Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My rear windshield shattered randomly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kind of hate to bump an old thread but almost this exact same thing happened to me.

Driving home from work one day and hear a loud pop, assumed it was a pebble thrown up from the truck I was following. Didnt see any cracks or chips in my windshield. Once I got home and parked in my garage I heard a noise similar to alot of fluid leaking. I check under the car in panic and see nothing. Follow the noise to see my whole rear windshield shattered but still suspended from the tint would be my guess. I dont really see any BB gun hole or even a noticeable chip. Just spidered my whole rear window.

Heres where the story is somewhat similar. I just removed my stereo and hvac controls to mock up my double din trim and galant hvac couple days prior. I had nothing hooked up. So all the harnesses were just pushed back. No stereo, no hvac functionality.

Do you guys think there might be a wire or some kind of short that may have cause the rear defrosters to do something where the glass shattered? I've never heard such a thing, but this story and mine sound far too similar for such a weird way for the rear glass to shatter.

Sorry again for the old thread bump.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
I kind of hate to bump an old thread but almost this exact same thing happened to me.

Driving home from work one day and hear a loud pop, assumed it was a pebble thrown up from the truck I was following. Didnt see any cracks or chips in my windshield. Once I got home and parked in my garage I heard a noise similar to alot of fluid leaking. I check under the car in panic and see nothing. Follow the noise to see my whole rear windshield shattered but still suspended from the tint would be my guess. I dont really see any BB gun hole or even a noticeable chip. Just spidered my whole rear window.

Heres where the story is somewhat similar. I just removed my stereo and hvac controls to mock up my double din trim and galant hvac couple days prior. I had nothing hooked up. So all the harnesses were just pushed back. No stereo, no hvac functionality.

Do you guys think there might be a wire or some kind of short that may have cause the rear defrosters to do something where the glass shattered? I've never heard such a thing, but this story and mine sound far too similar for such a weird way for the rear glass to shatter.

Sorry again for the old thread bump.

That's exactly what I was thinking, cuz the op mentions wiring stuff, one of those wires could of been the rear window defroster, and it may have gotten shorted to the chassis, causing it to keep heating. There are chassis ground metals where your head unit is all under the dash and if you drop a live positive wire on it then you got a short.

Why don't you guys disconnect your batteries when you work on electrical stuff? That's like basic.
Or in your case, you should of wrapped those loose wires with electrical tape to insulate them from ground/chassis.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by intj123
That's exactly what I was thinking, cuz the op mentions wiring stuff, one of those wires could of been the rear window defroster, and it may have gotten shorted to the chassis, causing it to keep heating. There are chassis ground metals where your head unit is all under the dash and if you drop a live positive wire on it then you got a short.

Why don't you guys disconnect your batteries when you work on electrical stuff? That's like basic.
Or in your case, you should of wrapped those loose wires with electrical tape to insulate them from ground/chassis.
no clue but insurance covered it
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:03 PM

a ghost
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:49 PM
s4m

That's irritating.