Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blowing apart the stock gauge cluster...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blowing apart the stock gauge cluster...

Has anyone taken apart an EVO cluster completely? Does anyone have diagrams or written instructions on how to do this? I've seen threads showing how to change bulb colors but I'd like to know if you can remove the tach, speedo, lancer logo, fuel, and temp gauges from the bezel. Thanks!

Ed
Old Jan 4, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

I believe you can remove the gauge face overlays from the cluster as people sell gauge face plate overlays. Im not sure the result would be pretty however as these overlays are glued on. Once removed, good luck getting them on again. Id love to swap out the black faces for some nicer black and blue gauges, something easier to read and something that looks better at night. Not the ebay white face gauges though
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Getting the cluster out is easy, but removing the stock gauge face overlays is not - as you have to remove the needles in order to get at them.

What's wrong with the eBay white overlay? It does not have to be glued on (though a light coat of spray-on adhesive helps), goes right over the stock gauge faces, and, if you wire it right (i.e. not according to the instructions), they look good in the day (read: no EL lighting) and at night (bright as-hell EL lighting).

l8r)
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:12 PM

It's not so much I want to remove the tach/speedo, but I want to remove the "Lancer" gauge. Can it be done?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure it can. Anything can be done if you have the right tools to do it. I've found that a dremal can take care of alot Evo projects
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:19 PM
Account Disabled

Lol, dremel and gauge clusters don't sound like they belong in the same sentence.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:58 AM

The "lancer" gauge is actually pretty easy to remove. After you get the cluster out, just un-snap the clear lens and black mask (part that surrounds the gauges) from the white case. Under that will be each of the gauges and since the lancer overlay doesn't have a pointer it will come off by just peeling it, since it does have some adhesive on the back side.
The problem is that this overlay also has some warning telltales also such as intercooler, blah blah I can't remember the other few.
If you have a replacement overlay with the telltales but without "lancer" it would be easy and perfect to replace.
I can't stand to see "Lancer" in my cluster either. What I did was remove the overlay and mask it off on the back with black tape so that at least I don't have to look at it in the night time
Old Jan 6, 2006, 01:56 AM
Account Disabled

How much depth is behind the lancer gauge? Can you totally remove it so that its just a big hole there?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

I hate that Lancer portion too, I wish they would've put a boost gauge in its place.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:10 AM

The lancer gauge overlay (that's the plastic sheet that has the printing on it) also has on ith the telltales for intercooler sprayer and a few others, so if you just remove it you are also removing those telltales that you want.
If you were to just remove it or cut out just the lancer text then you would be left with a hole where you would see back into some ugly white plastic and direct light from the bulbs looking really bad.
What I would love is for someone to sell just the lancer gauge overlay by itself so we can just get rid of that part easily and cheaply without buying and replacing ALL the gauge overlays <-- suppliers listening?