Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

True HP of ix?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True HP of ix?

Buschur is getting 209 on a Mustang dyno which seems about right considering the WHP. But I've read up to 280 on Dynojets. Which is correct?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TForan
Buschur is getting 209 on a Mustang dyno which seems about right considering the WHP. But I've read up to 280 on Dynojets. Which is correct?
Both are correct. Dynojets read higher than Mustang Dynos. The best thing to do is pick one particular dyno to do all your pulls on. This way you can compare your results from mods and not have any variables in them. A dyno should only be used as a tuning tool and to keep track of progress thruout different mods. The best basis for how much horsepower you are making is the track and your trap speed.

There is a thread created by Dave Buschur documenting the same car, same day on 2 different dynos. Make your own conclusions from that.

Girlie
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur reads very low, so 205-215WHP seems about right. In one thread a stock IX dynoed 281WHP at Switzer and 218WHP at Buschur. None it really matters, because the gains that the cars make on each particular dyno is what matters the most. I can tell you that although these IXs may have dynoed 205-215WHP at Buschur, with the BR330 Package (Base Line 210WHP/208WTQ) , which is basically a (Power Mods)-

Flash
Catback Exhaust
Downpipe
Air Filter

A IX made 271WHP/266WTQ on Buschur's Dyno and that is very impressive! That's between 340-350WHP on Switzer's Dyno with just those mods.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:22 AM

The truth always matters. I don't think that Mitsu is grossly under rating the HP. I was just suprised when I read the inflated figures. Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Truth??? Are you saying that 200-215WHP is the true indication of the EVO IXs power, sorry I'd said it before, if other Dynos can be accused of reading high, then Buschur's dyno can be labled as reading to low. You do realize that a car that makes around 360WHP on Buschur's Dyno, can run very low 11s, possible 10s. 360WHP=10s, that's a true indication of power? Like I said it doesn't matter, just what the gains are.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

The truth always matters. I don't think that Mitsu is grossly under rating the HP. I was just suprised when I read the inflated figures. Thanks!
Honestly with so many different dynos out there with so many different numbers being piped out nobody can honestly tell you how much the IX is really making. But running 12s@105-107MPH with only 286HP/289TQ on a nearly 3300Lbs AWD vehicle is a pipe dream, I assure you the EVO IX is underrated, by how much

I mean is it really out of the realm of possiblity, how many cars have been underrated, just off the top of my head, SRT-4, Camaro SS, Cobra, Charger SRT-8, sh*t even the Lexus IS350 may be underrated.

Last edited by 3000ways; Jan 2, 2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Girlie
Both are correct. Dynojets read higher than Mustang Dynos.
Girlie
This statement cannot be true. 1+1 cannot equal 2 AND 3.

It's true that you should tune on the same dyno, to have real results between mods, but it makes no sense that a car will show x HP on one dyno and z HP on another. Especially if you show uncorrected HP numbers.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY true way to test a car's HP numbers, is to run down the 1/4 mile. Take the exact vehicle weight, & the MPH, & that tells you what HP it took to run that speed.

Also, if it takes a certain amount of HP to spin the dyno drum from 75 to 120 mph, then that is something that can be calculated.. Why the difference between dynos? Even if it has a different weight drum, it still takes a simple math problem to determine how much power it takes to spin it faster, right?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Honestly with so many different dynos out there with so many different numbers being piped out nobody can honestly tell you how much the IX is really making. But running 12s@105-107MPH with only 286HP/289TQ on a nearly 3300Lbs AWD vehicle is a pipe dream, I assure you the EVO IX is underrated, by how much
So,the stock IX are in the 12s? Don't get me wrong,I'm just an interested reader but I do have my eye on a 06 RS!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

So,the stock IX are in the 12s? Don't get me wrong,I'm just an interested reader but I do have my eye on a 06 RS!
Some are, just like any car it is dependent on the driving abilities of the driver. Not all IXs will run 12s, but do they have the potential to run 12s stock, yes, because some have already.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by talon2evo
This statement cannot be true. 1+1 cannot equal 2 AND 3.

It's true that you should tune on the same dyno, to have real results between mods, but it makes no sense that a car will show x HP on one dyno and z HP on another. Especially if you show uncorrected HP numbers.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY true way to test a car's HP numbers, is to run down the 1/4 mile. Take the exact vehicle weight, & the MPH, & that tells you what HP it took to run that speed.

Also, if it takes a certain amount of HP to spin the dyno drum from 75 to 120 mph, then that is something that can be calculated.. Why the difference between dynos? Even if it has a different weight drum, it still takes a simple math problem to determine how much power it takes to spin it faster, right?
Well, sorry, but it IS true. Mustang Dynos read completely different from Dynojets which read completely different from DynoDynamics and Dynapacks. They all have different methods of recording and measuring the torque, which is then what is calculated into that mythical hp number.

Yes, the IX's power is way underrated. Dynojets are the industry standard for comparison, and they are showing 270-275 on Dynojets - only 11-16 less than published.

Yes, IXs are hitting 12s stock and that's with average driving on bad launches. There are at least two IXs in the Drag Racing forum who ran 12.9 stock with only high 1.8 and 1.9 60's, which are good for people just getting started on their new car, but suck in comparison to good driving. A 1.75 60' would net a 12.7 1/4-mile in stock form pretty easily, since they are trapping ~107mph.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the IX's power is way underrated. Dynojets are the industry standard for comparison, and they are showing 270-275 on Dynojets - only 11-16 less than published.
They published Brake Horsepower though....So I would say they're under rated.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
They published Brake Horsepower though....So I would say they're under rated.
I know; I said it's WAY underrated.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I know; I said it's WAY underrated.
It would have to be if they're in the 12s. Pretty amazing!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

It would have to be if they're in the 12s. Pretty amazing!
05s could run 12s and were underrated, too, but not as bad as the IXs.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Girlie
There is a thread created by Dave Buschur documenting the same car, same day on 2 different dynos. Make your own conclusions from that.

Girlie
Do you happen to have a link to that thread? Should be a great read.

Quick Reply: True HP of ix?