Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Parts from Japan worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Parts from Japan worth it?

Hey guys wats up? I wanted to know if JDM parts are better than USDM parts.... I am going to Japan soon with me dad for a business trip and was going to buy parts there for my evo. I have $5,000 to spend and my dad said that he might buy a skyline there!!! I'll bring back pictures and videos hopefull for all of you to see.

Thanx for your comments,

Syed Ahmed
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah....pics defffinately!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think they are necessarily better but, more desirable to the JDM crowd because of the relative rarity of them.

You could definitely do more with your money with domestic parts. The exchange rate is not on your side for JDM parts.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, they're worth it when you live at home, have an Evo at 16 thanks to dad and are given $5000 by your dad simply for putting your Evo in storage for the Winter. Yeah, definitely get as many JDM parts as you can while there...
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I don't think they are necessarily better but, more desirable to the JDM crowd because of the relative rarity of them.
Ya, it's just the rarity of the parts if you don't live in Japan. For one reason or another, people who likes to put JDM parts thinks that their vehicle will become a JDM car. My .02 cents.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

JDM Sounds great , have fun spending that hard earned 5G's
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

jdm is nice and cheaper to buy, of course, in japan
so get as much jdm as your 5k will go
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

What the hell could you possibly get for 5g's in japan that you couldnt get over here for half the price? Waste of your (your dads?) money.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

BR makes better parts for half the price. My .03
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

i think this kid is full of ****
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

big mouth 16 year old, always bragging about stuff and talking out of his ***....quote me on this...if your dad buys a skyline and brings it here i'll give you 1000$ cash
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, they're worth it when you live at home, have an Evo at 16 thanks to dad and are given $5000 by your dad simply for putting your Evo in storage for the Winter. Yeah, definitely get as many JDM parts as you can while there...
to Warr: Why? Why? Why? You usually provide good answers with a harsh delivery but why punish him for being a well kept son?

JDM IS better!!!. There are many reasons why but the main one is logical. The Japanese have had the evo for almost 11 years now. Their parts have been tested and improved over time. Ask all your friends, or do as much research as you can, but I guarantee that you won't gather much info (or parts) for evos 1-7 in the usa, but if you go to Japan.......

Some will say you are talking about the 8 or 9 but same answer. The Japanese are as much fanatics of these cars as anywhere else in the World and they get to choose them first. The main players in the aftermarket parts business are based in Japan and many of the parts available in the usa are imported from Japan.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

give this boy a break...obviously, he's 16-17yrs old and still in his learning process...I'm sure everyone went through that stage...

As for your question.....
The parts can be better or worse. Go with whatever you feel like spending. I'm assuming you live in Lake in the Hills, IL? If so, just hop on over to AMS and pick up some goodies...that way, you won't get charged on oversized items(exhaust/etc)...

Last edited by djskyy; Jan 4, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

i think this kid is full of ****
yup, I don't buy it too.

But I guess you can get some JDM air freshner, cellphone holder, LED lights~ Now they do make those a lot better and prettier than the US. Unless you want to pay for a huge amount of shipping fee or over-weight luggage fee, spend ur dad's money wisely.

Whats ur dad gonna do with a skyline in US? track it? show it? it's certainly not street legal in your state.

Im not hating, I envy you having 5Gs to blow on your Evo.
I've only spend 1000 on my 03 Evo and it's running high 12s.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok I don't take into offense that some of you guys don't believe me. The only reason why my dad would buy a skyline is because my uncle that works for NTN in Japan lives there and we could put it into his garage. I am not a big mouth, I was just asking if the parts were worth getting from there because of the fact that they would be cheaper and/or better. Just because I am 16 doesn't give you the right to criticize me. There are 2 other evos at my school and BOTH OF THEM HAVE SOME KIND OF DENT OR SCRATCH ON THEM!!! My evo on the other hand is well kept. Like I also said a while ago, I also got the evo because my dad wanted to get one AND my dad has driven skylines before because he came from Pakistan. I hate it how u people talk **** about people you don't even ****ing know!!!