/most recent threads. Sometimes I just do a search and read. Yesterday, for example, I searched about "boost taper" and boy did I learn a lot. I learned that there are different reasons for boost taper, some are easily controlled with an MBC and some can only be removed with a bigger turbo.

My point is, you should rarely ask questions before doing a search. You have no idea how many times we come across a question like "what is the best exhaust" or "what is the quietest exhaust." You clearly should have searched about the MBC beofre posing.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266
To the original poster:

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but you need to learn and search before you post and ask questions. When I first decide to get an EVO, I stumbled on this forum and started reading. Everytime I found a term that I did not know, ie, MBC, I searched and read the longest/most recent threads. Sometimes I just do a search and read. Yesterday, for example, I searched about "boost taper" and boy did I learn a lot. I learned that there are different reasons for boost taper, some are easily controlled with an MBC and some can only be removed with a bigger turbo.

My point is, you should rarely ask questions before doing a search. You have no idea how many times we come across a question like "what is the best exhaust" or "what is the quietest exhaust." You clearly should have searched about the MBC beofre posing.
amen
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Dude.. it does what the name says.. I understand. This doesnt mean everone with a turbo knows the interworkings of it. Damn
Interesting because just 3pages ago or so you were asking what a manual boost controller does? Since when did you ask the "interworkings" of it? You bluntly just flat out couldnt understand what a boost controller did. Heck before i even knew about turbo'd cars, i put 2 + 2 together and realized if a turbo'd car has an amount of boost, and theres this nifty thing called a boost controller, i kinda figured it out. No we dont expect everyone to know that a MBC also helps prevent tapering at redline, and now you know that, but you didnt even know that a MBC controls how much boost your car is running, and that should be common knowledge....
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
To the original poster:

All I wanted was a quick answer from badevo as to what exactly an MBC did. Man did this get out of control.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nixx

-nixx
That is a very good theory. It explains why Warrtalon and another poster did not have a problem while others did. The fact that you got your dp with bolts and gaskets while others did not makes me shy away from Megan since they do not seem to have quality control in the shipment of their products.