Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Parts from Japan worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JDM Carbon fiber stickers = dope
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
are jdm parts worth it.... only the full out race parts. things like bovs... could care less.

companies like hks have rules, they do not make any parts that don't fit, so you're not getting the most hardcore part that you could. in this case buschur does make a better part for half the price.

things like intercoolers, there are very few intercoolers better than the arc unit. it's built wtih fantastic quality, it's built from technology developed for turbo charged small displacement cars and their fin design and structure is very good all the while being lighter than any bar and plate design that is available from manufacturers in america.

there are many parts not readily available to america, many are from small shops, mcr, bozz, etc, these places make lots of titanium custom parts that could be "priceless" if weight savings is what you're looking for.

also gadgetry, lots of the defi stuff isn't so readily available to us in america, mainly the dash replacements and the gauge hoods etc, so if that's what you want then you can get those.

in all honesty there are very few things that you can only get in japan and not here. the price you end up getting over there directly will still be marked up, japan is not giving anything away, the savings in minimal especialy when you consider how the hell you're gonna get a downpipe back to the states or an intercooler, or even a big stack of electronics.

i say go there and buy all the videos and magazines that you can't read and buy them to look at the pretty pictures. then scan them all and put them up so we can look too.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syed dont say you take care of your car better than everyone at your school. your always talking **** about the other people around you who own evos. you should just shut your mouth and learn how to drive you burnt out your clutch fast as hell
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

^ i take it you go to school with him?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for trinydex. All in all, just because parts are made in Japan, does not mean they are better. BUT there are some parts that are much more easily obtainable when you're in Japan - at least there's no shipping time and you might even get to see the parts before buying them.

Some things I would suggest, depending on your carrying capacity:
1)ARC intercooler.
2)Project Mu pads (TItan HC+ or Max900)
3)Ralliart Coilovers (height adjustable, Bilstein)
4)Tomei stuff - poncams, procams, O2 housing, downpipe, pistons and all sorts
5)Jun stuff - cam kits, exh mani, O2 housing, engine parts, much the same variety as Tomei
6)Bride seats - the Gias ones are very cool
7)GruppeM - CF Ram air intake kit http://www.gruppem.co.jp/application...itsubishi.html very nice
8)Hyper Rev magazine, Vol.95 has a very very large number of evo parts + pics in it. You won't understand a single word, but it's worth it.

There are a few more bits made by people like HKS Kansai, Toda etc. which are also worth a look.

Now, you can get cams in the US which I hear are very good (I'll be getting the Revolver myself eventually) and the same applies to many other parts. However, as far as i've experienced, the Mu's are the best pads out there and the ARC I/C I've heard nothing but praises for. The Ralliart Coilovers will be a perfect fit and from the quality of the oem MR ones, these should be pretty good and come with urethane upper mounts, not annoying pillowball joint ones.
Bride seats are the only ones I know of that are CF and inclinable apart form the ones in my S203 and those sold by Recaro Japan. The Gruppe M Ram air system is very unique. I had a kit for my DC5 but it didn't fit so well, hope it's better with the evo.
Finally, the HyperRev mag. is essential if you're interested in JDM stuff.

Since Fujitsubo and many other exhausts are 1-piece designs, I doubt you'll be able to get them on the plane.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, they're worth it when you live at home, have an Evo at 16 thanks to dad and are given $5000 by your dad simply for putting your Evo in storage for the Winter. Yeah, definitely get as many JDM parts as you can while there...

Bitter much? Instead of a personal attack perhaps something constructive?

Many of the JDM parts are of a higher quality and they do have more experience with these cars, as do the Aussies (APS, AVO).
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Uh......Matt, why you so pissed, I wasn't referring to you.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Just sucks for the people that work there *** off to pay for their cars and mods
Boohoo man. I am 17 and pay for every cent towards my car. My friends on the other hand are handed cars such as the elise, STi, m3, and whatnot. I don't go home every day and tear my hair out and cry myself to sleep. That's life, some people will always have it easier. It doesn't mean you have to get yourself in their business. Oh, and if you read and actually paid attention in previous threads, he actually pays for at least part of his car. Don't judge if you don't know anything about the kid.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

do your homework on JDM parts. some can be faulty.... meaning it doesnt last long or it'll rust. just look up the info other than that its all good
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:56 PM

well i thought you were cause you said two other evos and there is only me and bryan thats wat i thought thats why i was soo pissed w.e my bad
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

LOL this guys funny.... I'm 19 myself..... gotta love the young evo drivers. LOL your mom won't let you date. hahaha
Old Jan 6, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sxhawnn
LOL this guys funny.... I'm 19 myself..... gotta love the young evo drivers. LOL your mom won't let you date. hahaha
It's a religious thing dude, look at his name. Nothing to laugh about.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bby evo
syed dont say you take care of your car better than everyone at your school. your always talking **** about the other people around you who own evos. you should just shut your mouth and learn how to drive you burnt out your clutch fast as hell
, that came out of left field. If what you say is true Muslimfreak is living under a fake persona.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Ok I don't take into offense that some of you guys don't believe me. The only reason why my dad would buy a skyline is because my uncle that works for NTN in Japan lives there and we could put it into his garage. I am not a big mouth, I was just asking if the parts were worth getting from there because of the fact that they would be cheaper and/or better. Just because I am 16 doesn't give you the right to criticize me. There are 2 other evos at my school and BOTH OF THEM HAVE SOME KIND OF DENT OR SCRATCH ON THEM!!! My evo on the other hand is well kept. Like I also said a while ago, I also got the evo because my dad wanted to get one AND my dad has driven skylines before because he came from Pakistan. I hate it how u people talk **** about people you don't even ****ing know!!!
ok I'll see if this kid is serious or not. When your dad gets the Skyline I want a ride. I'm in Kyoto. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggy
ok I'll see if this kid is serious or not. When your dad gets the Skyline I want a ride. I'm in Kyoto. Thanks!
I am serious............name, address?