Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am i thinking too hard??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am i thinking too hard??

Maybe I am thinking to hard about this, but here is the situation, Currently I have Buschur Stage 1 on my car, minus the flash, and have Stage 2 and 4 sitting at home (as of tomorrow or Friday they are on the way) Anyways, there is something to try and get AL to come to the Midwest somewhere, nothing set in stone for sure tho. Anyways Stage 4 is the Injectors and Walboro, now if I plan on installing it myself, and I want the flash, but if I install those two items my car will run rich as hell.

Now another thing would be wait to install Stage 4 and get the flash and then install it when I get home, but then my car won’t be tuned for it. Point being I want to get tuned for everything. The only thing I can see doing is installing the Injectors and fuel pump wherever AL maybe if he comes to the Midwest somewhere, that is the only thing I am finding out to be the best bet, any other suggestions?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a SAFC2 and tune it yourself
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

I dont really understand what your saying exactly, but don't get it tuned until you have everything on, especially your FP and injectors. You hit the nail on the head, it will run rich; and you won't be able to maximise your power potential.

Edit: OH OH OH, i get it.

Put your stage 4 on right before the tune, or as close as possible; and have Al tune it with them installed. It wont really hurt anything for you to run rich for a short time, and just don't plan on doing any kind of racing until after the tune...

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 4, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

by a tuner and go to ams.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

that was my next option AMS but then AL will be hosting something maybe in the Midwest i may do that tho. i am not to trustworthy with the SAFC, honestly i don't know how to work it haven't researched it enough.

But it won't hurt it to say run it rich for about 3 hours of HWY driving? thats what worries me
Old Jan 4, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

i dont exactly have the exact answer for you but i do have a suggestion. Just call Al and ask him what he would do!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i sent him a PM, i'm waiting for a reply.

it sux cuz its a hard decison, and any time w/out my EVO stinks
Old Jan 4, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

i understand what you mean completly, and was in the same perdicament, but i was able to just mail my ecu out and drove a friends car!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

yeah the other car isn't the issue tho, i just have to figure out what to do and in what order that won't hurt the car. Flash w/out the fuel pump and injectors, then re-send out the ECU to get re-flashed. Don't flash install FP and Injectors, run very rich, and drive to either AMS or wherever Al maybe and hope nothing breaks on the car from running to rich.

But then the only way i can get tuned is to install it and have either AL or AMS do it

UGH! man
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This isn't tough, man. Either wait to install your injectors/fuel pump right before Al visits, or send your ECU you in now for a baseflash, then get a discounted custom road tune when he arrives. This method will only cost an extra $100, but at least you get to drive your car with all you mods while tuned the whole time instead of waiting around with the mods not installed or with the mods installed and running like ***.

Yes, if you have to drive 3 hours with everything installed, it will be fine...it will just be rich.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

STOP FREAKING OUT.

Nothing will break from driving rich for 3 hours... If it runs somewhat reasonably do it, the worst thing you have to worry about is like fouled plugs or maybe the same basic issues people have when they run leaded gas. MAYBE, im not expert, but that seems like the only reasonable things that could go wrong.

I have a friend with a Prelude who ran new fuel rail and injectors and fuel pump and didn't get a tune EVER for like a year until he sold the car still without a tune, and it was always running so rich that the entire back of his was was always black, and nothing ever F'ed up. Same thing with my R6, i have piggyback and tuned it for intake filter + exhaust which makes a bike run SUPER lean, crashed it and never switched it back because i plan on replacing the parts with duplicates, but right now it has the stockers on, and all that happens is it bogs when it's low on gas... Plus a bike is WAY more agressivly tuned, so it would probably show more change then anything else.

Install the fuel stuff, and drive to the tune.

My $.02

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 4, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
Get a SAFC2 and tune it yourself
+1, the SAFCII is very easy to use, it just takes time to tune it correctly. Peace.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advice guys i think i just will install it myself and then go and get the tune, and will probably keep from boosting until i get the tune
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

thanks Warrtalon for the advice

here to all that helped out