Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO9MR vs SRT-8 and Evo9MR vs STI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
WarrTalon, where did you find/see the 12.5 in the 300C?? Is there a time slip?? I still dont believe that a 300C/SRT-8 can do a 12. I know your gonna say ET doen't matter and 108-111 trap speed means it can run 12s, but thats not neccisarly true.
EXAMPLE. An EVO needs to do bout 125mph or more to get a time of 11.5 or less right?? Well, my grandpas '70 Boss 302 did 11.27 @ 117mph. In an EVO, you could never run a 11.2 with only a 117 trap. Trap speeds relating to ETs are different for different cars.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
WarrTalon, where did you find/see the 12.5 in the 300C?? Is there a time slip?? I still dont believe that a 300C/SRT-8 can do a 12. I know your gonna say ET doen't matter and 108-111 trap speed means it can run 12s, but thats not neccisarly true.
EXAMPLE. An EVO needs to do bout 125mph or more to get a time of 11.5 or less right?? Well, my grandpas '70 Boss 302 did 11.27 @ 117mph. In an EVO, you could never run a 11.2 with only a 117 trap. Trap speeds relating to ETs are different for different cars.
Bah, I shouldn't have to explain all this. Just like the thread where you blurted out how Al's flashes had 13.1 AFRs, you are now blurting out about drag racing without any understanding of how things work.

1) I already gave the link to the 7pg thread where a guy hit 12.56@111+. Is that the norm? No. Is is possible...well, yeah, it all depends on driving. Hell, I hit 12.26@110 on a manual transmission, so there's no reason an SRT-8 can't do .3s slower with a good driver who knows how to launch decently.

2) Your grandpa's '70 whatever ran 11.27@117 because of 2 reasons: incredible 60' with slicks (1.4-1.5?) and an automatic tranny most likely.

3) No, it doesn't take 125mph to hit 11.5 in an Evo. Where did you get that? Curt Brown hit 10.9@124. rAcErS just recently hit 11.5@119. I've personally seen Sean Glazar locally hit an 11.59@119.5 , also. A 1.6 60' with good shifting only needs 119-120mph to hit 11.5.

4) Of course trap speeds relate to different ETs for different cars. I never said otherwise. HOWEVER, the problem is you don't understand why that is the case. The reason for this difference comes down to 60' (launching) and shifting (manual vs auto). SRT-8s have trouble launching due to RWD on stock tires. A good driver can overcome this to some degree - the 12.56 guy managed a 1.89, while I'm sure most drivers hit 2.1-2.2s. Since they're automatics, that makes it even easier and more efficient when shifting, so you get good ETs for the mph on average.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI I have hit a 12.56 @108 MPH, fastest I have gone to date in my lil 03 evo.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Bah, I shouldn't have to explain all this. Just like the thread where you blurted out how Al's flashes had 13.1 AFRs, you are now blurting out about drag racing without any understanding of how things work.

1) I already gave the link to the 7pg thread where a guy hit 12.56@111+. Is that the norm? No. Is is possible...well, yeah, it all depends on driving. Hell, I hit 12.26@110 on a manual transmission, so there's no reason an SRT-8 can't do .3s slower with a good driver who knows how to launch decently.
I looked but didn't find the any link in any of your post. Even, if the guy did a 12.5, it doesn't mean SRT-8 DO 12.5s. If a handful of people do 12.5 then the SRT-8 DOES 12.5. Everything I've read (real people & magazines (I know you don't like maazine times but those time are still times)), SRT-8s do low-mid 13s.

2) Your grandpa's '70 whatever ran 11.27@117 because of 2 reasons: incredible 60' with slicks (1.4-1.5?) and an automatic tranny most likely.
Your right

3) No, it doesn't take 125mph to hit 11.5 in an Evo. Where did you get that? Curt Brown hit 10.9@124. rAcErS just recently hit 11.5@119. I've personally seen Sean Glazar locally hit an 11.59@119.5 , also. A 1.6 60' with good shifting only needs 119-120mph to hit 11.5.
I looked on the EVOM. registry, the 11.99 or quicker list, and on drag times.com, most people have a trap of 122-125 when running quicker then 11.50. Some people may do 11.5s @ 119-120, but a majority do 122-125. FROM what I've read at those three sources

4) Of course trap speeds relate to different ETs for different cars. I never said otherwise. HOWEVER, the problem is you don't understand why that is the case. The reason for this difference comes down to 60' (launching) and shifting (manual vs auto). SRT-8s have trouble launching due to RWD on stock tires. A good driver can overcome this to some degree - the 12.56 guy managed a 1.89, while I'm sure most drivers hit 2.1-2.2s. Since they're automatics, that makes it even easier and more efficient when shifting, so you get good ETs for the mph on average.
OK, I never said you said that. It seemed like you were relating the SRT-8 trap to EVO ETs.

I never try to e-fight with you but you seem to have it out for me. I was just posting some other data bout the topic and never attacked you, but you had to attack me. All I was trying to do was have a friendly coversation bout the topic. The thing bout Al was a misunderstanding and I said I was wrong and deleted the post that I had made, so get over it.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jan 2, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

the problem is you are taking examples of poor driving and stating those as the standard. I am taking what the cars are CAPABLE OF, which means a good driver with a good launch and good shifting in good conditions, and using THAT as the standard for what an Evo CAN and SHOULD do.

Same with the SRT8. i don't care that most people do low 13s. Have you ever been to an Evo vs WRX shootout? It's like a 14s and 15s convention of Evos/WRXs/STis. It's embarrasing to be frank. It wasn't just the Subies...there were Evos running 14s and 15s, too. Do I take that and use it as my example of what Evos "do"? No. I take what can be duplicated by any Evo with any driver given the proper conditions within reason.

There is and was no "attacking." You just keep trying to refute things with no knowledge whatsoever. You went to that "dragtimes" website and used an example of _3_ SRT8s. 3!!!!!! You made it sound like those were the end-all results to be used for the entire country. That was ridiculous. Then, you grab Evo ETs out of the registry and look only at the mph, but don't look at the rest of the details. If an Evo is trapping 122-125 and not hitting close to 10, it means they 1) can't launch or 2) can't shift well enough to keep boost built between gears. As I said, with a 1.6x 60' and good shifting, the Evo can and should hit 11.5-11.6. That's just how it is...
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

the problem is you are taking examples of poor driving and stating those as the standard. I am taking what the cars are CAPABLE OF, which means a good driver with a good launch and good shifting in good conditions, and using THAT as the standard for what an Evo CAN and SHOULD do.

Same with the SRT8. i don't care that most people do low 13s. Have you ever been to an Evo vs WRX shootout? It's like a 14s and 15s convention of Evos/WRXs/STis. It's embarrasing to be frank. It wasn't just the Subies...there were Evos running 14s and 15s, too. Do I take that and use it as my example of what Evos "do"? No. I take what can be duplicated by any Evo with any driver given the proper conditions within reason.

There is and was no "attacking." You just keep trying to refute things with no knowledge whatsoever. You went to that "dragtimes" website and used an example of _3_ SRT8s. 3!!!!!! You made it sound like those were the end-all results to be used for the entire country. That was ridiculous. Then, you grab Evo ETs out of the registry and look only at the mph, but don't look at the rest of the details. If an Evo is trapping 122-125 and not hitting close to 10, it means they 1) can't launch or 2) can't shift well enough to keep boost built between gears. As I said, with a 1.6x 60' and good shifting, the Evo can and should hit 11.5-11.6. That's just how it is...

1) I wasn't using the worst times and saying that is what the car can "do". Like I said in my other post, if 1 guy does a 12.5 one time in the SRT-8, that doen't mean its CAPABLE of always doing that. Just like you said, the time a car can do is the time it does with a good launch and good shifting, but not the time it does once and may not be able to dublicate by other skilled owners of the same car.

2) I have checked about 4-5 reviews (couple of mags/ couple online) and looked at dragtimes.com (which is a pretty big database of drag times, even if it only has 3 SRT-8s and your time isn't there). I also googled the topic at hand. So I'm not basing my info/opinion on one website with 3 SRT-8 and deffinently not saying there end-all results.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jan 2, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:22 PM
Account Disabled

And that's the way it is here at Evo M. I thank you all for joining us, good night to you all out there in Evo Land..........
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

i dont trust those magazines. I think they have God behind the wheel 90% of the time.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

hi guys. care to take a chill pill? IMO this thread has gone to crap from a wonderful beginning. i'd really love to read the r&t article, gots to find one before they run out. thanks to the OP
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Again, all you are listing are ETs. The only thing that matters is MPH. Cobras trap higher than 111mph in stock form. I don't care what the best ET is that you've seen or heard of, because it's the trap speed that matters. A 111mph trap can hit a 12.5 with a good launch. That's how it is. What you should be arguing is that an SRT-8 can't trap 111. I agree that most won't, but 109mph doesn't seem to be that rare, and with great conditions, 111 happened. The person who hit this 12.56 had nothing to do with the test. It was just some guy on the 300C forums.
And like I was saying, mph can be affected by DA, whether, factory freak etc. Cobras usually trap 109-112 in stock form. The bottom line is, don't judge a car by what one person runs at one track with one driver. Your best bet would be looking at the majority and in this case 99.9% of 300c's DO NOT run 12.5. Thus, it wouldn't be entirely accurate(percentage wise) to say the car in the first post ran 12.5 when only one car has done so. We don't even know what the MPH was. I think this is why people are skepticle of the car being stock, and bringing up the fastest 300 know to man doesn't help. I know that the person in the magazine wasn't the one running 12.56.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Since E.Haskell is listing HP/weight, I thought it would be interesting to note that the SRT8 has a better weight/HP ratio than the IX MR...

srt8 4160lbs/425hp = 9.7lb/hp
Evo 3285lbs/286hp = 11.4lb/hp
One thing you fail to realize is that the Evo has AWD. With a rwd car on street tires, the 60' is going to be limited.

On a side note. 98-02 LS1 fbody 3400lbs/310rwhp= 10.96 lb/rwhp
300c srt8 4160lb/360rwhp= 11.55 lb/rwhp

Just going by the numbers, we must conclude that the fbody can also run 12.5 or better, stock----if given the same conditions.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freddiet
when did f-bodys 01 and 02 ever have 300-310 whp. Am i missing something. I never knew that that was possible they must have no drivetrain loss at all.... I guess
under rated from the factory.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

F-Bodies were heavier then that....certainly more then 3400.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
And like I was saying, mph can be affected by DA, whether, factory freak etc. Cobras usually trap 109-112 in stock form. The bottom line is, don't judge a car by what one person runs at one track with one driver. Your best bet would be looking at the majority and in this case 99.9% of 300c's DO NOT run 12.5. Thus, it wouldn't be entirely accurate(percentage wise) to say the car in the first post ran 12.5 when only one car has done so. We don't even know what the MPH was. I think this is why people are skepticle of the car being stock, and bringing up the fastest 300 know to man doesn't help. I know that the person in the magazine wasn't the one running 12.56.
I simply showed what they are CAPABLE of running. That's all that matters. The magazine article never said that THEY ran 12.5 (or 11.5). Who knows what they were really trying to say when they listed 11.5. I was simply saying that if they were going to use 12.7 as the baseline for an EVO IX (definitely possible with only a 1.7x 60'), then they probably meant to use 12.5 for the SRT-8, since it can trap 111 as opposed to 107 on the Evo. 4mph and only .2s quick can be attributed to the difference in traction. As I showed, the SRT-8 that hit 12.56 did so with a 1.89 60'. That's like a stock IX doing a low 1.7 60, which again is very possible although most people are unable to drive that well, but not because it's hard to do.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 03:46 PM

what part are you guys not understanding? the 11.5 and 12.7 are the 0-100 times. Road and track owns speed magazine and speed magazine got their times from when road and track tested the cars in the sports and gt cars 2006 issue, evo vs sti and srt-8 vs gto. speed magazine mistakingly used the 0-100 times for the 1/4 mile times.

Quick Reply: EVO9MR vs SRT-8 and Evo9MR vs STI