Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What are some plans for evo 9 front bumper owners when getting an aftermarket FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are some plans for evo 9 front bumper owners when getting an aftermarket FMIC?

fromWRXtoEVO made a good point in another thread that will probably never be seen, so heres his post ....

[QUOTE=fromWRXtoEVO]Yes,terday I made a interesting observation, the Evo8 has a much larger opening for the intercooler on the front bumper than the Evo 9.

If you have the chance to see it the Evo 8 has two pillars on the bumper, one on each side of the intercooler, this pillars are maybe a couple of inches wide while on the Evo 9 they are at least 5-6" wide.

If you upgrade your intercooler on your Evo9 to a big intercooler like the Buschur Race, Perrin or Nisei you are not getting the same cooling efect as on the Evo8.
Please, take your time to find a pic of both Evo 8 and Evo9 and you see exactly what I am talking about.

There is no arguing here, the pint is very clear, the Evo 9 has a smaller cooling window on the bumper which directly blocks the airflow.

This is from my own cars(observe the gap):

http://www.azlancers.net/modules/xcg...0071&pos=-1029 [QUOTE]

so what are some of you evo 9 owners going to do about the smaller space when upgrading the front mount intercooler? or does it not matter?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hole is smaller,normally I like my holes tighter, but not for my intercooler
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Will the 5-6 inches of greater cooling capacity affect the performance enough to cause a noticable difference? (some of the evom math/physics gurus please chime in)
Old Jan 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

First and foremost, I have NO data to back up my statement and it is solely my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Second, even without ambient airflow across the entire face of the core, the charge air will still radiate some of it's heat to the fins and material of the intercooler core that is hidden behind the structure of the bumper. Just not quite as much as the part that is seeing the higher amount of ambient airflow.

It is quite obvious that Mitsubishi didn't design this bumper with Buschur, Nisei, and every/any other aftermarket company in mind. They obviously designed it to maximize the airflow over the face of the core of the OEM intercooler, and that's it, whereas on the Evo 7 and 8 front bumpers, a large amount of air was able to go around the OEM intercooler, which is why larger aftermarket units that filled up the grill opening so much more were so effective. Consider that any amount of air under any type of testing will always follow the path of least resistance.

Yes, it's a disadvantage, but I highly doubt anyone, ever, at any point in time in the future, with any possible testing that may be conducted will be able to deffinitively point out that the reduction in cooling efficiency of an aftermarket intercooler when using the Evo 9 front bumper in comparison to the same intercooler on the same car using the Evo 7 or 8 front bumper instead, will result in a substantial loss of cooling effiecieny, performance or power. It's just not going to make a measureable difference. The majority of the face of the aftermarket core will actually still be receiving more direct airflow and the remaining hidden portion will still radiate heat to a certain extent which will still likely be a larger and additional volume of space and cooling surface than was available from the OEM intercooler, so it may wind up being MORE efficient anyway.

I've already got an Evo 9 front bumper on the way to me, and we're still finalizing the design of our own front mount, so I will eventually have an opportunity to find out for myself and possibly conducts some emperical testing, but I don't know that I'll even bother unless I notice any negative side effects after installing both together.

Again, this is just one man's opinion!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, i also have to add to this, ever see a car in a wind tunnel, the wind does not follow a stright path after the obstruction, it immeidatly tries to flow back (kinda hard to explain). THis is the same with the evo9 front bumper, the misconsecption that your making here is that airflow flows stright all the time, that is not the case as well as since the aftermarket intercolers have a very small ratio of free flow vs obstructed flow, that will force more are to expand over the face of the IC instead of go through the intercooler, i HIGHLY doubt this new bumper will effect performance vs the evo8 bumper
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrmin
still thinking
So am I.

If you can't form a complete sentence then do not post. Additonally, many of your last 20 posts have been removed as they are one word meaningless responses. Your for sale post was trashed as you now have less that 50 posts. The For Sale feature of this website is a privilege for those who contribute to our site. Not for spamming it. Thanks.

Speedlimit....