Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My rear windshield shattered randomly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rear windshield shattered randomly!!!

So my cd player broke a few weeks back (buttons wouldn't work) and i go to Best buy w/ my other car, Honda accord, i come back and im installing the headunit... (took me 2-3 hours btw cause i had to rerout all my wires to the upper din again and wire up my XM radio..

So im about finished when i noticed the radio fuse went out... so i find a looose wire that was at one point connected... and then i go under the hood to replace the fuse... replaced it and im looking around and i head a loud crack and i look into my dark coldesac and i see no one ( i mean there are lights but its nighttime) not a person in sight.. so igo about my bussiness

when i get back in the car i hear a cracking noise and i look around and i see my winsheld shattered all across (usually if something hit it, it would be that area)

upon closer inspection from outside i notice the cracks have not penetrated the outside as of yet... so it was a stress related incident i believe

what do i do
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u have to 2 options as i see it.

1. u can eat the cost of the window and have ti replaced asap as driving it in the condition could cause it to shatter into pieces if u hit a bump hard enough or take a turn hard enough.

2. u could call ur insurence company and make a glass only claim. most companies allow u to make 3 glass / vandalism claims in a year without making ur rates go up. my coverage allows me 3 glass claims with no deductable a year... but if i make 4 claims for either glass or vandalism my rates go up and my 500$ deductable is mine to pay...

call ur insurence and find out what ur options are. i wouldnt say u were fooling around with wires and it suddenly happened, as then they might not cover it. just say someone threw a rock at ur window and etc.

and for all u "its wrong to lie to ur insurence company to get them to cover something u did" people, bite me. insurence companies rape everybody every time something happens, especially young kids with how high some premiums are now - a - days. so blah! lol
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Dam that is an expensive window too rear windows costs most
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The windshield is the most expensive piece of glass on 99% of all cars- although I don't know specifically about the Evo.

It is possible for tempered glass to "explode" on its own, without touching it. This sounds like what happened here.

This happens when the tempering was not properly done and the compressive stress band on the perimeter of the glass is not wide/uniform enough. I worked for an auto glass mfg and we did have this problem once on door glass- they were exploding on the factory lot.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Jesus, how do you have all this bad luck?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Possibly some stupid kid with a bb gun shattered the rear windshield...Happened to my fiances G35 a few months back...Couldnt really tell it was a bb gun until I found the bb on the rear seat.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I would guess foul play was involved. I'd hire a ninja to sleep under your car at night just to be safe.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

no one was around quiet as a lamb

dealer is calling rep about it, the service department is astonished
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Scary, Freaky, Weird.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:21 AM

exact same thing happened on an '86 VW golf i had. I was 15 and ignorant to the fact that you're not supposed to pour water on windows when they're frozen. Later that day BAM! the rear glass shattered in to a million pieces but stayed together completely until i poked it out. You didn't do anything to cause rapid temp. changes on the glass i'm assuming? even though that shouldn't have caused it anyway. Maybe if the glass was really cold and that fuse is the same one for the wiring for the rear defroster. Imediate surge of elec. and heat on a cold window and BAM! Highly unlikey, but just a thought.
If Mitsu won't cover then call insurance. If they don't cover just ask them what glass place they send their business too. They know the cheapest in town.

$h!+ happens...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

wow that's interesting. i would be freaking out if that happened my mom's car, along with a few other cars on our block got their windows broken..sucks, but some company fixed the window on the spot but my mom now complains that the window doesn't fit as well and you can hear road noise much more..I checked it out, she was right for once (about cars)

now that i think of it, you probably have a ghost attached to that car. have you recently run someone over?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen rear window shatter like that from rear defroster, in a minivan my friend was playing around with that defroster "lines" going across on the rear window, and not sure what he did, but i think when he scratched some of it off, it shattered at the point where the line was scratched off.... lol, ever since that, i freaked out with anyone touching the defroaster lines.... i think undrcroft's explanation is most likly what happend...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

damn that sucks bro.

though you should have some cash from the wheels you sold me to take care of it..or @least the deductable.

I know you'd rather your money go somewhere else...I would too.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

and for all u "its wrong to lie to ur insurence company to get them to cover something u did" people, bite me. insurence companies rape everybody every time something happens, especially young kids with how high some premiums are now - a - days. so blah! lol
amen.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GDSM
Possibly some stupid kid with a bb gun shattered the rear windshield...Happened to my fiances G35 a few months back...Couldnt really tell it was a bb gun until I found the bb on the rear seat.
I was driving on the highway with my buddy back then in my modded 95 Integra GSR when someone shot out my pass side windows.....

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Jun 23, 2014 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: My rear windshield shattered randomly!!!