Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aftermarket oil filter NO NO! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hashiriya
I use the same filter and have had no troubles with it. My car is dropped almost 2 inches as well.

I thought the K&N 1008 was just a bit smaller than OEM though.
The K&N IS ever so slightly narrower than the OEM filter, but it seals perfectly fine on the OEM filter block, the thread pitch is the same, and the height is the same as the OEM filter. The sealing surface on the OEM filter block is pretty wide to accomodate a narrower filter.

I don't like the idea of using block adapters for sensors anyway, particularly given that the OEM filter block already has two integrated ports for sensors. The thread pitches of the ports are not right for most temp. and pressure sensors that are included with the corresponding gauges, but NPT-type adapters are easily sourced to forgo using a block adapter that lowers the height of the filter.

No one can make the argument that all aftermarket oil filters are bad when there were other extenuating circumstances (lowered height due to filter block adapter and potential collision with something) and that many people use aftermarket filters with great success.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow the dealership propaganda Mitsu used to offer the proper filter for the Evo here in the states but then as they began seeing themselves slip away into the path bankruptcy they have ultimately brought upon themselves they decided to consolidate all variations of their oil filters into two models. One for larger displacement engines and one for smaller. Go run a stock filter for 3000 miles and then run an Amsoil filter for the same. Cut both of them open and judge for yourself. We aren't dealing with GM quality factory parts here. Take a look at the grade of bolts mitsu offers as their factory stuff, I jump at the chance to replace any I can with stainless or grade 8

edit: Isn't their a bolt in the oil filter housing that can be removed and it's corresponding hole used for an oil pressure sensor instead of having to go the route of a sandwich adaptor?

Last edited by mitsuorder; Jan 2, 2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

That fram tough guard filter is a pretty good filter. I used it and it was better than mitsu OEM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch, I better look at my filter. I've been running OEM filters but recently put that greddy sandwich adaptor on .
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

The longer filters, like the one pureolator suggests sit too far down for a car like the evo.
Im not suprised this happened at all because when I changed my oil last week I was pretty disapointed in the filter sitting so low and thought to myself wtf happens if something hits it.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Someone has found a shorter filter that works great and is almost oem.

If anyone knows could they post it so I can write it down.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

mobil1, bosch and k&n. all short like the mitsu.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
be careful with filters for the Evo. Fram, Wix, and the other not so credible companies list the same filter for the regular Lancer and Evo, and they will fit. Like the previous guy said, K&N, Bosch, and Mobil1 lists a different filter for the Evo. The main differences? height and width of filter. Another note worthy tidbit is that manufacturers use a smaller filter for higher oil pressures. I'm pretty sure the Evo requires more pressure than the regular Lancer.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old Mitsu MD filters were much better than the current MZ. Someone on here cut them open to compare.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Again, this is not to bad mouth a product....just to make you aware of the potential problem of longer filters and sandwich adapters.

And yes the car is lowered about 1.5"

It is fairly easy to replace the oil filter adapter that bolts to the oil pump. the hardest part is removing the plastic t-belt cover to get to the final bolt/

and yes there are two provision for adding pressure or temp gauges on the factory housing............I was actually already using one for pressure.

part cost $75.00 and .99 for the gasket.

Mattj
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

I was wordering how you guys know which filter performs better than the other. I use OEM and it costs less than after market ones. Try these people http://www.mitsupartsdirect.com. If you buy 3 or more you get 30% off. It only costs me like $5.00 a filter.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People that drive to the dealer and use factory oil filters crack me up. I'm sorry, I know your heart is in the right place but there are some decent filters at your local autozone.

I normally put K&N filters on mine, and Mobil 1, 30 bucks total normally.

Seriously though, do you run to the mitsu dealer for brake fluid and anti-freeze too?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 05:35 AM

a sandwich adapter is used to lower the filter...it's basically like an extension of the block..

they supposedly help the engine warm up faster. it is also used to allow installation of an oil cooler without relocation of the oil filter.

Last edited by itsmeek; Jan 3, 2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

The K&N part number HP1008 retails for just over $16 at my local parts store and works perfectly fine.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it really works, and it works well.

Yes, it's a very little bit narrower than the OEM, but for those of you worried about it, you shouldn't be. The width of the sealing surface for the OEM filter block is wide enough that it will still offer a perfect sealing surface to a slightly narrower filter, which the K&N is.

I can't comment on it's filtering capability compared to an OEM filter nor to other aftermarket filters as I've never compared them, nor do I have the technical expertise nor equipment to do so, but I've never heard one bad thing about K&N oil filters, ever.