Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5th gear RPM???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear RPM???

Is this the same with all EVO's or just mine; I am not able to use 5th gear at anything lower the 2k RPM which is around 42 MPH. If I do try to drive around town the engine feels like its getting lugged down and shakes. I don't know if its because it an overdrive gear or what?

Every other gear is fine down to like 1.5k RPM but not fifth for some reason... does anyone else have the same experience??
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
yea man thats the way it is. somone on here can probably tell you exactly why using the gear ratios but there all like that. Then again most cars are like that
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think my car was like this when I bought it though, but that was over a year and 54k miles ago so its hard to remember in detail. I do however have another car which is a 6 speed and that has 2 overdrive gears. In that car I can drive around in 6th gear which is a .80 at 1200 RPM and not bog the engine down. Other cars I've owned like my mustang and my 91 GTI 16v I was able to cruise around at 35MPH in 5th gear with no problems.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

this is a 2.0 4 cylinder. It has practically zero torque below boost. so, in 5th at 40 mph, yeah it may seem it's luggin. not to mention the compression is low on the 4G63 also.

I use 4th alot cruisin about 40-50 mph, anything above that I usually drop her in 5th. At 40 mph in 4th gear i'm at 2.5k rpm, 5th drops it down to 2k.

Last edited by DahakaJR; Jan 2, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

omg man how long have you had your evo and you know what im not even going to get into why this is bad for your car. before someone else rips on you just think about it 40mph is 4th gear omg this is why later your going to be asking why did my transfer case go out and my my clutch is sliping.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

^^ OMG OMG OMG Chandler
Old Jan 3, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by P_A_STREET_EVO8
omg man how long have you had your evo and you know what im not even going to get into why this is bad for your car. before someone else rips on you just think about it 40mph is 4th gear omg this is why later your going to be asking why did my transfer case go out and my my clutch is sliping.
I don't see how any of what you just posted has anything to do with the topic I posted. Please explain in english for me...
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's bad for the main bearings/TC to put it in a high gear at low rpm with WOT. If you're cruisng at 40 and have the rpms around 2k its normal/fine. But say you just put the pedal to the floor, same gear, same rpm, thats bad... Downshift to accelerate.

5th gear, 1.5k rpm cruising is the lowest you should go IMO. Any lower and you should downshift.

It's bogging/shaking because you're asking the engine to do too much work out of its optimal powerband. And you will slowly kill your main bearings/ TC.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07
It's bad for the main bearings/TC to put it in a high gear at low rpm with WOT. If you're cruisng at 40 and have the rpms around 2k its normal/fine. But say you just put the pedal to the floor, same gear, same rpm, thats bad... Downshift to accelerate.

5th gear, 1.5k rpm cruising is the lowest you should go IMO. Any lower and you should downshift.

It's bogging/shaking because you're asking the engine to do too much work out of its optimal powerband. And you will slowly kill your main bearings/ TC.
hold on... when did I EVER say that I go WOT in 5th gear at such a low RPM?? I'm talking about crusing around town using 10-20% throttle here.

Even in 5th gear at 2,000 rpm I still get vibrations like the motor is lugging down with any kind of throttle input, this is just 5th gear though not 1st-4th. again I am talking about CRUISING around town with VERY LIGHT THROTTLE.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

what are the main bearings and why would that destroy them?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Is this the same with all EVO's or just mine; I am not able to use 5th gear at anything lower the 2k RPM which is around 42 MPH. If I do try to drive around town the engine feels like its getting lugged down and shakes. I don't know if its because it an overdrive gear or what?

Every other gear is fine down to like 1.5k RPM but not fifth for some reason... does anyone else have the same experience??
the EVO like all 2.0l turbo engines is totally gutless below 2800rpm.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
erm, yeah. You buy an evo, then drive it like a granny.

Just keep the revs up, if you ever go aftermarket for an ecu (utec here), and you try to get on it in low revs, in a high gear, knock city. It's just not made to do it, downshift, and accelerate. What do you do when you need to slow down to 30, due to traffic? Do you drop into 4th, or do you drop lower?

again, you're grannying the car, and contrary to your username, down that low, you'll NEVER be in boost.

edit: also, are you runnin the a/c when you're doin this? a/c > 4 bangers
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
erm, yeah. You buy an evo, then drive it like a granny.

Just keep the revs up, if you ever go aftermarket for an ecu (utec here), and you try to get on it in low revs, in a high gear, knock city. It's just not made to do it, downshift, and accelerate. What do you do when you need to slow down to 30, due to traffic? Do you drop into 4th, or do you drop lower?

again, you're grannying the car, and contrary to your username, down that low, you'll NEVER be in boost.

edit: also, are you runnin the a/c when you're doin this? a/c > 4 bangers
I wouldn't call driving normal granning the car. just because you drive an EVO doesn't mean you have to be @ WOT all the time. Besides that fact that this is my daily driver, its also the slowest car I own so I don't feel the need to beat on it. BTW my user name refers to the fact that all the cars I own have boost.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I believe 40-45 is about the slowest you can go in 5th without bogging. I have crused around at like 45 in 5th many times....just crusing not haulin.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Check owners manual for lowest speeds to travel in each gear. My IX says 45mph in 5th is lowest but says you can go a little lower with little to no acceleration.

Quick Reply: 5th gear RPM???